Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

I have a pair i bought on ebay for $80 shipped that are really nice still. But then again that was back at the beginning of the thread when there was only about 3 of us who were building bikes so there wasnt as a big demand... You could also find a complete DX for $150 though as well :rolleyes.. Anyway, Its easy to bring the brightness back to the white walls with tire bleche white.

31P0Cz6sXYL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I haven't checked prices in a long time. Has everything really started going up since this thread got going? How bad?

It might have to do with the resurgence of Pee Wee himself onto the scene too.

Glad I got my stuff when I did... and quietly. :)

Nick

I doubt that our small group is driving the prices higher. Serious vintage bicycle collectors want the original parts, and theyre not getting any easier to find as time goes by.

Last edited:
I doubt that our small group is driving the prices higher. Serious vintage bicycle collectors want the original parts, and theyre not getting any easier to find as time goes by.

I should have clarified. Im speaking mainly of ebay... I collect vintage bicycles and i know Abe does too as well as a few others here. I have several DX's and a couple other makes. Only one of the Dx's are getting converted to a Pee-Wee bicycle.

There definitely has been a price surge on ebay since this thread started. Several years ago there was only a short thread on the schwinn forum and that had been stagnent for a long time. If there are 2 or 3 people who follow the thread and are looking for a dx on ebay and one pops up of course there will be a bidding war between them... But thankfully there will always be the bicycle swap meets...:love

That's true, but eBay isn't usually the best place to buy things. Also, I think some of the blame goes to American Pickers, or restoration show, or whatever it is. A lot of people got interested in old bikes again because of it.

i think most of us on here have already got the majority of parts for the bikes, and we help each other out also..when id lose something on ebay id always look at the see what others got after this item thing just to see if it was a trail of X1 parts but never was..also i havnt seen another forum with as much info as this? anybody who wants to build one and googles it will come upon this thread..and you would have to be a serious lurker to not show off or put your 2cents in on something. some stuff cheap some stuff $ and the most expensive is whats rare or desired in the collector community..think it also comes down to how accurate you want you bike also..my X1 is sporting some Schwinn classic whitewalls..would i like to have the Carlisle indian head lightning darts? heck ya! but im not gonna sweat it unless i come across a really good deal. the posting up of links to parts is cool also.thanks!...shows we not at each others necks for a mickey bell or messinger seat.

I just found a cool store on Ebay, the Schwinn Store. Lots of good parts. I got ripped off big time on the fenders I purchased last week. I over paid 125 for a set of old fenders. They are original but I just found a new set at this store for 58 bucks. I think it will much easier to paint a new set and no one will ever know the difference. Live and learn I guess.

Not to change subjects, but did anyone ever make the X1 head badges that were discussed earlier in this thread?

that store is actually 5 minutes from my house (bicycle heaven)..if the fenders you got are original and in nice shape they will be much better quality wise then the new 58 dollar im guessing china jobs. Craig probally has everything and i would say most of what he has isnt even listed...i buy from him time to time and dont always mind paying a little to much as he has a cool museum to support..

The cheapest you'll ever find lightning darts is about 50.00 for 2. Just make sure they have the indian head on them, try to make sure there no cracking between the whitewall and the black rubber, and use heavy duty tubes.
They pop up on ratrod bikes and the cabe from time to time.

That's true, but eBay isn't usually the best place to buy things. Also, I think some of the blame goes to American Pickers, or restoration show, or whatever it is. A lot of people got interested in old bikes again because of it.

Yes, American Pickers is a big part of the problem. Those guys now have people thinking their rusty old junk bikes are worth a gold mine.

Another one of my pet peeves is when I see a Craigslist ad for a "Vintage cruiser bicycle" and it turns out to be a 1980s 10-speed.

Sometimes you find some good ones though. I picked up a 1968 Huffy "The Wheel" for $75 a couple years ago. After some clean up and paint it looks brand new now.

I didn't end up making mine, I started focusing on bits and pieces of the bike then. I'm still up for a custom badge but now I'm thinking something simple and clean.

Is there a certain badge we should look for?

Not really, the badge seems to have been removed on the frame during shooting- if you do get planes, trains schwinn badge, get it from Memory Lane classics.

There is the Fleet badge and a Planes, Trains badge.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back