Custom pattern?

Peter Parke 67

Hello, I've been trying go design my own spider-man suit and I wanna do it completely from scratch. I don't want to use the same modified Sam Raimi pattern that everyone seems to use and so I decided to give it a shot and create my own pelting from scratch. The problem for the last year or so I couldn't find a single piece of information on where to start or what to use. There was a post years ago form a user here "TheNickFox" about selling a course on this exact subject but seems like he dropped the ideas. Anyways, can anyone point me somewhere? maybe what software to use, or something like basics to know, just anything....

From your post, I am not sure of your experience level. Making custom patterns is a lot easier when you already have experience with cutting, assembling, and fitting garments from "proven" patterns, ones which many people have already been successful in following and completing. However if you want to dive into the deep end you might start by doing some "partial" costume parts. For example there are a large number of good tutorials, videos and instructions on creating form-fitted leggings. Good for learning how to draft patterns with "stretch" fabric which is a different skill than non-stretch. You can also find information on making "shoe covers" to add for the feet. Initially you might make the legging and feet separated but once you have pattern pieces for those parts, it is easy to draft a new pattern with the parts joined together. Making gloves would be another small project to gain some experience. Researching drafts for "bodysuits" should also be helpful. Good luck.

Last edited:
From your post, I am not sure of your experience level. Making custom patterns is a lot easier when you already have experience with cutting, assembling, and fitting garments from "proven" patterns, ones which many people have already been successful in following and completing. However if you want to dive into the deep end you might start by doing some "partial" costume parts. For example there are a large number of good tutorials, videos and instructions on creating form-fitted leggings. Good for learning how to draft patterns with "stretch" fabric which is a different skill than non-stretch. You can also find information on making "shoe covers" to add for the feet. Initially you might make the legging and feet separated but once you have pattern pieces for those parts, it is easy to draft a new pattern with the parts joined together. Making gloves would be another small project to gain some experience. Researching drafts for "bodysuits" should also be helpful. Good luck.
So if I understand correctly, you're saying I should learn about making pattern in a general and broad sense for multiple body parts and then assemble that knowledge/experience into a spiderman project?

So if I understand correctly, you're saying I should learn about making pattern in a general and broad sense for multiple body parts and then assemble that knowledge/experience into a spiderman project?
Like almost any project, many find it easier and less frustrating to break a large project into several smaller parts. You can then address each part individually, as they can have their own challenges. Also you will probably end up making one or more test assemblies to check your design and the fit. You may hear these referred to as "muslins". Doing smaller parts will normally save you time and fabric during the learning and testing process. Once you have the individual pattern parts you can then just tape them together to form a combined, complete pattern. So if you have a good legging pattern that goes down to the ankle, and a foot pattern that comes up to the ankle, you just match them up and combine them into a single larger pattern. (You may find examples in women's wear where a skirt pattern is joined to a blouse pattern to make a dress.) You can continue adding parts, top, hood, gloves, until you have a complete bodysuit. Also at some point you will need to determine the appropriate opening and fasteners so you can easily put on and take off the costume. Hope this clears up my earlier advice.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back