Rocketeer Helmet and rocket pack because there aren't enough already.

That distressing is fantastic!!

As for our jackets, since each one is made-to-order, the leather is specially sourced at time of purchase (this isn't a usually stocked color), so we'd e-mail you swatches for approval before any cutting is started.

That distressing is fantastic!!

As for our jackets, since each one is made-to-order, the leather is specially sourced at time of purchase (this isn't a usually stocked color), so we'd e-mail you swatches for approval before any cutting is started.

Thank you for the compliment and the information! I'm hoping to order a jacket and boots relatively soon!

It has taken me 25 years and becoming an adult to finally obtain something I've wanted since I was 5 years old. A fully complete Rocketeer helmet! this series of photos is obviously very similar to the last post but with addition of the lenses and the liner installed. Shaping and installing the lenses was the most stressful part in my opinion.

Hereyou can see how I secured the lenses with silicone plumbing cement. I can't remember who suggested it on the forum but whoever did is a genius! Also, my custom Valor liner with additional length in the chin strap and specific padding requests. I have a rather large head and had to do some pretty serious sanding in the crown of the helmet to make I fit properly. Valor was more than accomidating with making the liner exactly to my specifications and I couldn't be happier with it!

And a couple with the lid on. Up next is the rocket pack and I'll be starting that on Monday or Tuesday next week!

See you all next week!

I started trimming the rocket pack today. Man, what a stressful endeavor so far! I even managed to snap a small hand file in the process.

Question for those of you who have one of these, how did you go about trimming the grill for the fan? I had hoped to come in from behind and sand it down to remove material but that does not appear to be an option. Just use a Dremel and a cutting wheel and be super careful? Anyone have any crafty tips or pointers before I get too far into this thing?

I'll be back at it tomorrow and will hopefully have some rough fitment pictures to share. Thanks!

:thumbsup

Your helmet looks terrible...so terrible in fact that you should pack it up in a box, tape it up, and ship it to me so that I can do something to...ummmmm...dispose of it...yes, that's it. I won't wear it myself and display it as an awesome piece...I'll just dispose of it. ;) :lol

In all reality, it looks absolutely amazing. I'm thinking Rocketeer might be my next project when I get done with my Captain America outfit...and I can only hope that mine would turn out to look half as good as this.

Looking forward to seeing how the pack turns out. Good luck, and have fun!!!!

How did I miss this thread:confused Your helmet is certainly worthy to be into a movie! Great job on building, detailing and painting that bucket:cool.
Eagerly waiting what you'll do with the pack.

I am following your progress with great interest. I'm in the beginning stages of my helmet and yours is top notch. I love the weathering!

I spent roughly five hours working today and I feel like I having nothing to show for it. No joke, two and a half hours were spent on just the fan grill. However, as I had hoped, I managed to get radiator fitted and knock out a majority of the sanding on the engines.

image.jpg1_5.jpg

It's starting to look like something!

image.jpg2_3.jpg

This thing was a pain. I first came at it from the front with a cutting wheel and after one pass was immediately like, "Eff that!" The awful dread of accidentally goring the face of the grill was too much for me to handle. I flipped the pack onto it's front and from the radiator opening I proceeded to remove material from behind with the cutting wheel. After about thirty very slow minutes I could see I had removed enough material to switch over to 60 grit sandpaper. I used the paper by hand to remove the remaining material, and let me tell you, this was no quick process. Maybe an hour passed and I switched to 150 grit paper to bring into the home stretch. After all the material was removed and the grill was cleared I went back between each grill piece with 220 grit sandpaper to smooth out and tighten up any loose ends. Over all I'm very pleased with it and don't regret the time invested. I'm sure someone will now tell me their super easy way they did it so I feel like a real schmoe.

image.jpg3_3.jpg

Proof of a hard days work! I also hand sanded the inside of the rockets body so that I can go back with some bondo and thicken up some thin areas as well as smooth out others. Hopefully tomorrow I will find some time to add bondo and sand some of the smaller pieces too.

Thanks again for for all the kind words so far!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wow! Your helmet paint work is superb! That's pretty much the look I'm going to try to go for on my comic version. I love the lived in feel. It's like the adventure didn't end after the credits rolled.

Wow! Your helmet paint work is superb! That's pretty much the look I'm going to try to go for on my comic version. I love the lived in feel. It's like the adventure didn't end after the credits rolled.

Thanks man! I really love the look of something with a lot of patina.

Id love to know what method or paints you used for the weathering!

Hi there! I've been off the radar the last little while.

To answer your question about the paints I used, they're just regular acrylic paints in various states of being watered down. I also use rub'n'buff as a base over my gold base coat. I feel like it helps to create nooks and crannies for the paint to get trapped. As far specific paint colors I use, the list is as follows. Black, umber, red, green, and white.

The technique is harder to explain, but I'll give it a shot. I just work as quickly and messily as possible. I'll apply a good amount of paint and then wipe it down with a dry paper towel or old t shirt. Rinse and repeat. If anyone was interested I would be willing to make a video showing the technique in motion. I sort of suck at explaining things.

Anyway, please let me know if you have any more questions and I should be starting work on the pack again very soon!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back