Robin Hood - Russell Crowe Edition

Mojo_Turbo

6a00d8341c630a53ef01310fe28e30970c-450wi.jpg

So a long time hero of mine has always been Robin Hood. I even love the Disney movie with the foxes. And so now of course, my 5 year old son ALSO loves Robin Hood and he really loves Bows and Arrows, so I was out looking on eBay and what do you know? I found a guy selling his movie version Robin Hood costume. There are a lot of good pieces in here (and some not so good) and most would be even better with a little TLC and a lot of sunlight, dirt and bleach.

Here's what I have to work with: Parts List

crowehood6.jpg

leather/Suede Hood: It's made from genuine cowhide, and has a nice weight, but it's unweathered. So I am going to need to soften this color and get it to look a lot more lived in. I got to get it to look like this: Reference Next we have the cotton and wool shirt for a true woodsman. Stitched very well, and has a hood to boot!.But.... I don't love the condition - this might be a total replacement. This is a great reference, and I will probably use this picture for most of my comments.

crowehood7.jpg crowehood4.jpg

More of the soft parts including: Genuine Leather Boots: about knee high or calf high. They lace up and tie, and really add nicely to the ensemble. They are not the kind Crowe uses in the movie, but if they fit, I am not interested in replacing them. Oh yea, and leather pants and a leather vambrace (that's almost identical to the one Crowe wears) There is also a leather and scale mail pauldron back there plus a leather and plate mail chest piece made from genuine leather and composite mail.

crowehood5.jpg crowehood3.jpg

Sword of Robin Hood: This bad boy has a nice balance and is sharp as a razor, so best keep in the scabbard until you need it. It is the "Lions to Lambs" sword that Robin uses in the movie. (there is also a dagger in there)

Belt, Pouch, and Scabbard: This lovely belt is genuine leather, and it and the scabbard have lovely faux metal composite accents all along the length of it. It's big, but meant o be buckled AND wrapped.

Woodsman's "Machete" Sword: This a pure cutting weapon for felling small trees and enemies. Lovely rosewood hilt, and like the sword it is sharpened.

Machete Sword Belt/Scabbard: Like the hero sword, the machete sword also comes with a belt and scabbard. Although not as intricate as the other belt/scabbard, it's still made very well and is a lovely addition.

Handmade Longbow: This bow is handmade and absolutely lovely. The wood is stained dark and is accented with gold painted filigree all along the length. This bow is totally functional and has a draw strength at about 50''. The bow, strung, stands about 6', unstrung about 7'. Plus it has handmade arrows: period accurate arrows, wooden with iron tips and bronze colored feather fletching. 12 in total, and again, they can be fired. Two types of tips/heads one is a more modern tip, the other is a more striking arrow head meant for piercing shields and flesh. All tucked away nicely in a leather quiver.

Russell Crowe costume on display

P1000562.JPG

Plan of attack:

Naturally I will keep most of it, weather all of it and perhaps replace the shirt. Stuff I'd turn around and sell immediately to recoup some of my costs, probably the chest armor and the shoulder armor and both swords.

Last edited:
ok, here's a weird build..... ha ha

Yea, so I am going to the*Renaissance Fair and like most Ren costumes I aint got no pockets. So I needed a leather period looking Phone Case that could also hold some cash and maybe my ATM card.

The ones I looked at on the bay, were H U G E or just plain fugly and didn't match the character I was going to portray. I am no good at leather working, so I couldn't make one myself - so I decided to do what I do best.

Buy something and screw it up!

The first part was ordering this el cheapo Phone Case from China off eBay, literally I think it was less than $3.*

20131018_155043.jpg

I liked it cause it had a place for cards and it has actual belt loops and not just a belt "clip."

20131018_155054.jpg

First thing was to give it a base coat of white

20131018_160753.jpg

Then I painted it all leather brown

20131018_172125.jpg

I made sure not to paint the inside where it would touch my CCDs and phone

20131018_175044.jpg

Then I roughed it up with some sandpaper and other hard things, I also dusted it with a little black spray for age

20131018_192518.jpg

Then I added this little doohickie just to "period it up" (that sounds gross)

20131018_194319.jpg

I priced out everything new - back in the day when the movie was released and this gear was all new it would have cost $2,117

Buying everything second hand/found items cost me $475

Managed to sell off the forged weapons and armor individually to guys who needed it and made my $475 back

Total cost for this costume: Zero dollars

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back