Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Pre-release)

To be honest, I hope the geonosians get an appearance, or at least a mention. It's okay to distance themselves from the PT a little bit, but imho they shouldn't pretend that they never happened.

I think he is the brains behind using the Kibur crystals to focus energy and create the super laser.

Perhaps the "planet blower upper gun" was not in the first design of the Death Star and he was brought in for just that piece of it.

If you think timeline. It was under construction at the end of ROTS and twenty or so years later it is getting finished!

- - - Updated - - -

To be honest, I hope the geonosians get an appearance, or at least a mention. It's okay to distance themselves from the PT a little bit, but imho they shouldn't pretend that they never happened.

They should at least explain why they are no longer the ones building it.

Perhaps the "planet blower upper gun" was not in the first design of the Death Star and he was brought in for just that piece of it.

If you think timeline. It was under construction at the end of ROTS and twenty or so years later it is getting finished!

- - - Updated - - -

They should at least explain why they are no longer the ones building it.

They did already show in Rebels Geonosis being wiped out by the Empire.

I believe Galen Erso worked on the technology with the crystals for the superlaser, for the abilitiy for the DS to destroy a planet. I believe the Geonosians designed the structure, and perhaps the early version of the weapon, perhaps it could only damage the planet and Erso progressed that technology? They aren't ignoring the prequels, they've got Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa in at least a scene. (And same Mon Mothma actress though she was mostly cut and only seen in background of EP3) On another note I believe Saw knew young Jyn, perhaps helped raise her. That explains his beard being dark while he is bald, and later he grows his hair back out and it's gray. (i.e. flashbacks) Forest said both looks are in the movie, not a reshoot decision.

I, for one, am not impressed with the toy-craft in AGFFA.
Would've been a fun nod if it were a Clone Trooper doll.

I'm guessing the toy is a home made toy, not mass produced. Otherwise I agree that Hasbro is better.

So I guess Galen's know-how is acquired forcibly? I wonder what his connection (if any) is with the Geonosians or were their plans purely hypothetical? Perhaps Galen has some key understanding of how to overcome some of the practical hurdles and ramifications of constructing the DS, or the superlaser specifically (although we see those silly mini-super lasers on gunships in AOTC)?

Why are the gunship lasers silly? Maybe that's a common technology and the Death Star just scaled it up? I don't know a whole lot about real world lasers, but I'm pretty sure they know that running it through various mirrors and optics scales the power. So if we can figure it out.

I'm guessing the toy is a home made toy, not mass produced. Otherwise I agree that Hasbro is better.

Why are the gunship lasers silly? Maybe that's a common technology and the Death Star just scaled it up? I don't know a whole lot about real world lasers, but I'm pretty sure they know that running it through various mirrors and optics scales the power. So if we can figure it out.

That same laser design was used in Rebels on the B-Wing too.

Probably because its a story they may want to tell at some point but aren't ready yet.

I remember the episode where the planet was abandoned, but did anyone say where they were or what happened? It tees it up, but I don't think they explained it.

Wasnt there an episode of TCW where they were living deeper underground?

And a close cousin was used by the Rebels on Hoth in TESB:

latest?cb=20071030165033&path-prefix=nl.jpg

The whole notion was just cheesy. Someone actually thought, "Gee! Let's stick tiny Death Star lasers onto these things! Awesome!"

I'd say calling the that Hoth cannon a close cousin is pretty generous. While perhaps more powerful, it's shooting what essentially appears to be a blaster bolt like we always see.

Sadly. I thought that was ridiculous too but their hamfisted handling of the B-wing and its origins has already been hashed over.

Last edited:
The superlaser might have an unoriginal/common design, but the way its set up may be different. Its not like someone thought up a supertastical one to end all guns design out of nowhere, everything takes inspiration from something. Its a space station that happens to have a giant gun on it, they took an idea and built around it with what available knowledge and resources they had at the time. Was a jet powered car an original and amazing design? It was 2 things mashed into one. Its not so much a car so it needs modifications, its not so much a jet so it gets tuned down. On the way to making it, they make some of their own ideas to fit their final product.

Too bad nobody knew about the shield refresh rate of the previous 2 super laser moon bases.

Well, looks like we'll be doing this the hard way.
Plan A - Send the crusty old white dude in to shut them down manually
Plan B - send a ridiculously outnumbered group of rebels down to blow up the generator... if they need help surely the locals will lend a hand/paw

Well I clearly overlooked how obviously useful a small antipersonnel laser would be to blow up planets. I can't believe I never noticed! :lol

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back