Preserving food for display?

Edged

Anyone have any ideas for doing this?

What I’m looking to accomplish is one of two methods/ideas. Either to simply spray the cereal with a matte clear coat and hope for the best or possibly to incorporate an opaque blue resin into the mix and maybe get the effect of the “milk” being in the bowl, too. I know I’ve seen this kind of thing before, but honestly I don’t think that’s necessary. I really just want to have the dry cereal
In the bowl and maybe a carton of milk nearby that I can do however.

My biggest issue are ants! One grain of sugar left on the counter, a cracker crumb or a single stray drip from an ice pop and every any in town is in my house lol. I guess I could spray a few pieces then leave them out in my yard for the day and see if they come a running. If they’re uninterested then I suppose I did it right.

Attachments

• 0AD7526B-0D66-4250-9856-FEE54E5ECD28.jpeg
    0AD7526B-0D66-4250-9856-FEE54E5ECD28.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 93
  • 621EE84B-2249-4281-AAB9-ADFE35C99130.jpeg
    621EE84B-2249-4281-AAB9-ADFE35C99130.jpeg
    92.5 KB · Views: 80
Anyone have any ideas for doing this?

What I’m looking to accomplish is one of two methods/ideas. Either to simply spray the cereal with a matte clear coat and hope for the best or possibly to incorporate an opaque blue resin into the mix and maybe get the effect of the “milk” being in the bowl, too. I know I’ve seen this kind of thing before, but honestly I don’t think that’s necessary. I really just want to have the dry cereal
In the bowl and maybe a carton of milk nearby that I can do however.

My biggest issue are ants! One grain of sugar left on the counter, a cracker crumb or a single stray drip from an ice pop and every any in town is in my house lol. I guess I could spray a few pieces then leave them out in my yard for the day and see if they come a running. If they’re uninterested then I suppose I did it right.
For those kind of cereal I used discarded bubble wrap (the big bubbles), release the air and spray foam inside it. Let it dry and paint it after.
Real food (depends which kind) has a tendency to decay or rot...some dry food is easier to keep: uncooked lentils, beans, peas, etc...
Good luck with the project;)

Thank you both for the suggestions, but I don’t want replica cereal. I want THE cereal used in the production of the show. I’ve already considered making my own and painting it, but that’s not the same. Also, I don’t have the kind of time and patience to paint hundreds of individual cereal balls. That’s sounds absolutely dreadful.

A hint on that Props America website: "product is made with real cereal sealed with resin"

So, I'd go with the resin. If it's good enough for the pros...

Oh nice! I didn’t even see that. Any idea HOW you’d go about this and which resin to use?! Gotta be a spray, right? No way they are individually brushing cereal pieces.

Something like this maybe? I was gonna just use clear coat, but this is likely better. I have plenty to practice with. I don’t even want the other colors other than the blue ones.

Edit: then again spraying cereal sounds bad,
Too. The pieces are gonna fly everywhere under the pressure. Maybe I should be soaking the pieces in something then taking them out with a slotted spoon and drying on a screen or something?

Attachments

• 70EBC2DD-DE84-4432-9C57-1FEAA941BABE.jpeg
    70EBC2DD-DE84-4432-9C57-1FEAA941BABE.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Nevermind, it looks like they went with my first idea and actually sealed it in the resin to look like milk. I’m not adverse to this way. I think it would look nice, actually. I would just need to find the spoon first, which is alluding me atm.

Afa just sealing the dry cereal. I think the above spray pointed into a deep bowl or box while constantly shaking the cereal to assure and even coat then dumping them out on wax paper would totally work for that method.

Attachments

• 97F6CA17-3246-4A74-A05F-BE590CEFB7FD.jpeg
    97F6CA17-3246-4A74-A05F-BE590CEFB7FD.jpeg
    135.8 KB · Views: 47
Nevermind, it looks like they went with my first idea and actually sealed it in the resin to look like milk. I’m not adverse to this way. I think it would look nice, actually. I would just need to find the spoon first, which is alluding me atm.

Afa just sealing the dry cereal. I think the above spray pointed into a deep bowl or box while constantly shaking the cereal to assure and even coat then dumping them out on wax paper would totally work for that method.
Looks real(y)(y)

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back