ThatBrien

Like many I was a big fan of the original series and the gummy bear Handlink is a favorite hand prop. The new Handlink I’m a bit lukewarm on but keep coming back to. After finding a picture posted on here by morganfeldon I wanted to take a stab at it to try and find a better appreciation for the prop. This is my first pass at a 3D model and the subsequent print. I don’t have the model separated into parts to add lights yet I just wanted to see how it felt in hand. While it isn’t the most imaginative prop and I don’t see the path the design evolution took from the original series to this I have to say I’m warming to it. I admit some liberties were taken with the model and coloring. Some were best guesses and others were just trying to find opportunities for visual interest. I welcome any and all feedback!
B8A61A7B-6A20-4CB7-ACB7-AC1A540514EA.png
92C76A18-127A-44DC-A2EB-337A865AEE95.png
DABEF69F-63E2-476C-A8DB-ED5040BDE87A.png
4CDA629A-D3E7-4A5E-A83F-ED24B1123372.jpeg

Last edited:
Good luck sanding and priming to remove the print lines, always tricky on curved surfaces and in recessed areas.
Thank you and that is quite true. After some adjustments Ill probably print it again with a smaller layer height or in resin which will be much easier to sand. The recessed areas will still be fun no matter which. The curved underside printed pretty rough since I did it with out support so this print will probably live out its days as Version 1.

Since I was critical of the shows Handlink I figured I’d offer my own redesign for criticism. Forgive the animated style drawing and I know the perspective is off but I like the concept. I opted for legacy elements to show an evolution from the original props.
Really hoping this becomes the eventual permanent design of the Handlink. It's a perfect simplified, yet logical evolution of the original Handlinks, and it looks a lot closer to the current Project HQ set design.

Really hoping this becomes the eventual permanent design of the Handlink. It's a perfect simplified, yet logical evolution of the original Handlinks, and it looks a lot closer to the current Project HQ set design.
I also have that hope but I think that’ll be a tall order. Thanks for all the kind words! I’m glad my design intentions came through.

Modeled my version and did a couple renders so as to show it not too cartoony. Also not shown in my first sketch is the rubber pad on the back to make it more comfortable for the user to hold.
Would you ever consider making this available for printing? It looks like it would make for a fun project, and I would love to include it with my other Handlinks!

Would you ever consider making this available for printing? It looks like it would make for a fun project, and I would love to include it with my other Handlinks!
Sure thing. I have no problem sharing files. Currently this file isn’t ready to print, I wanted a quick mock-up to make it more feel more substantial, but when I get a chance I plan on getting it to that point.

One more design:

In addition to coming to a design from a legacy standpoint I wanted to try one as if I went in cold. The following is what I would have come up with had I been tasked with designing a hand held device connected to a supercomputer meant to operate in a virtual space. I get a sense this is how the current production came to the disc Handlink.

I came up with something similar to a VR controller. For outside the imaging chamber there is a small physical LCD display you could scroll through with your thumb. Also I added hot keys where your fingers rest on the grip. It would allow the imaging chamber to track the users position and also the front facing sphere would act as a anchor point for the imaging chamber to map out a virtual interface.

I’ll be modeling this too as time allows .

As always I welcome any and all feedback
1F2A3AE9-B5FF-48AE-91C3-5A23D03ABFA7.jpeg

Since I was critical of the shows Handlink I figured I’d offer my own redesign for criticism. Forgive the animated style drawing and I know the perspective is off but I like the concept. I opted for legacy elements to show an evolution from the original props. View attachment 1636885
Some great outside-the-box thinking here!

If they had approached us on making a crossover or nostalgic one, I had some ideas of a beat up gummy bear with nixie tubes and a text display added to it. The nixie tubes would show percent chance of success. The text display would have cold cathode tubes like 80's VCR / clock radio displays and display useful information like who Ben leaped into and the date.

Some great outside-the-box thinking here!

If they had approached us on making a crossover or nostalgic one, I had some ideas of a beat up gummy bear with nixie tubes and a text display added to it. The nixie tubes would show percent chance of success. The text display would have cold cathode tubes like 80's VCR / clock radio displays and display useful information like who Ben leaped into and the date.
Thanks! That’s very much appreciated.

I like this idea for a modded/repaired/hacked gummy bear Handlink. Especially seeing the direction the show took I could see this being used by Al’s daughter. Did you ever sketch this out?

Alas, I never made a drawing. I probably would have created it moulage, which is another way to say I'd do it by trial-and-error of holding the components up to the physical replica rather than designing the whole thing in a computer. Which is funny as I've been into computers for 37 years.

Alas, I never made a drawing. I probably would have created it moulage, which is another way to say I'd do it by trial-and-error of holding the components up to the physical replica rather than designing the whole thing in a computer. Which is funny as I've been into computers for 37 years.
That feels like the right approach when you’re fitting new elements into something that exists. Mine was easy to draw up and model since it only references the original.

I took the liberty of a quick sketch of my interpretation of your concept. I hope you don’t mind it just felt cool and I wanted to take a stab at it. I added some damage from where Al might have let his frustrations get the better of him, added a toggle switch and some smudging of where a hand that might also hold a cigar from time to time would have held it.

*Edit* updated the sketch with color
146B7BB4-053B-4B26-9549-8771DF3AC399.jpeg

Last edited:
Did you see the newest episode? It had a top view of the Handlink?
I did and thanks for posting the screen shot! I’ll be updating my model as soon as I get the chance. I’m happy they gave us a good view finally. It has more character than I first thought. Could use some gummy bears but nothings is perfect.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back