Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (Post-release)

i just think the movie would have been a whole lot better with a more focalized plot.

ditch the character roster. Keep the blind guy as a rebel. Keep the droid. Keep the imperial defector. keep jyn. Ditch Saw, the gun toting guy, and anyone else so forgettable i can't even remember them. like the han solo rip off. his plot line got forgotten anyway, if he even had one that was properly explained. Saw's only purpose in the movie was for worldbuilding and to bring two plot confusing plot lines together that could have been far simple-ized. Why was it the rebels where looking to rescue her? so she could arrange a meeting with saw to find her father, or to find the imperial defector? I forget....it might have been both.

I think a much SIMPLER plot would have been this.

Have Jyn be a leader in the rebellion. Her back story remains the same. only she thinks her father is dead after he is kidnapped by some imperials to work on a secret project.
a Member of the Alliance finds her after a raid, and she's taken in. Fast Forward years later. They learn of an imperial defector who needs pickup with information about a project that can destroy the alliance in one blast. First half of the movie is to find the defector in a search and rescue mission. they do. jyn learns her father is still alive. they go on a mission to rescue him and hope to learn more about this 'death star'. while infiltrating the base, they meet their adversary the imperial director. and they confiscate an imperial droid who helps them against his will (humor aspect, always apologizing to the imperials for shooting at them). they find her father, who has finished working on the weapon and is imprisoned to rot for the rest of his life. He tells them about the flaw he built in, and where the plans are that prove the flaw is there. they try to get him out, he dies. now it's far more personal to jyn and she commits herself to go on a suicide mission to retreive and broadcast the plans.

No big rebel battle (although they are informed and are ready to receive plans). a big ground battle though once they try to get out. i'd have them succeed in the ground battle, steel a ship, but then as they try to escape, the last shot is of the death star rising up like a sun and the laser beam firing, as the director had called in to try and prevent the plans from getting out.

to me, something like that would have cut out alot of the fluf and made it a bit more personal to jyn.

"I find your lack of faith disturbing."
"Apology accepted, Captain Needa."
"You feel you are being treated unfairly?"
"Be careful not to choke on your aspirations."

Vader has always been prone to quips. :)

...and if people think it sounds stupid,....do you think Vader would talk to himself in any other movie like the way he did in Star Wars.......if this were a cartoon,....then it should have been a cloud speech bubble:

CYAbNZFWMAAcXjq.png

It's like

spidey-sense.jpg

J

Curious what that's derived from. Day 1: Tantive IV arrives over Tatooine, is captured, droids land. Evening, R2 is captured. Next morning, day 2, Threepio is captured. Evening, R2 leaves after Luke removes restraining bolt. Day 3: they find R2, Larses killed, leave Tatooine. The whole time in hyperspace, on the Death Star, and getting to the Rebel base seems to take less than a day -- or at least no one sleeps. Although Luke is pretty wiped out about Ben and we have no idea how long the trip is from Alderaan to Yavin, so let that be the next day they arrive. If the Death Star takes it stime getting there, I can stretch it out to maybe one more day. Which is five. But six days? How?

--Jonah

I believe that the events on the Death Star and the battle of Yavin happened in the same day, since Vader said to Tarkin: "This will be a day long remembered. It marked the end of Kenobi, and it will be the end of the Rebelion."

- - - Updated - - -

Oh, and "We would be honored if you would join us."

And "The Emperor is not as forgiving as I am." :D

Correction, not a U-Wing but an Imperial Cargo transport they stole.

I know what you mean though. I just have to go with this one and say its possible. Rebellions are built on hope after all...

Thanks for the correction, I forgot that the U-Wing had already been destroyed by that time. Still, nobody has anything? I suppose that K2 could have been explained that he was aboard the transport and was being transferred to Scariff, but how do you explain Cassian looking different from the original officer that boarded and Jynn being shorter than the guy who's uniform she took? As I recall, there were 2 guards out in front of the transport when the inspectors went in, did they not pay attention to the people who went in and who came out? If so, it's no wonder the Empire lost, Stormtroopers have some serious lack of situational awareness, either that or everybody just looks the same to them.

Thanks for the correction, I forgot that the U-Wing had already been destroyed by that time. Still, nobody has anything? I suppose that K2 could have been explained that he was aboard the transport and was being transferred to Scariff, but how do you explain Cassian looking different from the original officer that boarded and Jynn being shorter than the guy who's uniform she took? As I recall, there were 2 guards out in front of the transport when the inspectors went in, did they not pay attention to the people who went in and who came out? If so, it's no wonder the Empire lost, Stormtroopers have some serious lack of situational awareness, either that or everybody just looks the same to them.
Guards were hung-over from spice-whisky? I got nothin'

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

no matter how positive people try to swing it,

is FAR Cringeworthy than anything else he's ever said. Jar Jar Cringeworthy.

It needed a nelson muntz 'ha - ha' accompanied by a ba dump cha symbol crash.

This may have been discussed before, but was it me, or were Vaders gloves scaled quite a bit? I thought in the OT he had more guantlet type gloves. Im on my work computer so I cant look for images, but anyone else notice that?

no matter how positive people try to swing it,

is FAR Cringeworthy than anything else he's ever said. Jar Jar Cringeworthy.

It needed a nelson muntz 'ha - ha' accompanied by a ba dump cha symbol crash.
But at least it's in line with Anakin....

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Oh, and "We would be honored if you would join us."

I think the problem people had is it was a pun.

I didn't even pick up on it... I just went "Oh Vader, ya nut! why you talking so different?" - had nothing to do with WHAT was said, but HOW...

Hey, the Tarkin CGI in today's "Eek!" comic strip was pretty good.

tarkin xmas.gif

And it looks like they also fixed that problem with Vader's neck...

A.J.

I love that ..
they all die at the end. LOVED IT. Even the people involved in the film thought that ending made the most sense, only they had an alternate ending where some lived I read but they wern't sure Disney would go for the death ending so they wrote one where some lived. Disney liked the death ending, thought it made sense, so they die. Good. It's the better ending.

And the choking line was fantastic, sarcastic, threatening, and a little bit funny. It was perfect. This bozo is talking to Vader as if he thinks they are on the same level. Vader makes an absolute fool out of him with that line. It's totally appropriate.

Has it ever been established that they can track a ship while it actually is in hyperspace? Perhaps the ship has to actually come out of hyperspace at it's destination before it can be tracked. Maybe if it took a day for the Falcon to come out of hyperspace at Yavin IV, only then would the Death Star know where it was. Maybe it then took a day for the DS to get there. No real way to know how long it took to analyze the data and get organized for the attack.

I know that theory is just a stretch, tho.....Just postulating.

EDIT: No I guess that theory wouldn't work, otherwise that would mess up the beginning of ANH with the Star Destroyer catching the Tantive IV at Tatooine.

In the EU, now Legends, they can make guesses as to their destination based on their vector upon entering a given hyperspace route, but that can give them a wide range of potential destinations, not a definitive "they're going here". That's why Han was always so keen to jump to hyperspace to evade Imperials.

It's funny, of all of the gripes I've seen hear about R1 there's one small plot hole that I'm surprised no one has mentioned. When R1's U-Wing lands on Scariff they get boarded for an inspection by an Imperial officer and the ground crew guy (or gal), right? That's 2 people and when they walk out a little later they now have a K2 droid with them, the officer looks different, and the ground crew person is a whole lot shorter and the guards outside the U-Wing didn't notice this? Also, when Cass is walking inside the base on Scariff, does no one notice that he's rather scruffy looking for an Imperial? All the Imperials we see have (relatively) short hair and are mostly clean shaven and the few that do have facial hair have neatly trimmed mustaches and/or beards, they don't look like they haven't shaven in several days.

It's a minor nitpick and it didn't take away from my enjoyment of the movie at all, but it is something that I noticed. I guess it's just one of those suspension of disbelief things, you just have to accept that the Imperials didn't notice these things for whatever reason.

Its a valid point. But an obviously short stormtrooper made it all over the actual Death Star without being noticed by anyone. Leia saw it immediately, but not garrisons of other troopers or any senior officers. This is why they lose I suppose, they don't pay attention to the details!

Was that meant to be a pun? I took 'aspirations' to mean Krennic's desire for recognition from the Emperor. But the hand gesture was laughable. It was like he'd just released a little budgie perched on his finger.
What stood out for me was the bacta tank shot followed by Vaders entrance from a misty background, like he just got out the shower. We're the emperors guards there to towel him down? :)

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back