Pee-Wee's Big Adventure Bike

Thanks for the help guys. I made the bones out of MDF, but I still have to chrome tape them. I went to ACE Hardware but no luck. Might have to order the strip online. I have a few pipe straps that I might try first. I'll post some pics soon. Thanks again guys!

Turk, another idea for the metal is to use an old metal paint can, is there a local scrap yard? The easiest way is to find strip aluminum or brass, how about a window shop? At the hardware store there is sheet metal in the rain gutter section, used for strapping the metal downspouts to the post. Since your going to paint it most any metal that is 1/16 thick should work.

Stay away from the pipe straps. They're more trouble than anything. I do have one on my build though, it's keeping my button box on the handlebars.

Hey guys, I've been watching this thread for a while. I made a profile so I could ask, does anyone have templates to make the saddlebags? There's currently some available on ebay, but I'd prefer to make mine. I've never worked with fiberglass but I do make good use of materials. Anyone got any recommendations?

Thanks! :)

I dont have any templates, but there are many pictures of the original movie bikes that you can use as a guide. Speaking as someone doing that very thing right now I can say that fabrication of these is no small task. Be prepared for a lot of work. Good luck to you, be sure to post your progress.

Thanks, I appreciate the help. I've previously built my proton pack, it came out great and I'm hoping to use the same techniques to make my bike.

EDIT: I just found the kids bike siren to gut for the tiger siren! :D

Last edited:
Lately I've had trouble deciding what to do in terms of the bike frame, I've had a vintage Huffy Good Vibrations Cruiser for a year or two, and the frame is similar to that of a Schwinn Phantom. I had it long before I discovered the thread and had no interest into making it an X-1. Would it be easier to modify the frame on this bike or sell it and get a proper frame? I've seen the Huffy go from about $100-$250 on ebay which could get me a decent amount of money for parts. Also this bike contains a shimano shifter and a nice set of wheels. might be usable.

Here are some pictures of the bike:
DSCN0109.JPGDSCN0110.JPG

Thanks guys, I'm happy to receive the feedback so quickly! The Huffy bike pictured in my last post is in quite nice condition so it should get a decent income. I've seen a couple of DX 50's frames, but they're all straight, I'll keep looking on other sites.

Thanks Again! :)

Thecabe.com or ratrodbikes.com are good sites for the frames, you really just need the frame and fenders, it better if you find the headset hardware with the frame.

Thecabe.com or ratrodbikes.com are good sites for the frames, you really just need the frame and fenders, it better if you find the headset hardware with the frame.

Thanks, I've been checking out ratrodbikes, there are quite a few available. After doing a more refined search through ebay I found an absolutely beautiful 1948 postwar complete with the right frame, tank, fenders, and it just needs the spring-fork assembly. It's currently at around $100 (Reserve Not Met), I'm going to try and see if I can win this auction at a good price. If not, I'll keep looking around ratrod.

Thanks Abe! :D

On a side note, I realized there are Union Pedals on my current cruiser!
DSCN0115.JPG
Guess I've got another thing to worry less about now.

Last edited:
If your looking at the blue one on the auction site, your better off buying the parts separately, in fact i posted a link to two dxs being parted right now, if you get a complete minus tank for 300-400, its kind of what it is. If you search your local craigslist or setup wanted ads, you might find a cheaper buy. Dx's are just not worth more than 600-700 unless they are fullyequipped deluxe bikes with tanks.

Abe: I've taken a look at those threads you posted and I think it's an excellent deal, but I've also found the one below for a 1947 DX that was recently posted with no tank and a heart crank. Which is better start?

1947 Schwinn DX | Rat Rod Bikes

Baloney: Those are the fiberglass bags being auctioned on ebay correct?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back