Rey Alternate Outfit? (possible spoilers)

Sorry posted on my phone yesterday on my way to ECCC, so I didn't explain.

This is the Gauntlet.

icm_fullxfull.113327552_1zy54sclzqe8c0wwscgg.jpg

Looks fantastic!

Gauntlets solved!

Leather hole punch with the pattern I posted before. I just used fray check on both sides and it worked wonders. I used permanent marker for the smallest "holes" as I didn't have a punch that small BUT I think now looking back that the smallest holes are just a regular stitch done with a wing needle. Anyway, here are a couple of photos of the results! I am officially DONE with my costume!
View attachment 711434 View attachment 711435

Does anybody have any good secrets for making the knee pads on the pants screen accurate? It looks so simple. But, alas, it's not.

- - - Updated - - -

Haha Yes! Why does this costume seem to be so simple, but everything is NOT simple :)
Fear is of the dark side. And so are those gauntlets. They're super intimidating! (Haven't made mine yet and went ahead and bought some from an Etsy seller. I'm hoping they work out well.)

I used this one, too.

- - - Updated - - -

Dude. Yes. For me, it's the colors, though. I dyed so much for Scavenger Rey. I mean, is it grey? Is it tan? Greyish-tan? UUUUUUUUUUUUGHGGGGGGGGG!

YES, the colors. What in the world?! Oh, it's a medium gray with black-ish spots. No, it's a lighter gray--with herringbone. Oh, this doll makes it look tan. Only Daisy Ridley and the costume designer may really know what color her costumes are at this point.

YES, the colors. What in the world?! Oh, it's a medium gray with black-ish spots. No, it's a lighter gray--with herringbone. Oh, this doll makes it look tan. Only Daisy Ridley and the costume designer may really know what color her costumes are at this point.

It's very much lighting-dependent. I just submitted for RL in this outfit, and my pants look more white than grey, but in real life, they're pretty grey. Sigh.

I have another pair in the works, though, because I'm not completely happy with the knee pads on my first try.

It's very much lighting-dependent. I just submitted for RL in this outfit, and my pants look more white than grey, but in real life, they're pretty grey. Sigh.

I have another pair in the works, though, because I'm not completely happy with the knee pads on my first try.
I have played around with how I'd LIKE to do the knee pads, but I don't think I'm quite skilled enough to do it that way, so I'll carry on with what I can do and deal with it, I suppose :) Good luck on the submission. I'm sure it looks great. I hope to submit when I get everything made, which will be months from now :) Hopefully by the end of June I'll be done for sure!

I have played around with how I'd LIKE to do the knee pads, but I don't think I'm quite skilled enough to do it that way, so I'll carry on with what I can do and deal with it, I suppose :) Good luck on the submission. I'm sure it looks great. I hope to submit when I get everything made, which will be months from now :) Hopefully by the end of June I'll be done for sure!

I'm not super skilled, either. Completely self and internet taught and I don't do anything "right," but just what seems to work. And I've come a long way, but still sort of make stuff up as I go. ;)

Anyway...what I did was take a thrift shop pair of trousers and cut them shorter. I used the cut-off part to make the knee pads. I then ripped the seams from the lower parts of the trousers up to the point where the horizontal seam across the knee is and cut off the front part of the leg. I then sewed the knee pads on the cut-off part and then sewed it back on the pants. Does that make sense? It made it much easier to put the knee pad on the pants. (Basically, I made the front leg section as a separate piece and then sewed it onto the trousers instead of trying to sew the knee pad directly on the trousers.) Then I hemmed the legs and cut the slit in the side. As for making the knee pads themselves, well, it's just a pain, but I believe in you!

Let me know if I can help at all. :)

Nice!
Looking great! What fabric did you go with? That looks like Dorr Mill. My fave hehe.

I'm hoping to make a write up on how I did mine soon to help others out!

Thank you! I need to remake my trousers (darker, larger knee pads), but otherwise pretty happy with most things. I applied to Rebel Legion just to get early feedback, and they said my vest was too light (gauntlets, too). I'm not sure how to fix that.

In answer to your question, I'm not sure what fabric was used, because I bought my vest from an Etsy seller. Wonderful transaction, and she is working with me to try to figure out how to darken the wool, too. But while we both agree it is a bit light, it's scary to try to fix it with dye, etc.

Any ideas, guys? I'm scared of messing up the vest and a bit sad (but not much - I've been down the RL road before - I know there's always something to fix). Ideas?

(Yes, I'm going to try lighting changes first, as like all greys and tans, they change a lot in different lights, but...yeah. Ugh.)

I had looked at doing some weathering on mine a while back and i tried blotting the wool with some darker gray watered down acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium applied with a rag. I ultimately decided not to do it, but the test pieces i tried came out darker, but still had the color variation.

Do a test piece, go in light layers and proceed with caution if you decide to try it. The paint needs to be thin so it doesn't sit on the surface. And you will prob need to mix wht and black to get the exact gray shade you need.

Last edited:
I had looked at doing some weathering on mine a while back and i tried blotting the wool with some darker gray watered down acrylic paint mixed with fabric medium applied with a rag. I ultimately decided not to do it, but the test pieces i tried came out darker, but still had the color variation.

Do a test piece, go in light layers and proceed with caution if you decide to try it. The paint needs to be thin so it doesn't sit on the surface. And you will prob need to mix wht and black to get the exact gray shade you need.

Thank you. I thought about paint, too, but way scary. Turns out, my Etsy seller for the vest/gauntlets talked to Owlfeathers on Facebook and there is a plan for dyeing it.

Here goes nothing! :)

Finished my holster today. Didn't do a full mock-up, but here it is:

Used a snap instead of a stud for the fastener on the loop because (A) I had snaps readily available and (B) ease of use, both while making and wearing. I've never done a stud fastener before, and I was worried about getting the fit just so that that it worked right.

Blaster is a 3D print from Etsy.

Which one?

Where did I buy the blaster?

I got mine from an Etsy shop called NerdPrints3d. I waited to post that here because I wanted to review the product first. You can get more info on my experience on Etsy in my review. Bottom line: perfectly serviceable blaster for a very reasonable price, but poor seller communication for my particular sale and I had to pay extra postage on it.

It's hard for me to tell the colors well in the first pics, but that last one looks great! It looks like the grey came out pretty well.

Speaking of grey, Dharma has a new neutral grey dye. Looks pretty sweet, so I'm thinking of trying it. I will let you all know how it works if I do.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back