Pink Ladies, Grease spinoff/prequel series

Riceball

Master Member
Here's something new, Paramount+ will be streaming a new spin off/prequel series to Grease called Pink Ladies. The show will focus on the origins of the Pink Ladies gang seen in the original Grease and, like the original stage show and movies, will be a musical. It looks ok, but it's kind of overly multi-ethnic for 1950s Chicago, but they'd probably receive a lot of complaints otherwise. Regardless, it looks ok, but since I don't have Paramount+ I won't be watching it and I won't be getting Paramount+ just to watch it either.

Oh good Lord help us ! Who is the patron saint of bad remakes. I'm not Catholic, so I don't know, LOL.

I had a really funny non-political / non-religious answer to insert here…

But I recently received my first ever formal warning on what I thought was a non-political / non-religious post, so I’ll just not make a joke, here.

Here's something new, Paramount+ will be streaming a new spin off/prequel series to Grease called Pink Ladies. The show will focus on the origins of the Pink Ladies gang seen in the original Grease and, like the original stage show and movies, will be a musical. It looks ok, but it's kind of overly multi-ethnic for 1950s Chicago, but they'd probably receive a lot of complaints otherwise. Regardless, it looks ok, but since I don't have Paramount+ I won't be watching it and I won't be getting Paramount+ just to watch it either.

Overly ethnic...? The census numbers for around that time period put the black population at somewhere around 25%, with smaller, but not absent, populations of Asian and other ethnicities present. They're probably being overly ambitious, having Ridell be integrated as the ruling ending school segregation came down in 1954, but it's a relatively small nitpick...

I had a really funny non-political / non-religious answer to insert here…

But I recently received my first ever formal warning on what I thought was a non-political / non-religious post, so I’ll just not make a joke, here.
Oops my bad. Didn't mean to be
" religious " . Send me the response in PM. I'm not that sensitive, ; )

I dunno, I would've thought the ship had sailed on that particular piece of IP - at least in terms of public interest. But then, I would've said the same thing about The Addams Family.

I dunno, I would've thought the ship had sailed on that particular piece of IP - at least in terms of public interest. But then, I would've said the same thing about The Addams Family.
The Addams Family has had movies and cartoons running in recent years. Nobody has given a crap about Grease since 1978.

The Addams Family has had movies and cartoons running in recent years. Nobody has given a crap about Grease since 1978.
There are A LOT of people who have loved Grease beyond 1978. Just because you don’t, doesn’t mean others haven’t. The world doesn’t need to be over saturated with franchise product… like 150+ different Star Wars shows… as proof of its relevance. If you search, you will see local theaters still run productions of Grease all the time. Theaters do annual screenings. Places hold “sing along screenings”. Drive-in theaters hold “Grease night”. There are signings by the cast at conventions, and think about that…1978 was 44-45 years ago… I would hardly call that, “people not giving a crap about it since 1978”.

And as far as a new series, remember, people loved that TV show GLEE. And watching this trailer, it looks like they took the theme of Grease, and made it into a GLEE type series. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a huge hit to the fans who love musical television shows, and it just might help a whole new generation of fans find the original movie.

Overly ethnic...? The census numbers for around that time period put the black population at somewhere around 25%, with smaller, but not absent, populations of Asian and other ethnicities present. They're probably being overly ambitious, having Ridell be integrated as the ruling ending school segregation came down in 1954, but it's a relatively small nitpick...
Population by race, in 1940: U.S. Census Bureau

White: 89.8%
Black: 9.8%
Asian: 0.2%

So, not around 25% and in 2021 at: 13.8%

There are A LOT of people who have loved Grease beyond 1978. Just because you don’t, doesn’t mean others haven’t. The world doesn’t need to be over saturated with franchise product… like 150+ different Star Wars shows… as proof of its relevance. If you search, you will see local theaters still run productions of Grease all the time. Theaters do annual screenings. Places hold “sing along screenings”. Drive-in theaters hold “Grease night”. There are signings by the cast at conventions, and think about that…1978 was 44-45 years ago… I would hardly call that, “people not giving a crap about it since 1978”.

And as far as a new series, remember, people loved that TV show GLEE. And watching this trailer, it looks like they took the theme of Grease, and made it into a GLEE type series. I wouldn’t be surprised if it is a huge hit to the fans who love musical television shows, and it just might help a whole new generation of fans find the original movie.
I didn't say that people couldn't like it, I said that there hasn't been the same level of ongoing interest in the IP as there had been with The Addams Family.

I didn't say that people couldn't like it, I said that there hasn't been the same level of ongoing interest in the IP as there had been with The Addams Family.
No, you gave a blanket statement that said: "Nobody has given a crap about Grease since 1978".

I was going to ask why, but Hollywood!
One could say that about all franchises. Star Wars? Marvel Universe? Transformers? Predator? Aliens? Do we really need to keep making prequels and sequels to all those franchise?

I find humor in the mentality of, “I personally have no interest in this franchise, so them doing more with it is stupid…. But please make more of my beloved Star Wars”.

I mean, I know Grease fans exist, but this seems like just a weird choice. Why not just brand it as something different? Why do it as Grease specifically? You wanna do a musical 1950s show, do a musical 1950s show, but why make it "Grease" IP?

I dunno. There's probably some demographic data mining that shows that there are several as-yet-untapped demos out there that make a show like this viable, but it really feels to me less like someone dreamed up the idea and brought it to Paramount, and more like the data guys offered a few ideas for possible shows, the marketing guys looked that over, and then handed it to the creative folks to make the thing they ultimately settled on.

I mean, I know Grease fans exist, but this seems like just a weird choice. Why not just brand it as something different? Why do it as Grease specifically? You wanna do a musical 1950s show, do a musical 1950s show, but why make it "Grease" IP?

I dunno. There's probably some demographic data mining that shows that there are several as-yet-untapped demos out there that make a show like this viable, but it really feels to me less like someone dreamed up the idea and brought it to Paramount, and more like the data guys offered a few ideas for possible shows, the marketing guys looked that over, and then handed it to the creative folks to make the thing they ultimately settled on.
I suspect that the tie in with Grease is for name recognition purposes. I suspect that the producers and/or the studio/network were concerned that without the tie in to Grease people would just dismiss this show as a Glee clone set in the '50s. So they decided to make it a Grease prequel, of sorts, by throwing in the whole Pink Ladies plotline. But I'd be really surprised if this show started off with the idea of it being a Grease prequel focusing on the Pink Ladies.

Slightly off topic... but what DOES the end of the movie Grease mean? They fly up into the air in a car???!!! What the frick?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back