Recaster alert!!!!!!!!help

Lord of the props

A few years ago Philip Robinson (Cyberman) sculpted a very nice bust of Harrison Ford as Indiana Jones for me
and Elm-Studios as a commission.
Recently I sold a few castings to hardcore fans both over forums and ebay.
And I sold one casting on ebay that I shouldn´t have done.
I didn´t know this guy was a recaster, but i should have looked him up before sending him the invoice.
When the bust was delivered he claimed that the bust was not as good as it should be which of course is a BIG LIE.
So therefor he opened a dispute and later a claim on me as he wanted a refund.
He stoped answering my messages through ebay and just wrote through Paypal, lies lies and lies.

Now Paypal has decided to refund his money and that he should send the bust back.
But this is what he wants, to recast the bust and then send it back with a refund from Paypal.

I have written so many messages to Paypal but they don´t listen. This is a very bad system for a seller,
as the buyer has all the advantage on his side.
He has until the 20th of may to proof that he sent the bust back to me, BOY so much time to make a perfect mold.

I am very upset and disappointed at Paypal and ebay who´s doing nothing to prevent this from happening.
I have been accused many times my self for being a recaster, and later on the truth has come forward that that was not the case.
Therefor I am gonna go to the bottom with this and try to stop as many recasters as i can, I will start with this guy.
His members name on ebay is "enruni80" and his name is Enrique lives in Spain Madrid.

Does anyone know this guy and do we have anyone close to him?
Please help me out, what should we all do?

Best regards
Bjorn

That is very sad. I frequently see him selling poor recasts on ebay but people still buy them despite the fact that it is ripping off the original artist not to mention that they look terrible.
I'm not sure what you can do though as ebay and Paypal do very little. Whenever I sell something, I always check the feedback of the buyer just in case. There are a handful of people who are clearly recasters and I would never have anything to do with them.
I hope you get it resolved in your favour.

If Phil sculpted it he can sign up for the VERO program and prevent ANYONE from selling casts of his sculpt. If you own the sculpt and rights, you can do the same. A commissioned work is still your property even though you do not have the copyright for the character, you have the rights to the sculpt. Many model kit sculptors and producers use the VERO program to stop recasters.

Just an idea to look into that.

Hi Bjorn.
I can understand what you are saying with Ebay, they will in most cases side with the buyer and the private seller has little chance of getting a fair result.
Even if you have a strict Return policy they will side with the buyer as Ebay is becoming a buyers Supermarket.

I have Seen many Recast's floating around the UK Ebay and always Cringe at the Quality of the cast these people sell..

The only way to Completely stop re-caster's is to work in Silicone. but this is Not fair to Honest buyers! :(
I even made a certificate with my Robocop bust to further protect it from recast's. :thumbsup

I would love to see theRPF site have a more involved selling feature for true artist's to advertise they work..
Collectors can buy from the Original artist who created the Work and know there piece was a Original cast from the artist.

I would also be willing to pay for this type of feature as Ebay fee's are crazy and way overpriced.
If this could be an option for theRPF Site i would be happy to back it all the way
as the junkyard is Good, but it would be great to see a more advanced system so the artist can enjoy advertising there work
and not keep bumping it when it disapears. :D

Thanks

I'm not sure how I could help but if you ever need me for anything, let me know Björn and I'll be glad to help!
I hate those recasters... :(

Man, that is rotten! I hope he gets his comeuppance soon. Do your pieces have any distinguishing marks to assist in identifying them? I will certainly keep an eye out, I hate people like this!!!!! GRRRRRRRR

Hi Bjorn.
I can understand what you are saying with Ebay, they will in most cases side with the buyer and the private seller has little chance of getting a fair result.
Even if you have a strict Return policy they will side with the buyer as Ebay is becoming a buyers Supermarket.

I have Seen many Recast's floating around the UK Ebay and always Cringe at the Quality of the cast these people sell..

The only way to Completely stop re-caster's is to work in Silicone. but this is Not fair to Honest buyers! :(
I even made a certificate with my Robocop bust to further protect it from recast's. :thumbsup

I would love to see theRPF site have a more involved selling feature for true artist's to advertise they work..
Collectors can buy from the Original artist who created the Work and know there piece was a Original cast from the artist.

I would also be willing to pay for this type of feature as Ebay fee's are crazy and way overpriced.
If this could be an option for theRPF Site i would be happy to back it all the way
as the junkyard is Good, but it would be great to see a more advanced system so the artist can enjoy advertising there work
and not keep bumping it when it disapears. :D

Thanks

How does working in silicone stop re-casters?

Silicone is harder to mould from, as you will in most case's destroy the Original piece,
especially if you have punched hair or your a novice molder as most Rec-caster are..
also you would have to use A urethane Rubber molding product or plaster, So you would have to cast them in silicone.

also the silicone bust will be more expensive to buy in the First place. :darnkids

That sucks. there needs to be some sort of "hall of shame" here for recasters and sketchy buyers.

Ebay and Paypal are pretty terrible for the seller. Not only do they now charge 10% final value fees plus paypal % fees, they will almost always side with the buyer.

are we allowed to mention who it is on the boards, so we can avoid any possible interaction/ transaction with this PoS?

- - - Updated - - -

cause more inlikely they will create a silicone mold that will last forever, and if they cast a silicone mold with silicone... well the results aren't pretty.

cause more inlikely they will create a silicone mold that will last forever,

not necessarily true. tin cure silicon molds have a 15 year shelf life or less. platinum cure about 25. the more they are used the less they will last as with all molds.

after looking at that guys ebay feedback, there were items he sold that were clearly recasted knock offs, as well as negative feedback for selling sideshow knock offs. that was a huge red flag right there. i personally would have canceled the transaction.

I Still Agree that if theRPF Site had a more advanced selling system in place, we could stop some of the re-caster's out there
by getting more buyers to buy Direct from this site instead of Ebay.

I think this is a great site and enjoy seeing all the different Projects on here, But I find the junk yard system is abit outdated for me.

it would be Great to see each artist with there own Page for showing there work
and the buyer will know its Original work from that artist.

let us know what your think.? :sleep

I'm all for trying to stop as many Re-caster's as possible..:ninja

So Let's Down some moonshine and go hunting.!!:behave

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back