Rey - Star Wars: The Force Awakens Build (open for everyone!)

couple questions on the amz bag.

did you have to remove a round metal thing that held the flap closed on the lower corner of it?

where did the leather come from to make the side holder for the tall greeblies? did that come off part of the bag or from somewhere else?

couple questions on the amz bag.

did you have to remove a round metal thing that held the flap closed on the lower corner of it?

where did the leather come from to make the side holder for the tall greeblies? did that come off part of the bag or from somewhere else?

Yes... I just pulled the magnetic clasps off....they are just tacked on with metal tabs.

I reused leather that i cut off to make that part. Since I practically cut it in half, there was lots of excess. LOL

Well at least Daisey likes my costume....;)

13173871_1167696183240601_2772825143483882277_n.jpg

How did you all sew the two slings together? And how much needs to be cut off of the second one?
I'm afraid that once I cut them they will unravel past the splice in the sling, if that makes sense.

Almost finished with my new belt! This time in leather. I've never worked with leather before, so please be kind -.- The color is a bit redder than I was expecting, although this lighting REALLY brings it out. I still need to darken the edges, but I haven't decided if I want to layer on more dye for that or try something else.

http://iconosquare.com/p/1241734488178988684_492034260

You did great! Way awesome for a first timer!

I'm not the best at how to change the color, but I bet it can be done. Ask your local leather shop?

WHUUUUUT?!??!! An excuse to show off my work?? :lol

Here you go:

View attachment 621845View attachment 621846View attachment 621847View attachment 621848View attachment 621849View attachment 621850View attachment 621851

I still have some weathering to do. i did some last night, but it isn't quite there yet. I only have about 1-1/2 weeks before the next con though...so I've got to get cracking!

If you need any closeups of other places just let me know. :thumbsup

Now looking at it again I'm wondering if my amazon bag didn't look better...it was certainly more broken in. it will take years for this leather to get that broken in :facepalm

Hi Kristen, Thank you so much that really helps. Your work is fabulous, I'm in awe of you!! You certainly have a talent, unlike me I'm afraid I find everything quite hard going but this is my first attempt so hopefully the more I do the better I will get. Keep showing off your work as you're a real inspiration to newbies like me. Best wishes, Di

Made some temporary Rey boots!

http://iconosquare.com/p/1244207273774061169_492034260

I still plan to buy the Po-zu boots, since I'll be applying to join the Rebel Legion, but these should work decently for my con in two weeks. They're not perfect, but considering shoe covers have always been my biggest weak spot I'm pretty proud of these! The boot shaft tops aren't even, but it's less noticeable when they're being worn, and I might be able to adjust it if I find it bothers me that much.

- - - Updated - - -

You did great! Way awesome for a first timer!

I'm not the best at how to change the color, but I bet it can be done. Ask your local leather shop?
Thank you!! I think going over it again with the same dye, or a more neutral colored dye should help a bit. If not, I do have extra leather to redo it with a different dye. And now that I actually know what I'm doing it shouldn't take as long lol

How did you all sew the two slings together? And how much needs to be cut off of the second one?
I'm afraid that once I cut them they will unravel past the splice in the sling, if that makes sense.

I used two slings, and cut one in half.

I used half to complete my staff sling, and saved the rest for use on my backpack (it's used to hold the water bottle on)

I hand stitched the slings together END TO END. Don't overlap them! Butt them together and hand stitch together.

The British webbing won't come all apart and fray that much. It might fray a bit... but that adds character. Just take 1/2 of your second sling and butt it up to the end of your whole sling (after you've cut the metal ends off , obviously) and hand stitch together. :thumbsup

So Kristen was gracious enough to hook me up with her old petzl gloves. The cuffs were already removed, so all I had to do was make new cuffs out of some thin leather I had, sew them on, dye them with the dark brown antique gel dye and weather them up some. I think they came out pretty well! Thx again Kristen!

rey-gloves-dye.jpg rey-costume-gloves2.jpg

Last edited:
12744279_1721629284748852_5782301819460328137_n.jpg

Here's a picture of my Rey cosplay I wore back in Feb. I darkened the wrap dress since I felt it was too light. My issue I had was that the wrap dress kept sliding off my shoulders. What have you guys done to prevent that from happening or does anyone else have that problem?

View attachment 622347

Here's a picture of my Rey cosplay I wore back in Feb. I darkened the wrap dress since I felt it was too light. My issue I had was that the wrap dress kept sliding off my shoulders. What have you guys done to prevent that from happening or does anyone else have that problem?

You can sew it to the shoulders or use a bit of Velcro. A small tab should do it. Officially, it's sewn in. Mine isn't, and it stays well with the belt tight, but I'm likely to do a bit of Velcro. I know someone else here did that and it looks fine and does the job but gives you the option to remove the wrap for washing the shirt or whatever.

Slowly, slowly -- here's my progress so far:

image.jpg

IMG_1506.JPG IMG_1501.JPG IMG_1503.JPG

The shirt is cotton jersey, the wrap dress a crinkled cotton, and the arm-wraps some old ace bandages -- all dyed with coffee and black acrylic. It was Folgers, so they smell absolutely terrible, but I like the dirty, weathered look a lot. The pants are made from a polyester blend that was too light, so I dyed it too dark with Rit's new polyester dye (which worked waaay too well!). I honestly don't mind the darker color, though - it's more flattering, and I'm not shooting for Rebel Legion accuracy.

I also made the head wrap from linen, in the pattern of an extra-large, long-sleeve T, which needs some shaping and weathering. The leather backpack is made from the same messenger bag as Kristen. I got the bag for 30 bucks, so it was worthwhile; but if you can get the amount of leather for cheaper, do. The pattern is quite simple and the leather from my bag was of terrible quality, with all of the hardware rusty (already weathered for me!). The webbing is some white cotton webbing by the yard from Joann's, weathered with green and brown acrylics.

I've got two more weeks to finish the scavenger look and start the staff, so I'd better get crackin!

Last edited:
@kristenhenry70, thank you! I've been wanting to finish the sling (I have all the hardware) but was really afraid of messing the slings up.
springsteel, I love the way that it looks with the black acrylic added! Really dirty! It reminds me of the early promo pictures, where her outfit looked like it was mostly shades of grey.

List of progress time! I'm so excited that everything I've tried has gone so well! I've been doing a lot of things (like dying) that I've never done before.
My wrap dress is done!
My pants have finally reached a mock up I'm happy with, so I'm going to try that stone washed silk for the final ones.
My arm wraps are almost done. I went with Johnson and Johnson wide nonstick bandages and dyed them with used coffee grounds. It has a nice mottled grey-brown look, and has picked up the dirty looking pilling on it. I still need to get compression sleeves; I was wearing them all day at work today, and they were a little uncomfortable.
I'm still looking for webbing that looks similar to the British webbing used on the signal satchel, and then I'll be done with the belt bag.
Does anybody have leftover pieces from the shoulder straps of their signal bags? If you do I'd be interested in taking them off your hands.

Last edited by a moderator:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back