New Star Trek TOS Phaser coming November 2014

Also, is anybody actually going to use theirs as a remote?
:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol:lol Dude, that's awesome! :)

I'm wondering if there are some business reasons for making it a remote. Marketing is the obvious one, since it's gesture-based and that's a hot buzzword now. I certainly haven't done any research on this situation, but reasons that come to mind are UK business laws/regulations, customs restrictions on different categories of goods (maybe they're trying to avoid having it classified as a "toy" anywhere in the world), or things like that. Or it could be more than one reason at once, which is often the case with business decisions -- the good ideas rise to the top because they have lots of different things going for them.

I'm wondering if there are some business reasons for making it a remote.

I recall the Wand Co. answered this in the sonic screwdriver thread, and there is -- licensing. The terms of their license allow them to make remote controls that look like things; they're not technically allowed to make or sell 'prop replicas' as that right is held by other companies.

So it's a very, very clever workaround.

I recall the Wand Co. answered this in the sonic screwdriver thread, and there is -- licensing. The terms of their license allow them to make remote controls that look like things; they're not technically allowed to make or sell 'prop replicas' as that right is held by other companies.

So it's a very, very clever workaround.
Wow, that IS a clever workaround. That is freaking brilliant. I love it! Both as a lawyer, and as a fan who's getting a killer phaser that the manufacturer has taken real pains to do right. So refreshing after MR, Unobtainium, et al. :)

Also it helps customs, as it will not be listed as a replica weapon. Some countries do not import weapon replicas. But, I suppose there is a market for remotes as well. But the main share of sales is people who could care less about the remote and like the replica aspect. It was the same with the Sonics. Except in that case a gesture based remote made a lot more sense and added to the buy factor. I like that this was a total surprise. No hint of pre-production really until two weeks or so before San Diego comic con. No idea it was in the works at all. i love things like that.

The first batch to the U. S. has cleared customs.

Thinkgeek and Star trek.com should be shipping them out next week!

Star trek.com will not have enough though to fufill all the pre-orders but will be getting more in

OK, here it is folks!

Got my hands on one of the first production Phasers, straight from Mr. Blakesley and Mr. Barnardo! (They were in town today and I had a delightful meeting with them, during which they presented me with this Holy Grail piece).

15629399179_254e46485d_b.jpg

15629399289_cd8a34cba4_b.jpg

And yes the stand works backwards! :D/>/>

15629399299_055c21f723_b.jpg

More pics here!

https://secure.flickr.com/photos/12377578@N07/15629399179/in/set-72157604113903463

Thanks again for your fine work, Wand Co.! :D/>/>

Karl

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back