New Zealand Iron Man -(update 1.20.14)- display upgrade

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 10.1.12 - It's Finished!!)

Well, not much more to say other than TAA DAAAA :love

Very pleased does not even cover it. Im ecstatic. The colour match is so close to the model I was using (pic also attached) and the proportions look spot on to me. It looks much better once im in it as the legs and arms are the right length lol.

Ill cover some more of the detail parts in some up and coming posts. If you're interested in any particular aspect of the build at all, post up, and ill include the information in my mini-updates.

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 1.10.12 - He's only gone and finished it!!)

Congratulations! I hope I can get mine done for Halloween now...

Thanks guys! One or two things left to tidy up. Attach the handplates, the covers for the back of the knees, and the control rod for my helmet opening mech, but that is about it. Hope to have some more photos soon.

As promised, here are some of the detail parts.

Shoulder bolts - A combination of the bottom of a coke can, an upside down fridge magnet, and a trim button from some flat pack shelves.

Elbow bolts - Bottom of a redbull can, and the switch from a two way garden tap attachment.

Knee bolts - Bottom of a redbull can, the brass bit is the chicago screw so the can is acting as a giant washer.

Inside elbow joints, and back of the knees - painted neoprene strips. They work really well!

Top of the thighs (front and back) - extra plates of armour in the style of the real suit fill the gaps. I wear a pair of red spandex shorts for coverage of the inner thighs. I also added an extra plate to the cod piece filling a gap there.

And some more features.

Neck seal and ab plate - has areas of mesh held in place with neoprene for comfort and ventilation

Under the arms - extra panel pieces added to conceal the underarm area, negating the need for an undersuit.

Cod - held up with a set of braces with extensions to stop them pulling up too hard.

Damage - enhanced with the addition of small metal parts, into the void of the scars. I just used a blade to create a slit either side of the scar, and pushed the pieces in there. Makes it look like the workings of the suit have been revealed.

Speakers - just for fun, a set of ipod speakers and small amp grace the chest piece. You can also see the switch for the fan in the back of the suit here too.

Helmet hinge - operated manually by a flexible control rod. The end of the rod protrudes near the rib area and can be discretly operated by the wearer.

Last edited:

As promised, here are some of the detail parts.

Shoulder bolts - A combination of the bottom of a coke can, an upside down fridge magnet, and a trim button from some flat pack shelves.

Elbow bolts - Bottom of a redbull can, and the switch from a two way garden tap attachment.

Knee bolts - Bottom of a redbull can, the brass bit is the chicago screw so the can is acting as a giant washer.

Inside elbow joints, and back of the knees - painted neoprene strips. They work really well!

Top of the thighs (front and back) - extra plates of armour in the style of the real suit fill the gaps. I wear a pair of red spandex shorts for coverage of the inner thighs. I also added an extra plate to the cod piece filling a gap there.

These are the kind of details that turn a great suit into an amazing one, i really love how you covered up those tricky areas that some people leave out(elbow,knee,below cod etc etc)
I wasn't going to bother adding those pieces but after looking at your finish, it's inspired me to make a more complete suit.

Awesome job mate...now we just need a suit up pic:cool:cool

In the immortal words of captain America, "PUT ON THE SUIT!!"

Haha will do guys. My wife had laser corrective eye surgery yesterday so I was without a photographer:confused Today she is seeing in 20/20 so I hope to have some photos with the suit on later!

Ive also been requested by PM to show detail of the control rod/hinge setup, so ill be adding a photo or two of that part.

If you have any other requests to show how I approached areas of the suit, or the details. Please dont hesitate to ask :)

The neoprene strips you used for elbows and knees....are they fully glued in place or did you just glue the top to allow for movement?

Fantastic details mate, well done :)

Thank you :)

The neoprene strips you used for elbows and knees....are they fully glued in place or did you just glue the top to allow for movement?

The horizontal strips are glued at their top edges, to vertical strips on the back of them. This allows them to slide over each other. Each strip can slide about 1-2cm over the other. Any movement beyond that range, and they do buckle and fold. This only happens on the knee elements when sitting down though, and they all pop back into place afterwards. I deliberately only used one layer of PVA prior to paint so the paint has soaked into the neoprene. This means there is no cracking or creasing at all of these parts. If you used white neoprene (as opposed to light grey that I had) the colour would be spot on too. Mine look darker, which I am happy with in any case.

Re: New Zealand Iron Man -(update 3.10.12 - Suited up!!)

I really love how slim/fitted the suit looks.
I dig that look.

Looks great man!

Thanks man. I deliberately scaled up the chest and back and made the abs as fitting as possible. I also slimmed down the thighs and took an inch off the sole of the boots which helps slim the legs down. The cod is pulled up quite high by the braces which help give the effect of longer legs, which again is quite slimming. Course I'm helped by being 5'11 with a 31" waist ;)

Dyno that suit came out looking sick:cool, i also like the slim fit you achieved when making the armour.....those finishing touches you added sure make it stand out as a really cool piece of art.....well done mate:thumbsup

GREAT WORK!!!
Diggin' the super hero battle damage look. Can you really trust a super hero in clean or pristine costume/armor? I say NO NOT REALLY!

Cheers,
Clint

This thread is more than 10 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back