Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

I like it a lot and the cameos were great. But I couldn't figure out how did Dr Evazan and and Ponda escape Jedha in time from the death star when pretty much no one else did. It was a great cameo but that one seemed out of place.

I thought about that too.

My take is that they didn't force the aggro as they were on their way to ship and were out of there seconds after their appearance. That why they're d1cks to Luke, because their still feeling dissed a couple of days later when they bump into him on Mos Eisly.

I thought about that too.

My take is that they didn't force the aggro as they were on their way to ship and were out of there seconds after their appearance. That why they're d1cks to Luke, because their still feeling dissed a couple of days later when they bump into him on Mos Eisly.

I can live with that theory, thanks! lol

Someone posted that Jyn going from criminal to rebel was a quick turn but if you recall, she was with Saw from like 8 to 16 and he said she was his BEST fighter/agent.

... Agree with most nitpicky comments about empty score and the jarring manner in which the movie opens. Even if they didn't want a crawl, was the iMovie Rogue One title the best you could do?.. (just think of how good this movie would have been if it had a proper SW score. And sounded more Star Warsy) ... That said, I appreciated the effort to bring back Cushing and Young Carrie, imperfect as it was. My problem was the Prop that you COULD have gotten exactly right! The Vader suit! Ugh! They were so careful on so many things only to miss the boat on the most important thing ....

... Oh well, overall I was happy with the Movie... seeing it again tonight... and who knows how many other times...:thumbsup

I also thought it was really cool how they updated the tech but still kept it "70s feel". Along with the look of some of the rebel cast. All the aliens looked really cool as well.

It does not bother me that Vader was "more active" in this movie's fight scene. IMO, ANH was due to a limitation of technology and more recent media has shown Vader can get it done when it comes to killing rebels.

I didn't really feel he was that active for it to be noticeable. He swings the lightsaber around plenty with Luke and jumps down a flight of stairs in ESB.

It wasn't like he was doing cartwheels in R1.

What a mess... Incredibly disappointed.

Although Rogue One successfully captured the feel of the Star Wars universe (and much moreso than TFA in my opinion), the first half was ruined by some of the worst pacing I've seen in a movie. Although the opening scene with Krennic and the Erso family was fine, immediately following that scene and leading up to the final battle was complete discombobulation. Shortly after that opening scene was a period of 5 minutes where the film jumped around to different events happening on 3-4 different planets. This was the worst example of this. While I was trying to process what was happening on one planet (let alone trying to remember the name they displayed on the screen), it already jumped to another and a new scene. Many of these quick scenes throughout the first half ended up being quite pointless as well. What was the point of Bodhi and that truth telling monster or whatever it was? Did that do anything? Throughout the first half, they rarely built a scene or let some tension and suspense grow naturally through the drama. Action alone and by itself does not create tension and suspense, but rather some decent writing would.

What I dislike the most about this is that it detracted from some parts I really enjoyed and would have liked to see more fleshed out rather than jumping to something new every 30 seconds. The moon Jedha was fantastic, yet everything happening on it was going by so fast that you could barely enjoy anything happening in the moment. They brilliantly brought back Tarkin, yet he ended up being wasted as a glorified cameo. How about taking out that pointless jump between 4 different planets in the beginning that could have been summed up in one sentence in the rebel briefing room, and replace it with some more drama between Krennic and the imperials? I would have loved to see more from his character.

While the second half was much better regarding pacing, it still suffered from its own issues. That technical blabber they were spouting was unneeded and overly complicated to the point that I couldn't follow why anyone was doing anything during the battle. Why couldn't it have just been a simple grab the plans and get out with some extra scenes of them sneaking around the base?

Although the last two minutes of the film were pure guilty fan pleasure, I'll admit I did love it and found that to be my favorite part of the film. Yet that's not saying much as I have no idea what I just came back from seeing. It was pretty, and they clearly put a lot of love and work into recreating the Star Wars universe while capturing the feel well. As a film however, it was absurdly messy and disorganized. On top of it all, the music was empty. Absolutely nothing stood out from it. The music in Star Wars might as well be a character in and of itself, and it was sadly missing.

Though I am quite surprised to find myself typing this, I quite agree.

I didn't think that i would feel so *meh* about the film... but I do. I don't know what's wrong with me that i didn't love it... but I didn't.

Before the movie started I was joking with my friend that there would be a galaxy quest like obstacle course to get the death star plans. And then ........
Good movie
But of course just to pick it apart here are the little quirks that I noticed .

The only one that really threw came in the beginning of the movie . when Cassian gets contradictory orders to kill Galen rather than rescue. Why go at all then ? The whole reason is to find out if the new weapon is real and how to defeat it . if you just kill him you let the empire know you are on to them while learning nothing at all !

Everything to do with the shielded planet.

Every rebal there was trying to take down the shields, yet they need a side mission that gets almost everyone killed to tell the off planet rebals to take down the shield. Meanwhile they are attacking the shields themselves instead of the ring shield generator thing which of course is what they end up crashing the two death stars into to finally take down the shields.

Apparently there was another Sabatier in the empires engineering dept. Cuz everything on the planet is over complicated to an absurd degree.

.Nothing to do with the satellite made any sense . the fact they had a place to upload the plans at the top of the tower would be like a T.V. station having a media console on there roof just in case .

While she was moving the satellite into position as the ship shoots at her it seemed to me she ran from the blasts for a while yet ended up like 2 feet from where she started.

Bond villain anyone?
after draven gets the drop on instead of just shooting her ( like Tuco teaches us) they BOTH explain there motives and plans like they were doing a parady.

Even though there is the shockwave coming from the death stars blast they have plenty of time to climb down the tower so they can die hugging on the beach .

Chirrut and Base were temple guards but not Jedi ?

I thought not only were temple guards Jedi but they were the cream of the crop .

The inquisitor from rebels was a temple guard wasn't he ?

But still with all that there was enough other great stuff to make it a pretty good flick.

I heard that people thought Vader looked cheap...ugh...THATS WHAT HE LOOKED LIKE IN A NEW HOPE! Right down to the orange lenses. I'm so glad they stuck to the original costume.

Loved the movie. It put me into the world I've wanted to see since the originals. My only gripes, as with others, were bad scoring, bad editing, too little character development and no real chemistry among any of the actors. Acting was fine. Jones struck me as flat. A bit too, "British". I never cared about her, or any of them, enough to care when they died. They served their purpose, you just don't love them. The only characters I loved were K2, Tarkin, Krennic, and Vader. Vader NEEDS a movie to do his thing. That boarding scene was pure joy. Overall, I loved it. Better than TFA. Some editing fixes in a director's cut could make it perfect.

I like it a lot and the cameos were great. But I couldn't figure out how did Dr Evazan and and Ponda
escape Jedha in time from the death star when pretty much no one else did. It was a great cameo but that one seemed out of place.

They were the last ones the empire had on file leaving Jedha so the empire blamed them for causing the " mining catastrophe" that destroyed the city.
Hence
" were wanted men , I have the death sentence on 12 systems .'

I just didn't like the cramming of R2 and C3PO scene on the base. Having them almost get bumped into on on the ship at the end would've made more sense. Like maybe Captain Antilles saying "get out of the way" or something. Dr Evazan and Panda was ok but still even that felt like "hey let's throw in some SW characters the fans will recognize"

Other that I'm not disappointed in the movie. I loved it and can't wait to see it again.

I don't want to sit through a Justin Bieber concert for that last scene with Vader but damn! LOL

So this scene was awesome

Auownr7.jpg

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back