Pointers for specific cloak pattern

jarodpenn

Hey all.
Working on a Jedi costume but didn’t want the standard cloak. I fell in love with THIS design but haven’t been able to find patterns for a double breasted cloak. As far as I can tell it’s one of a kind. Figure I’ll start with a wedge style cape and tailor the front panels. Anyone have any other ideas? Or know of a pattern out there I can start with? Thanks!
8EB86D48-BEA6-4AB5-9642-72574C9EA5C1.png
944B1C33-30BC-4C50-9356-05E2CB0F1182.png
952BE21D-27E6-4D64-AB6D-75336299A343.png
853D65BE-3F7D-4C8F-AFAE-BAC1C2EFBD52.png

I believe this would be a simple draft. Find a standard cloak pattern you like which has the normal center divided front. Next decide how much overlap you would like. My first impression is the overlap goes from the center-front to about 2/3 or 3/4 of the way across to the opposite shoulder ridge on each side. If your cloak pattern only has a single front pattern piece which you must cut two of – make a copy of the pattern piece, flip it over, align the center lines of the two pieces and tape them together. Now draft this double-front piece down to your overlap width with the cut line parallel to the original center front. This new piece is low at the center of the neck but rises up on both sides – one side going all the way to the shoulder cap and the other only going to your overlap point on the opposite shoulder. You will draft a buttonhole on this overlap side. You will need two of these wider front panels. Remember one side is the reverse of the other (there is a left and a right side) when you go to cut your fabric. Add any necessary facings and/or seam allowances to these new edges. A facing may be necessary if the right-side of the fabric is very different from the reverse side. This is especially true when you fold the overlap back over itself and button it to the same shoulder instead of crossing over. That fold-back is the look given in your last image.

That’s actually what I had in mind. Had to read that over a couple time to fully visualize but yeah that makes sense. Fortunately the fabric I picked up doesn’t have a front or back so I don’t have to worry about facings.

For the back, do you think that’s a semicircle or 3/4 circle?

As you know, the more of a “circle” you use, the more fabric you need and the more the cloak will drape and gather around the height of your shoulders. You might use an old or cheap bedsheet to test how you want things to gather. You want enough of a circle to surround your body at the shoulders plus some extra "ease" to allow freedom of movement.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back