Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

@kansasjack wondering if your still molding the tiger heads? (fingers crossed)

Yes, I can mold a tiger head and siren housing for you. I can't do the back of the housing though because that mold disintegrated. You would need to make that part on your own and I can include a template. I'll PM you with details. Thanks.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1367279680.950472.jpg Abe?

hell no im building a real one hahaha saw that the other day, anyone know which side lever is the one on the real one. i know what kind it is but is it an actual left lever on the left side or right lever on the left side?

IN SEARCH OF: Anyone sitting on duplicate accurate handgrips they are willing to part with or know of a NOS source I could get them from? Would also be interested in a good build-up of the black control box that was discussed earlier in the thread. Any help would be appreciated. I'm trying to tackle this project in manageable bites -- slow and steady.

Hey everyone, I finally had some free time to invest in my project. I'm using a 1941 Schwinn DX frame with the original Springer forks and skip tooth assembly. Other than this I'm trying to stick to the replica parts such as the seat, grips, etc. The grips on here are temporarily, waiting for the other ones in the mail. I Also got a hold of some S2 wheels that powder coated white with red pin stripes. Very tempting going this route. Still considering this option.

Last edited:
Guys for the grips type in "donkey grips" on ebay, make sure to get two 7/8th grips for a bicycle.

To answer cracker. I used a right side lee-chi brake grip. Or at least the bmx grip on my bike has the bolt on the top and the strap on the bottom.

Last edited:
Guys for the grips type in "donkey grips" on ebay, make sure to get two 7/8th grips for a bicycle.

To anser cracker. I used a right side lee-chi brake grip. Or at least the grip on my bike has the bolt on the top and the strap on the bottom.

Thanks much, Abe: I had searched through 30 pages, 200 listings per page, under "bike grips" on eBay this evening looking for the right style -- and "donkey grips" took me right to them. Much appreciated.

Rudy: I agree with Ruddiger ... your framed turned out beautiful and you're off to a great start.

@ Ruddigger and BestBike : Thanks, more pictures to Come. Amazing KansasJack is assisting me with the Tiger sculpture and housing. More pics to come.....

OK all, while ShroomRudy and Xtrmn8r17 and others are busy building their bikes, and while I'm gathering parts, I have a general question for the group:

What brings you to this project? Are you primarily bike enthusiasts, movie prop builders, Big Adventure fans or general Pee-wee followers?

Everyone seems to have a slightly different approach to their bikes. It occurred to me, everyone probably has a slightly different interest that has drawn them to this project.

I've been through this thread several times and don't think this has ever been spelled out, although some people have eluded to it. Abe seems to be totally bike savvy and I believe Ruddigger recently mentioned he hadn't worked on a bike build until his Big Adventure undertaking.

I also want to say how friendly and helpful people have generally been and how generous you all are with your knowledge and contacts. (There doesn't seem to be anyone hoarding information to try and make their bike better than anyone else's.)

One thing I love about this thread is all the different approaches people take to build their bikes -- from capturing the general essence to attention to every little detail. I'm sure mine will be it's own entity as well.

Feel free to ignore this question as it's a little off the specific topic … but I really am curious.

My daughter learned how to ride a bike a couple summers ago and wanted to go riding with me, but I didnt have a bike. So I figured that if I was going to get a bike it was going to be the coolest bike around, and I remembered seeing this thread. I'd been purposely avoiding it because I knew if I started going through it I would be hooked. And now I have a garage full of vintage bikes and some new friends besides.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back