RANCOR Sculpt FINISHED PAGE 7!

Re: RANCOR Sculpt

Head profile looks stunning, skin texture, pose, oh my, its really beautiful, in an ugly sense of course lol!

Lee

Wow, Chris, talk about leaps and bounds! He looks fabulous. I love the new head with the crooked mouth... I can imagine him grunting and snorting. Can't wait to see the arms on and get a sense of flow and movement.

Al

Thanks Al, been putting a lot of time into it. Whenever I close my eyes I can see skin pattern. This may be the first and last sculpture I do! - Nearly set the house on fire the other day. I left the crock pot on high and forgot about it... came back to a smoke-filled room, and the whole place stank of oil. Ha ha

Loving the sculpt!! Makes me want to pull out my big Rancor and put him on a proper pedestal!

Rancor.jpg

And yes, that's a terrible layer of dust... I'm terrible about dusting.:p

I just want to say i understand you feeling tired and needing a break,6 months is a long time but hell it's paing off for you. it IS INCREDIBLE!

Thanks very much Nial, I really appreciate it. I'm going to be finishing the arms soon and then it'll be done

Molding begins. This is where either the work pays off or goes straight in the bin!

1623792_10151950848202286_1562208361_n.jpg

^ Leg has had the sole of the foot melted onto a plastic board

1010103_10151950848752286_1059239530_n.jpg

Apart from the arms these are all going to be brush-on molds. I want to disturb the monster clay as little as possible. Here is a thin detail coat which I brushed on and then softly moved around the surface with an airbrush set on low pressure. Hopefully the airbrushing will get rid of 99% of the bubbles and fill in the details nicely.

1660534_10151950848682286_170642760_n.jpg

^ One of the legs ready for the support shell. I mixed a thixotropic solution in with the silicone and added the blocks to key form a key to the mother mold

1972266_10151950848932286_1153112867_n.jpg

Box mold of the head. Again, a detail coat was brushed on first and allowed to cure. The pouring hole will be the back of the head so this was a very simple mold to make.

I've still got one arm to finish sculpting, but I felt like molding, so I hope all these pieces match up :) They should do...

I'm still worried about doing the arms which are going to have to be a two part mold, but let's see what happens

Thanks for watching as always :)

Leigh is wondering where the excellently engineered supports are and must be horrified at how messy you are ;) Great work Chris... can't wait to see the first castings

Awesome sculpture.
I hope the moulds are going to be flawless.
Are you planning to offer castings?
If so Concider me very interrested in a casting.
Good luck with the moulding process

Thanks for the encouragement everyone. At Alan's insistence, I made a first cast of the head. Still a way to go but thought I'd show you.

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out - no bubbles at all and it has retained the details perfectly. Couple of problem areas though - the earring is only half there, which is a very minor gripe, but the two tusks did not survive the mold. Again, this would be a simple fix, but I may, if I have enough silicone left, use this resin as a master with repaired tusks. - Is that worth bothering with?

What are your thoughts?

By the way, if all goes well, I will offer a run, depending on how many pulls I can get out of the molds, so before starting an interest thread, I'll bear the above posters in mind :)

1912474_10151951297212286_909674257_n.jpg

1782169_10151951297162286_1661591207_n.jpg

1656299_10151951297537286_1176162008_n.jpg

1948240_10151951297197286_45085796_n.jpg

Broken tusks ^

That's come out lovely!! So I assume your getting a little trapped air on the tusks & the ear ring. I struggled with trapped air at the tip of Bobs teeth I ended up using a scalpel & slitting right through the mould at the tips of the teeth. I then dusted the mould prior to casting & made sure there was talc in the slits.... problem solved!! I have a little flashing on the teeth after casting but IMO its easier to remove a little flash than have to fill a hole or bubble. Obviously I wouldn't recommend hacking into your mould with a knife with out at least a second opinion from someone with a bit more experience than me :)

HTH :)

That looks really great. So you had small tusks that came away from the sculpture? Difficult. Might be easier to just make them out of Aves... did you talc the inside of the mould before the pour? Could maybe slice the membrain between the tusk and the face and get some resin in there before the pour? You would have have a little flash to cut out, but at least you should have a tusk.

Thanks Leigh, Ralphee and Alan. I just looked at the molds and the tusks have actually molded fine, but it is just too tight an area for the resin to travel down. I have slit the tusks now and will open them and get some resin in there at the start of each cast. Should sort out the issue. I did talc the molds too.

I'm not sure how many pulls I'll get out of this head part because there are a lot of delicate silicone fronds and stuff, but we'll see. Thanks all for the advice :)

That first head pull is simply superb even though his teeth and ear ring it looks altogether beautiful and clean. Well done!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back