New Zealand Iron Man -(update 1.20.14)- display upgrade

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 3.10.12 - Suited up!!)

I would make a tutorial, but it would be very short!

1 - Seal foam with PVA glue (4 layers)
2 - Spray paint primer (grey)
3 - Spray paint top coat
4 - Spray paint clear coat

Done!

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 3.10.12 - Suited up!!)

Ok after reading this thread I am convinced I need to start my IM build for next year. This one turned out great and the best part is, you'd never know it was foam. Awesome job.

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 10.3.12 - Suited up!!)

Thanks Bruce. It really isnt all that hard. If i can do it anyone can lol.

Great build Ive been to the warehouse and picked up some camping mats.

Kinda wanna go to the sevens just to see your suit in person :)

Haha its a great day :) If you are a local you could always just come into town on the day. You see most of the outfits on the waterfront in the bars lol

Amazing suit. One of the best I have seen and an inspiration to those like myself that plan to build one. Thanks for the sharing and my hat is off to you sir

Thank you both for your kind words. My suit is honestly nothing special, this was my first ever build and I learned alot!

Well just thought Id throw these pics up as a modification I made to the suit. It replicates a scene from the Avengers where WETA upgraded the CGI Iron Man suit with a few extra weapons, all backed with a high-tech looking blue light. I added blue LEDS to the chest and forearms to replicate this effect. Cheap and easy to do :)

Attachments

• AVENGERS_WETA_VFX_02.jpg
    AVENGERS_WETA_VFX_02.jpg
    669.7 KB · Views: 362

Ill be making my first public appearance in the suit at a childrens Christmas party tomorrow. I hope to have a good few pictures for you of either a room full of delighted children, or (more likely) a room full of terrified kids :confused

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 12.18.12 - New Lights!!)

They sure did!

Hope you enjoy the pictures :)

The Thor costume is my other creation. Hair isnt quite right as we didnt wet it after putting on the wig so its a bit 'full'.I had a couple of minor issues with my suit. The faceplate opening mechanism caused a small amount of damage to the chest piece. The screw that I added to the control rod (which latches in place and allows me to keep the faceplate fully open) was dragging on the back of the chest piece where the control rod runs. It meant the mechanism was sticky and gouged out about a centimetre of foam. Ive since fixed this by snipping off the protruding part of the screw and reinforcing that area of the chest. A couple of the shoulder bolts fell off (the hot glue doesnt bond too well to aluminium). Ive reglued these back on after perforating the aluminium to provide a good key for the hot glue to bond to. Other than being a bit sweaty, everything else was fine!

Seeing these photos has made me realise that the helmet is probably a tad oversized for the rest of the suit. Weird in a way because my ears are squashed when wearing it, but I think a 5% downscale would probably have been ideal. I could hollow out the ear pieces to make room for my pinna. Doing so however would leave severely limited space for hinges (which already graze my temples) and the electrics (which take up most of the crown space). Its all a compromise I guess! A 1 or 2" lift in the heels might also help redress the balance, but ill be walking in this all day, for two days, so comfort is paramount!

Last edited:

I think the helmet looks fine by comparison mate. You don't look like a bobble head, so that's the main thing. It all seems in pretty good proportion to me.

Glad the kidlets enjoyed it :)

Dynofiend, thanks for all the tips and pictures. You got yourself a nice piece of armor there.

I think the helmet looks fine by comparison mate. You don't look like a bobble head, so that's the main thing. It all seems in pretty good proportion to me.

Glad the kidlets enjoyed it :)

They sure did mate, only a few of them were a bit scared which wasnt bad considering they were mostly under 8 years old! I guess seeing other armour on here is probably making me jealous of other peoples helms!

Dynofiend, thanks for all the tips and pictures. You got yourself a nice piece of armor there.

It's my pleasure, always happy to help, and thanks for the compliment also :)

Repairs to the suit have been completed and it awaits deployment at its originally intended venue in just over a month. EEK!

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back