RIP Philip Seymour Hoffman

Good actor, and I'm sure I'll be piled on for this...
But I can't feel bad for someone who is a success, working on one of the current largest movie franchises, and he shoots up killing himself.
My prayers and thoughts go out to his loved ones and family... But come on.

I kind of see where you are coming from, however I don't think it's as cut and dry as you make it. PSH recently checked himself into a drug program to help combat his addiction.

According to the National Institute of Drug Abuse addiction is technically a disease:-

"In reality, drug addiction is a complex disease, and quitting takes more than good intentions or a strong will. In fact, because drugs change the brain in ways that foster compulsive drug abuse, quitting is difficult, even for those who are ready to do so."

It could of been an accident while injecting methadone in order to combat his addiction, until the results come in I'm going to reserve my judgement.:)

It could of been an accident while injecting methadone in order to combat his addiction, until the results come in I'm going to reserve my judgement.:)
Except for the heroin they found in the apartment. I'm not reserving judgement, he fell off the wagon.

Except for the heroin they found in the apartment. I'm not reserving judgement, he fell off the wagon.

Well I admit I didn't know that heroin was found in his apartment, but even if that's the case I don't think addiction to heroin is easy to step away from, from an outsiders point of view it's very easy to point fingers and say something along the lines of "he did drugs, its his fault" which to a certain extent is true. But we also don't know the physiological effects of heroin addiction on a human body firsthand, I assume it's not a very nice thing to go through.

Drug addiction is a really complicated thing because a lot of people who get hooked already have an addictive personality so there you have to fight on two fronts with therapy and if there's other mental health issues involved it gets even more so. Plus drug treatment isn't the exact science they'd have you believe from what's on tv. Any drug that makes you feel good, even if it's legal, changes you enough that it's literally painful to go without. Just look at those who try to quit smoking and add that time 1000 for alot of stuff. Sadly he didn't have anyone watching his back.

One of my favorite actors since being a kid. Wished I could have seen what he still had in store for us. R.I.P.

I can muster up a lot of sympathy for someone who dies from an undiagnosed heart problem, stroke, or other issue that is usually not brought on by their own actions.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time mustering much sympathy at all when dying involves being found with a syringe in your arm and baggies of heroin.

I can muster up a lot of sympathy for someone who dies from an undiagnosed heart problem, stroke, or other issue that is usually not brought on by their own actions.

I'm sorry, but I have a hard time mustering much sympathy at all when dying involves being found with a syringe in your arm and baggies of heroin.

I've lost all respect for PSH. He left 3 kids without a father so that he could overdose with heroin. Way to go jack ass.

I'm in this camp.

Yep. Me too. I truly thought he had passed from natural causes. Now...all I can think of is his kids without a dad. I hope he rests in pain and had to endure watching his kids grow up with the pain he caused because he was selfish.

That's what people that do drugs don't consider, is how much it can effect OTHERS. They think it's all about THEMSELVES.

In my opinion you have to be fairly self-centered to use drugs in the first place.

I'm tired of people saying drug addiction is a disease! It's a choice! NO ONE is born with a drug addiction! Every time you stick crap in your body...it's a CHOICE! Is it hard to quit? Sure, but it WAS YOU who stuck it in your arm the very first time!

I've never done a single drug of any type in my entire life. I have never wanted to. That was MY CHOICE!

My mother died from Lupus, my father died from cancer.....Those are diseases!

My brother fried his brain on cocaine.....and I have not the slightest bit of sympathy for him. He chose to do so.

If he ever needed a bone marrow transplant...I would step up and give him mine.....but cash......never.

I get sick of all the people who 'feel sorry for the poor misunderstood person who could not control himself....'

Would I try to help an addicted friend or family member quit if they genuinely were trying to? Of course I would.....

Would I try to "save" someone who is spiraling down, not caring about those they are hurting...?

I have better things to do......

...Just watched Twister the other day. Must've been one of Philip's first big movies. RIP.
Scent of a Woman was the first "big" movie he was in, though I think his role in Twister was larger. Scent was the first movie I saw him in, and I remember thinking he was a stand-out actor who could have a solid career ahead of him.

I too am in the camp that feels it is unfair to use the "drug addiction is a disease" card.
As stated above... You are not born an alcoholic or drug user.
Sure... You might be born with an addictive personality, but that is not a disease.
Nobody made you put a needle in your arm. It was a choice that any drug addict could have passed on.
Once you get yourself hooked, I find it total BS to cry that it is a disease out of their control.
Tell that to a cancer patient who didn't have the same opportunity to "choose" if they wanted their disease. Tell that same cancer patient that "if you stop doing this one activity, your disease can go away". It's sad that these drug addicts have that ability to cure this disease while someone with a real life threatening illness has no option.

It's a tragic waste, and yes, it was of his making.

Having known people who are substance abusers I find it hard to take such a hard line on it though. Trying cigarettes, drugs, alcohol... They're something most of us do at some point and some of us get hooked. After that it's a difficult ride and to sit outside of that experience and tell someone to "just snap out of it" is completely ignorant of what they're going through.

I'm also in the camp, though, that says it's not a disease. Addictive nature and a pre-disposition to substance abuse are about how your brain is wired and reacts to crap you pump into your body. If that were the case then everything our brain reacts to that isn't the majority response would be considered a disease and that's nonsense.

Just very sad all around. I don't partake in celeb gossip so I had no idea he had any problem. We've lost an incredible talent, kids have lost a father, and a woman has lost her partner.

I have family members who have struggled with addictions. There tend to be two types of addicts, and the type you are can change from day to day. There are those who WANT to get clean and fight hard to get and stay clean and there are those who wallow in it and embrace it. You can have the strength of twenty people in saying no and meaning it one day, then the next day you might entirely lack any willpower and relapse. I have nothing but support and feelings of heartbreak for those who are fighting this, whether they are winning or losing that battle. For those who for whatever reason are not trying to stop, I have anger for them. Anger for the world being such a beautiful and wonderful and amazing place, yet they can't experience it without being removed from it.

For anyone who has not had personal experiences with addiction (be it yourself or having helped at least one person through an addiction), you really have no idea what you are talking about. Yes, I feel angry and that he was being selfish, and yes the blame resides with him, but that doesn't mean he is some sort of POS person like so many people here and elsewhere have made him out to be.

Edit to mention:
Tell that to a cancer patient who didn't have the same opportunity to "choose" if they wanted their disease. Tell that same cancer patient that "if you stop doing this one activity, your disease can go away". It's sad that these drug addicts have that ability to cure this disease while someone with a real life threatening illness has no option.

In the same vein, I know someone who was diagnosed with breast cancer, yet she kept smoking two packs a day even after surgery when she was told she really needed to quit, for both the cancer AND for helping her body heal after surgery.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back