Rapunzel (and Flynn)...the everlasting WIP. ( re-making bodice! )

Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP! :: Half done bodice!

You totally are just as cute as she is also! Well done!

Here is my little girl ar Disneyland last week. They sell a wig there for $20 that is really nice:

Img_0265.jpg

looking good! your fabric is excellent - reprints were a good idea, however annoying.

my only suggestion is that the bodice looks like it needs a little more of a sweetheart line. BUT DON'T FIX IT, YOU HAVE A WEEK TO FINISH.

Thank you all for your support! <3

Jedifyfe, SHE'S SO CUTE!

Val, the bodice came together with a lot of improvisation, artistic risks ( no patterns... I never use patterns. I just guess! ) and luck! Haha

looking good! your fabric is excellent - reprints were a good idea, however annoying.

my only suggestion is that the bodice looks like it needs a little more of a sweetheart line. BUT DON'T FIX IT, YOU HAVE A WEEK TO FINISH.

Thanks!

I'm taking the purple in the middle down a notch to give it more of a sweetheart neckline.. easy fix!

I am having serious sleeve issues. Thinking about it is giving me a migraine.

darker.jpg

The darker one is closer, right??

I chose the lighter first, but in person and in photos it's like a pinky pearl white... and when you'd describe her costume you'd say her sleeves are purple with pink ribbon stripes.

My only concern ( and yes, this is a real concern....I'm not just trolling.... ) is that from a straight up or down angle the shine is totally different and it looks like this!

updark.jpg

IT LOOKS LIKE CRAP!

But I won't be hanging out upside down right...? Hmm...who knows! But at the same time I feel like the light one is so bright that it's distracting and gives the sleeves an almost jester-like look.

I feel totally OCD over this and it's putting me at a huge sewing-block.

Someone just kick me and tell me what to do! Seriously. Please. @_@

Doop de doop!

Partial-thrown-together-test-fitting tiiiimee! ( What can I say? I've always liked spoilers. )

partial.jpg

A few notes: This isn't the skirt fabric I'll be using for the final product. The 'puff' sleeves literally just have hair elastics around the bottoms so they're slightly twisted and the pink sleeves are just thrown on. And yes. It's heavily Photoshopped cause I'm almost ready for some well earned sleep!

I put a zipper up the back for functionality. I know it's inaccurate, her blouse buttons up the back and the corset laces in the front...which actually doesn't make sense 'cause her sleeves are animated as attached to her corset ... so I guess it's open for interpretation as to what's separate pieces! I am not happy with this decision because the zipper I got is so off colour and it was the closest I could find... But I choose to make my costumes in a way I can dress and undress myself, so that's that. Thank goodness the fat braid will hide it anyways!

The bodice looks so small off, but on it's still too long! I'm pretty short and the 3/4 length skirt doesn't do anything for that, so the higher the waistline, the longer the bottom half will look. My main concern is getting it to cinch in at my actual waist instead of mid hips. Thank goodness I didn't TOTALLY finish the bottom of the bodice yet. @_@ Also have to make it tighter since it fits but not as snug as I'd like it to be ( you can see it bulging above my hand on the right ).

I feel like I'm in the home stretch now that the new sleeves and the hardest parts are done though.

Just have to...
- attach the long sleeves, paint them ( in a time pinch, they'll eventually be embroidered by hand )
- revise the back and bottom of bodice
- embroider eyelets on corset
- make the purple skirt next week, which is ACTUALLY something that is easy. Might have to paint it with washable paint for the holiday...again it's something that's going to be totally embroidered by hand if I can make it...if not, I want the designs to be temporary so I'm not embroidering over different coloured paint.

AND THEN I'LL BE DONE!!

It's a race against the clock!

To do AFTER Halloween
- re-order center panel fabric in a darker, higher contrast design
- embroider...EVERYTHING that doesn't get embroidered!
- buy a quadrillion long wigs to attach into one monstrously long straight glowy wig. Muahaha!

So excitinnngggg!

Re: Rapunzel ( and Flynn ) WIP! :: Half done!! Pg 6 'progress' shot

I think it looks great.....I will have to show my daughters this tomorrow.

Thank you! I think it looks rough since it's literally just thrown on and nothing is attached other than the actual corset part of the bodice to the sleeves...LOL Hopefully it looks doubley great when it's actually 100% complete!!

Your Rapunzel costume is turning out amazing!!! I can't wait to see it compelted!

This is what happens when you can't make decisions.

Between all of the second option fabric I've bought and excess of supplies that were 'just in case', I have enough stuff to make an entire second bodice. :| I wonder if I could sell that as a kit or something...haha

I would so be interested if you decided to do this! :-D

Looks incredible. It's one of my favorite movies so I have been watching this with a great deal of interest and you have pulled it off beautifully. You even have the eyes for it!

I am having so much fun watching you! You are amahzing! I made my daughter a repunzel costume this year because I just couldn't stand the store bought quality and inaccuracies. I wish I had the $ and time to do custom fabric because it totally makes the dress. And I totally hear you on the purple and pink color pallet factor. It's like that lilac color just doesn't exist in the fabric world. So, my daughters skirt is too light for my liking. I had never thought to dye it.... drat!
The wig is WOW!!!!
I can't wait to see the final results.

So cool! It looks great even without it being fitted. I can't wait to see you and Flynn Rider together in a shot. Make sure he has the "smolder" down pat!

Got the new, less shiny satin for the skirt today.

Think it's too light.

But very scared to dye it since I have no time and no replacement if I screw up. @_@

It's still darker than the bodice buuuuuttttt.... I just LOVE the colour of the shiny shiny one so much. But it's SO shiny I feel like it makes the whole thing look cheap. Opinions?

Hm. K. No. I'm happy with it! It's a titch lighter than I'd like in person, but it photographs beautifully! *_*

This is probably the closest my camera has captured the colours I have. *thumbsup* Except the ribbon is not that dark in person... but the purples are close!

punznew.jpg

Old on the right, new on the left. MUCH softer on the shine. LOVE!

If only I had time to reprint that center panel material. >_<

To do it accurately, you really have to pattern it after the one in this video:

Sesame Street News Flash: Rapunzel - YouTube

But seriously..... good job! :thumbsup

The sad/funny thing is that I can pretty much foresee this exact scenario happening on Halloween weekend at one bar or another. Pretty close to how my Flynn and I interact. :lol I HOPE my wig stays on my head though, otherwise some townspeople are going to be getting up close and personal with my frying pan. Oh yes. I will use it.

Thank you!

TIME TO FINISH THIS BODICE!

( and start on super secret halloween costumes number 3&4 )

WOO HOOOOO!

Bodice is looking AMAZING now that I trimmed it up and added the pink lace on the bottom! *0* BUT STILL needs to be taken in. @_@ Somehow, I cannot get it to be form fitting on my waist.

Current fit ( and the best capture of colours so far ):

cf.jpg

Desired fit:

wf.jpg

Yes, I want to have to hold my breath while I zip this puppy up!!!

Them hips!
That dress looks really pretty on you :) The pink fabric really compliments your skin.

Once again. Awesome work. Can't wait to see it completed with frying pan.

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back