robo3687's Iron Man Pep Files - SD War Machine links page 73

Re: robo3687's Pep Files - first post updated - please read

..well, bullet resistant.. to a point.

and heavy. Dyneema is a better material than kevlar as far as ballistic resistance goes.. Probably more expensive though. haha

One of my friends works with numerous HAAS CNC and Waterjet Machines. He asked me if I'm interested in having a "real" IronMan suit. I said yes, but I'd probably have to sell my house.

dude is that MS3D? if so thats the software i have ^_^
It's actually Lightwave 5.6, circa the year 2000 or so. Back in the mid/late 90's, a couple of friends and I had a small business doing animations for local TV commercials and such. I kept the software license updated for a while, but as the business petered out (the TV stations finally realized they could do the stuff in-house a lot cheaper) I just got tired of paying out for something that wasn't generating any return anymore. So here we are 10 years later, and that old workhorse of a program is still happily chugging along. I haven't seen the need to blow money on a new package that I'll only be using for casual hobby stuff. :)

That was probably way more information than you needed, now that I look it over, but since I already typed it out... :lol

hey guys just popping in to give a small update on the status of the republic/imperial commando armour.......text only though..lol

haven't had much of a chance to work on it lately as i've had a shocking cold and haven't been near a computer all that much....and when i have been I've been working on other things....

i'll be doing some concepts of what i want to do in the next couple of days so i'll try and have something for you to see sometime this week....

you need orange juice robo! vitamin C!

seriously tho, hope you feel better - sounds good, i'll b waiting

Im kinda confused with the question, but EpoxAmite have a good tensile strength so you can use it by itself. So with the polyester body filler, you should have a solid armor.

I went away from using EpoxAmite to using a combo of Vinyl Esther resin/ surface veil just because of cost.

Sorry. What I meant was the exterior of the armor can be coated with epoxamite as well as the underside part. Or if basic resign coated the outer part and epoxamite in the underside.
As long as its strong im sure i can work with it.
Thanks for the help! :)

I'm a bit behind schedule, but I just finished getting the fibreglass cloth prepped to be resined for my suit.

After my experience doing the helmet with the cloth, I figured I'd hot glue the cloth on the rest. Too much of a pain doing it loose (and me getting covered in resin lol).

I'll be spending the rest of the day today up to my arms in resin, so I'm aiming at Tuesday to start the body filler. That will give everything a good couple days to harden up nicely. (I'm busy the next two days anyways).

It's actually Lightwave 5.6, circa the year 2000 or so. Back in the mid/late 90's, a couple of friends and I had a small business doing animations for local TV commercials and such. I kept the software license updated for a while, but as the business petered out (the TV stations finally realized they could do the stuff in-house a lot cheaper) I just got tired of paying out for something that wasn't generating any return anymore. So here we are 10 years later, and that old workhorse of a program is still happily chugging along. I haven't seen the need to blow money on a new package that I'll only be using for casual hobby stuff. :)

That was probably way more information than you needed, now that I look it over, but since I already typed it out... :lol

its okay :) it looks so much like Milkshape lol

@robo - get well soon man

well on my case im only 5'4" and i reduce the printing by 17%....

so i will get a smaller print size...but i didn't change the original scale....

58674_154151581277921_100000492392027_437370_4687731_n.jpg

47716_154151261277953_100000492392027_437363_3730277_n.jpg

it is perfectly fitted my size :lol

pareng qoudavis and ironmaided: are you guys using the samuray/dungbeetle helmets?

@MightyJohn you should upload more pics of your progress!!

It's been a busy few weeks (weddings, reuninons, etc..). I've made a little progress. Also, the Chest and Back have put me in a depressive state :) which has helped to slow the process.

But, I'm almost finished with the chest (Finally). The Back still needs alot of work, thou. The neck is finished (still gonna need to mold it or something). Left shoulder bell is finished and right shoulder is getting final paint. The front plates of the abs are in the smoothing process with the rest of the ab sections are in Pep.

I'll post some pics later this week. Once I detail paint the chest.

I've been reading the posts, just haven't logged on in awhile. Sorry to those that sent messages (I didn't realize), I'll respond soon.

I'm a bit behind schedule, but I just finished getting the fibreglass cloth prepped to be resined for my suit.

After my experience doing the helmet with the cloth, I figured I'd hot glue the cloth on the rest. Too much of a pain doing it loose (and me getting covered in resin lol).

I'll be spending the rest of the day today up to my arms in resin, so I'm aiming at Tuesday to start the body filler. That will give everything a good couple days to harden up nicely. (I'm busy the next two days anyways).

I'm glad to hear my helmet woes with resining arent just mine alone. I cut the cloth into strips and did the inside of the bucket.I too was covered in resin after messing with it. I like your hot glue idea I may try that on the next piece.

pareng qoudavis and ironmaided: are you guys using the samuray/dungbeetle helmets?

it's sharkhead.... :sleep
i'm planning to pep another 3 helmets for my future projects...mark 2, mark 3 and mark 5 after i finish my warmachine this month....:)

just wondering... what problems are you guys having with the resin for you to create a mess? are you guys having problems with your pot life, and you have the need to work fast?

I needed a 3rd hand when I was doing the helmet. Trying to hold the helmet with one hand, the brush in the other, and nothing keeping the cloth from moving out of place was the big pain.

I will say doing the rest of the pieces was easier, after securing the cloth first. Less resin stuck on my arm hair too lol.

I had used newspaper to cover my workspace, and had used it for leaving some parts to dry on (easy enough to grind away any newpaper that sticks).
I had a thought, which I wish had occurred to me a lot earlier. Use wax paper. The parts lifted off so nicely. So thats my big recommendation if you are leaving anything to dry that isn't being hung up.

oh lookee what we have here...its some commando progress finally....

chest001.jpg

will have more later

Re: robo3687's Pep Files - Republic Commando progress on page 52

hey robo - will these files be compatable with your IM work? just curious cuz it seems like this plate could serve as a viable Iron Patriot with the right painting skills

Re: robo3687's Pep Files - Republic Commando progress on page 52

they're not being made to be interchangeable with the iron man stuff but i guess it might work to a degree...don't really know

I needed a 3rd hand when I was doing the helmet. Trying to hold the helmet with one hand, the brush in the other, and nothing keeping the cloth from moving out of place was the big pain.

I will say doing the rest of the pieces was easier, after securing the cloth first. Less resin stuck on my arm hair too lol.

I had used newspaper to cover my workspace, and had used it for leaving some parts to dry on (easy enough to grind away any newpaper that sticks).
I had a thought, which I wish had occurred to me a lot earlier. Use wax paper. The parts lifted off so nicely. So thats my big recommendation if you are leaving anything to dry that isn't being hung up.

Well here the best advice that I can give you. Find a good fiberglass supply store and get a lighter weight fiberglass cloth (3/4 oz. chopped strand) or use surface veil or fiberglass tissue. Also buy some 30% MEK-P, this will help a lot because of giving you a longer pot life- 4cc w/ 8 oz. of resin will give you a 15 min pot life.

Also, go to a store and ask for some cardboard. A lot of strip malls will have a recycling bin for corrugated boxes in the back so if you can grab some of those it will be useful. Then with one of the cardboard, make a cube with the depthxwidth dimension of your helmet. Place your helmet upside down in it.

Then with your fglass strips, make sure you tear it, dont use scissors to make the strips. When you lay down the strips, you will have to overlap the frayed edges. Trust me, this will help A LOT.

then use one of these options-
Go to a dollar store and buy some of those aluminum trays. They usually have an 8x 11 size for 3 for a dollar. Make enough resin to fill the tray. Then dip your fglass strips in it, then place accordingly in the helmet.

With the brush, do not use a stroking motion if you're having problems with the strips moving. Dip your brush in the resin then "dab" it instead to wet out your cloth.

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back