Pee Wee's Playhouse Scooter and Helmet

I agree. I think it's a welcome mat. It also looks like there's fake grass on it.

As for the pic, my best guess would be that it's from a magazine. I personally only know of a few Pee Wee related books. I own a copy of Inside Pee Wee's Playhouse. I bought it to see if I could find better pics of his helmet or scooter. I don't remember seeing that picture in it.

Paul Reubens wrote a book in 1989 called Travels with Pee-Wee. Maybe check that one out???

The only other book off the top of my head is called the Pee Wee Fun Book but I doubt it's from that book because it's more of a kid's activity book or something to that effect. But I can't say for sure because I don't own a copy of it.

The Kermit and Pee-wee image is from the old Muppets magazine. It's the center spread ... so unfolded, it's a nice big 11 x 17 image.

OK, Nick. I'll find it in my stash this weekend and scan and post it next week.

Also: Read earlier in this thread that someone suggested making a mold for a rubber skin to pull over helmets with much of the relief work in place. Paul talks about this very idea in one of his DVD commentaries. It was a product he really wanted to market for kids during the Playhouse Matchbox Toy days but couldn't get any takers. (Think it's on the Christmas Special DVD commentary that he mentions it.)

hey guys, I haven't been on here in a while. I don't know how I missed it before but I just noticed the pic of the three little bops. I think that's the closest thing I've seen to the pig we're looking for. hmmmm...

OK. As promised, here are your scans. I did one of the spread and then two higher res images zoomed in on the scooter parts. Hope you are able to pull some detail from these. Also, I checked and there's nothing in "The Fun Book" or "Travels with Pee-wee" pertaining to the scooter. There are a couple of shots in "Inside The Playhouse" but not as large and not sure they tell you any more than this one does. This is from "Muppet Magazine", winter 1987.

Winter_87_Spread_B.jpgWinter_87_CU_02B.jpgWinter_87_CU_01B.jpg

awesome, thanks! straight away this confirms the welcome mat theory. I'm sure once we all have time to study the pic we'll figure some more stuff out. I'm on my phone right now, so its not really the best way to view it lol.

is there anything about the helmet in "the fun book" or "travels with pee wee"?

I'll double check but I don't think so. "Fun Book" is more of an expensive activity book for adults and "Travels with Pee-wee" is an odd little "Scholastic" type book of Pee-wee silliness. If I run across any good references, I will certainly post them here for you all.

KILLER: I checked "Travels with Pee-wee." There are color photos inside but no scooter. And no scooter pics in the "Fun Book". The scooter doesn't appear in the 1990 Pee-wee's Playhouse calendar either. Sorry. I'll keep my eyes open though. Have you looked at the Pee-wee view master images? There might be a shot in there.

Last edited:
In the color photos, are they big enough to allow us to see the helmet more clearly?

OK Killer: I found my viewmaster and reels. The last frame on the third disc is a nice shot of PW on the scooter. Left side, waste up with helmet on. You couldn't pull an image off of it but the detail is pretty good when looking at it. (A little hard for me cause I couldn't wear my glasses while looking in the finder.) I don't know if it will shed any light it's worth someone checking out.

The flame totally looks like a sticker for a hot wheels track from back in the day, would have to look at what came out in around that time and its sticker sheets.

I went through all my Pee-wee publicity stills last night looking for scooter / helmet images for you all. The only thing I found was shown earlier in the thread as a magazine fold-out poster. The image is from the season one press photo packet. A scan is attached but I don't think it tells you anything new. I have no plans on recreating either item but I'll certainly post anything new I turn up. -- BB

Attachments

• PWHS_Front_View_LR.jpg
    PWHS_Front_View_LR.jpg
    223.6 KB · Views: 5,518
The flame totally looks like a sticker for a hot wheels track from back in the day, would have to look at what came out in around that time and its sticker sheets.

I've actually located this sticker in two different colors already but haven't found the RIGHT color yet (see page 2 of this thread for pics and links). I figure if we can't find it in the right color, one could buy 'the wrong color' version of this sticker and bring it to a print shop/sticker maker who's capable of printing reflective stickers and say "I want to recreate this sticker in red and orange".

Or for a "home made" job, one could buy the "wrong color" sticker that is available to create a template in photoshop using the "correct" colors, buy some reflective tape, print it directly onto the reflective tape and then put a layer or two of clear coat on top of it to help prevent the jet printer ink from wearing off or fading over time. I've not tested this approach, but if all else fails, I just might.

But I really don't see any reason why I couldn't just create a template in photoshop from the "wrong color" stickers that are available and then bring the template to a sticker maker and put in an order for reflective stickers of that design. I think that's a surefire way to create a good replica if we aren't able to find this sticker in the right color.

Thanks to everyone for all the help. We really appreciate it! Please keep the pics and ideas coming. :)

KILLER: I totally would have done that to help the cause ... but I just read the fine print and it says they won't scan from any commercial reels -- only family reels. OK ... so who knew there were families out there with the photo albums on ViewMaster reels!?!?! Weird! ANyways ... if you can borrow a ViewMaster, I'll mail you a set of Pee-wee reels. I have several extra sets I got in a lot of stuff I bought for something else. -- BB

that would be awesome and most generous of you! :)
apparently view masters were originally intended for adult use as in photo albums. but it never caught on in that market but it did however find its niche as a child's toy. I read that somewhere.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back