Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

I started building Ghostbuster props in 09 and met a ton of cool people and we started our own lil ghostbuster fan group. We eventually went our separate ways and I started looking for new projects. I built a few things here and there while I came up with new bigger better ideas.

My friends knew me for always quoting Pee Wees big adventure. I've loved that movie since I was a kid. I had recently seen the movie again and I told myself that I HAD to have that bike!

This is the first bike I've ever worked on and its been a blast! The only downer is that I thought the tiger siren would be one of the easiest parts to find, boy was I wrong! =\

I'm breaking in on my own topic here but I just bought this mirror online and wanted to test out uploading photos to this thread. If the mirror looks correct, maybe the packaging information will help someone else track down one.

View attachment 179340View attachment 179341View attachment 179342

Back to my query:

Ruddigger and Xtrmn8r17: Thanks for responding, guys.

RUD: I can honestly say, having a cool bike to ride with your daughter is a reason I would have never thought of -- but so cool. I love that there is a younger generation being prepped to carry on. My entire extended family are Pee-wee fans and the Christmas Special is a family tradition with us.

XTRM: You sound a bit like me … doomed to always be obsessed with some mind-consuming, odd, fun project. (It's a great approach to life though and has served me well.)

FYI: The box on my "Super Siren Horn" lists the following head styles: Tiger, Dragon, Monkey, Dog (which is a Collie), Sheep (which looks more like a Ram), Elephant and Hippopotamus. Search the internet for those. I totally lucked out on mine a couple years ago. Bought it on eBay for $130: Someone had bought a Collie Siren (in box and in working order) and replaced the head with one of KansasJack's lion sculpts. (Score!) It's beautiful. It is the slightly smaller case size but too good to pass up and I'm super happy with it. That's a good approach, buy one of the less desirable head versions and add a good sculpt to it. Paul mentions getting his Tiger Head in China Town to put on his Studio bike on the DVD commentary.

Last edited:
Best bike,
Big Adventure was one of my favorite movies as a kid, my dad would take us bike riding in the Valley at Woodley park, he would make a day of it. When i was right of college i really wanted to build this (i bought a frame and all), but it wasn't until recently we gathered all this info to get it right. Building this bike got me more into vintage bikes, i went a bit overboard a couple years ago and between my wife and i we have about 12 bikes. We tried road biking and itt din't work for use, we like cruisers, vintage cruisers.

ABE: That's interesting. Based on your knowledge of bikes, I would have guessed you were a bike enthusiast first and foremost. And glad to hear you are also cultivating a future generation of Pee-wee admirers.

FYI: Got my "donkey grips" today. Beautiful. Thanks for narrowing my search.

PRESENTS-MAJESTC SIREN: A couple nice ones on eBay now. Pricey but pristine. Also a yellow-shirted Brave Little Tailor Mickey bell. Graphic is a bit rough but looks to be the correct style to me. Images attached for visual reference.

View attachment 179824View attachment 179825

I think building this bike got a bunch of us into vintage bikes. My wife and I now have a few( mostly all cruisers). Being 40 and growing up in the 70s 80s Peewee was a big deal as a kid. Saturday morning cartoons and peewees playhouse. My wife bought me a Columbia cruiser a few years back( red and white) that I started to X1 out only to realize it was never gonna be right. Searching led me here and soon the build and hunt was on.

KXAZBUG: So ... you're another person introduced to cruisers via their Big Adventure bike project. I graduated college the year Big Adventure came out so I'm a little older -- but have been a fan ever since. My first introduction to the Pee-wee character was pre-Big Adventure when Paul was making the late night TV rounds.

BLACK BOX BUTTONS: How do these look to the rest of the group? If they look good, I'll buy a set of each and set on the dups for others that need them.

Just want to say that I really want to build this bike, however I don't feel comfortable starting another project until my R2 is 100% done. It's only about 85% now so maybee I'll get to build it starting near the end of this year.
This thread will be a great resource for me then!

There was a big debate about the size of the buttons, im pretty sure i have 12mm ones, i also remember posting the actual box part number and size somewhere on here. I got it at a electronics shop in burbank, or try marvac electronics, or maybe through radioshack.com

ANDY: Below is the info Abe posted earlier. I was able to find the box online at webstore.com -- but the site and the checkout process almost drove me crazy. -- BB

HERE'S THE INFO FROM ABE:
• Box size top 2.375" x 2.175, height 1.830" aluminum.
• Just so you know I'm using this project box, LMB #00Z from LMB Heeger inc. W 2.125"x L 2.25"x H1.75", it seems different from the size I posted becasue I think I measured it without the top on. Also .040 Aluminum.

IN SEARCH OF:
• 3-SPEED LEVER: Is it a 3-speed thumb shift lever? Anyone have a spare, a source or a brand name to help me check this off my list?
• NAME PLATE: Who here manufactured the great "Property of Pee-wee Herman" name plates? Any extras?
• ALUMINUM HANDLEBAR COUPLING: Anyone have a spare fabrication to sell?

Last edited:
IN SEARCH OF:
• 3-SPEED LEVER: Is it a 3-speed thumb shift lever? Anyone have a spare, a source or a brand name to help me check this off my list?

Thanks for the info. I actually had notes with all the info but I misplaced it when I recently moved.
As for the shifter its a Shimano 3 speed shifter.

the box I purchased came from frys.com

the coupler I used is sanded and painted pvc pipe connection. with a set screw so it can't move.

As for the shifter its a Shimano 3 speed shifter.

CRACKER: Thanks for the frys website. That's a good resource to have. And your PVC pipe connection coupling solution is inspired.

ANDY: "Shimano." Excellent. Thanks much for the info. The search continues ...

hey guys, What length and diameter did u use for the PVC pipe? What particular bikes can I find the shimano 3 speed shifter? Tomorrow I plan on visiting the local swapmeet. I paid the Hollywood Museum a visit on Saturday. It was great, took some good pics of the bike from both angles with my phone

Odd when I was a kid one of my only bike obsessions was a team U.S.A Bmx race suit I knew someone with one and the helmet was badass in the early to mid 80s lol.. loved this movie was watched a lot by me

How are you guys mounting the compass to the frame? The mounting bracket Comes with an adhesive strip of tape. Not sure if that's strong enough to hold. It appears that the Hollywood bike it bolted on with screws. Could be wrong. Any tips will be appreciated

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back