Pokémon: Detective Pikachu (Post-release)

What did you think of Pokémon: Detective Pikachu?

• It was disappointing.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • It was bad.

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

Darth Lars

Master Member

A live-action Pokémon movie, but Pikachu is a detective and speaks English.
Voiced by Ryan Reynolds. ("Pikapool" is already a meme on some forums ... ;) )

Well, I don't ... ever ... what!?
Apparently, this is based on a video game with the same name that came out earlier this year for the Nintendo 3DS ... but which went under many people's radar:

Last edited:
My youngest daughter, who used to play Pokemon back in the day, came out yesterday and wanted us to watch the trailer. That was painfully bad. It just looks awful. Not just the story, which granted it's a kids movie so it's going to be stupid, but the CGI is horrible!

Yea, the game has been out for a while in Japan, but just came to the US pretty recently. I'm not familiar with that game's plot, or how closely the movie will follow it, but I do think doing this movie based on an existing "stand alone" concept like the detective game is probably for the best.

The plot in the original games wouldn't translate well to a film that tried to retell it (which is why the animated Pokemon movies are more like really long episodes of the show), and if you've GOT a detective game that pulls from the lore so many of us already know, why not turn it into a buddy-cop movie?

I expect this will be an entertaining movie that those if us who have enjoyed Pokemon in the past will enjoy.

Am I the only one who thought of Ted when I watched the trailer?

Nope, not the only one, it definitely had that vibe (not as raunchy of course).

Saw this when the trailer popped up and immediately sent it to my son (who is 25 and grew up with all things pokemon) he replied "I don't know what I just watched but I HAVE to see it" and I agree. Even my wife agreed, looks different and fun.

OMG I´m so hyped.. this will be sooo cool *O* I am already sure that I want to make props from the movie for my pokemon cosplay <3
Charmander and Charizard stole the show. They look so amazing! WOW. A Dream is coming true with that movie :D Sorry for fanboying.. ^^' But this is WOW. Now hoping the stiry is good, but Nicole Perlman (the woman who rote guardians of the galaxy) wrote the story for the movie, so the chances are very good that the movie will be awesome, too :)

Nope, not the only one, it definitely had that vibe (not as raunchy of course).

Saw this when the trailer popped up and immediately sent it to my son (who is 25 and grew up with all things pokemon) he replied "I don't know what I just watched but I HAVE to see it" and I agree. Even my wife agreed, looks different and fun.

I feel like it might be really good and it might be really bad, but I need to see it either way. The voice of Deadpool on Pikachu? How could I not watch that?

I've been hyped for this since it was first announced (what, last year? Earlier, even?), and this trailer just made me more excited. It looks amazing. Honestly, the CGI is realistic enough that I mistook Pikachu for animatronic at first.

I've already planned my first two viewings. First, May 9, 9pm (I'm in Seattle, so "midnight" showings are at 9pm), for my birthday gift to myself. Then, for my birthday party, the 11th we'll all go.

i went and saw crimes of grindlewald last night, and sure enough like i predicted this trailer aired before it. before the pikachu trailer there was 3 or 4 other trailers the audience was dead quiet, once the pikachu trailer aired there was cheering and laughing. i couldn't believe it, i thought this was gonna be a bomb movie. i guess its the wrong bomb i was thinking of

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back