New Profiles catalog - HOLY COW

Yet when the last catalog came out i was wondering why there was so much stuff from the Winston Studios (JP, Predator, Terminator...).

I guess now we all know what that was all about :(

There should be a museum for his stuff. Some things should stay in the public for further generations to view at.

Cool stuff, but not appropriate for the average collection.

True, but then again some of the things I have seen purchased and/or sold by folks here I would consider " not appropriate for the average collection." In fact my guess would be any prop related thing that ran a grand or more would fall into that category. Of course such a small group of folks hard to know what would be average. Either way it makes me feel poor.:)

Yet when the last catalog came out i was wondering why there was so much stuff from the Winston Studios (JP, Predator, Terminator...).

I guess now we all know what that was all about :(

There should be a museum for his stuff. Some things should stay in the public for further generations to view at.

I always thought that the major studios or the academy should get together and establish a permanent museum, gallery and archive.

I always thought that the major studios or the academy should get together and establish a permanent museum, gallery and archive.

The Academy of Motion Pictures, Arts and Sciences is planning a Motion Picture Museum here in Los Angeles. But, it's going to encompass all of motion picture history - from the silents through the digital age. All all facets of film making. So, the odds of there being one end all be all museum for geeky film memorabilia are going to be small.

I've had several discussions with members of the visual effects community about archiving this kind of stuff. Unless you want to get a warehouse the size of the one seen at the end of the original "Raiders of the Lost Ark", you are not going to be able to save everything. And to say "open it to the public" to cover the costs is not the answer. In fact, it adds costs to do that. (I'd really like to see the balance sheet for the Sci-Fi museum and see what it actually makes per year.)

At the very least, the auction network keeps the stuff from winding up in a landfill. But, I agree, it is a double edge sword.

Gene

Yeah I suppose a lot of museums and collections are never going to make money. That's why I was thinking CA as a lot of the state's tourism is based on the history of cinema and they could probably manage to wrangle some sort of goverment funding. Hell if they'll put the enterprise in the smithsonian then it's worth preserving as a national treasure. As for national treasure maybe they'd mount nicholas cage's wig........:)

A number of film museums have tried and failed here in Hollywood. In fact, their closing caused some controversy in that loaned items disappeared. Only to show up years later 'for sale'. So, on that front, collectors (serious and hobbyist alike) are hesitant to loan anything out.

The Academy regularly holds exhibits in their gallery spaces. Whenever the Aero Theater here in Santa Monica has a vfx related series of screenings, I try to get something into the lobby or some guests to come and talk.

Years ago - and I'm talking about 20 years ago - there were a few exhibits of movie memorabilia that were displayed at various museum around the country.

While not a permanent thing, and somewhat catering to those of us that are in the Los Angeles area, there is a network of people that are trying to arrange exhibits and screenings. Until there is a successful business model for that type of thing, that will have to suffice.

Hopefully, when the time comes, we'll be able to track down the owner of Nicolas Cage's rug from National Treasure for display in the "Hairpieces of Hollywood History" wing........ :)

Gene

TIE.png

903. Original T.I.E. Fighter filming miniature and original camera reports from Star Wars: A New Hope. (TCF, 1977) During the nail-biting assault on the Death Star in Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, this is the actual filming miniature of the T.I.E. Fighter that bumps into Darth Vader’s fighter knocking him out of the trench, allowing Luke to destroy the Death Star. This historic piece is from the collection of Academy Award-winning Visual Effects wizard, Richard Edlund.

The design concepts for the T.I.E. (Twin Ion Engine) Fighters of the Galactic
Empire originally came from Colin Cantwell and Ralph McQuarrie. Joe Johnston, who was the visual effects art director and overall storyboard artist for the entire trilogy was very involved in the final finessing of the ships and Death Star designs. Only four T.I.E. Fighters were built for the first Star Wars film. Grant McCune, head of the model shop, used a fairly heavy but stable resin for the body of the ship and other resins for the tinier parts. It has a central hollow aluminum knuckle with six-way threadings for top, bottom, front, back, left and right side mounting options with 11/16 in. hollow threaded rods as wiring conduits which attached to the various self-lit neon blue pylons. The hexagonal wings are created of fine expanded metal sheeting. Much of the intricate design detail was robbed from plastic model kits, then modified and affixed.

While the rebel ships appeared worn from use with dents, primer spots, oxidation and oil streaks, the Imperial Forces’ equipment was always pristine and appeared in top-notch condition. The corner of the right wing in this fighter was purposely distressed to exhibit the damage resulting from the collision with Vader’s ship; however, this model was also used in its pristine state in other sequences of the film.

Included are two original camera reports, dated December 15, 1976, describing the technical details of the shooting day on which this model was filmed. The scene is labeled “417” and entitled, “Vader Wanks Out”; “Edlund” is listed as the cameraman. Also included is a color image of this model on its rigging in front of a blue screen as it was shot for the film.

The model measures 17 ¾ in. in height x 14 in. wide (stands 23 ½ in. on base). Accompanied by a letter of authenticity from Richard Edlund. An extremely rare opportunity to own a milestone piece from such a ground breaking film—from both science fiction and visual effects perspectives.

$150,000 – $200,000

The Tie is cool, but it does cost more then my house, so I would not feel right displaying it inside. Guess I won't buy that one.:unsure:rolleyes

Hopefully, when the time comes, we'll be able to track down the owner of Nicolas Cage's rug from National Treasure for display in the "Hairpieces of Hollywood History" wing........ :)

Would it be displayed more prominently than Shatner's, or not...?

So for we've been graced with:
--The Seattle Sci Fi Museum
--The Magic Of Myth tour
--The Art Of Star Wars tour
--When Science Meets The Imagination tour
--American Academy of Motion Pictures displays (most recent I recall was on animatronics and puppets)
--Planet Hollywood
--Foxploration prop display/museum in Baja
--The Hollywood Entertainment Museum
--Warner Brothers Prop Museum
--Universal Studios prop dsplays
--The Star Trek Experience; Vegas Hilton
--Star Trek The Tour

What else...?

I love the pose of that TIE pilot! :lol

I think this finally proves, (if it hasn't been already), that there are two layers of Koolshade in the wings...which adds a few hundred dollars to a purist's hero build...

I love the pose of that TIE pilot! :lol

I think this finally proves, (if it hasn't been already), that there are two layers of Koolshade in the wings...which adds a few hundred dollars to a purist's hero build...

Yup - there are two layers. There is a blanking plate of black paper sandwiched in between the two pieces of Koolshade so you cannot see through the solar panels. Simple black paper.

Gene

I'd really like to see the balance sheet for the Sci-Fi museum and see what it actually makes per year.

It's a trainwreck. Allen pumps money into it all the time. The SFM is part of the larger EMP facility. I interviewed for 3 different positions there. Also a friend was up for one of the lead positions but she turned it down due to the direction they try to take.

They are trying to make the place self sufficient but the whole mindset in the Seattle area is that EMP is Paul Allen's toy box and they have trouble soliciting corporate or private sponsorship due to that. Museums in general are an uphill fight to keep running.

I worked in the trade show and museum display business for many years. They have the worst budgets for actual displays, mainly because staffs are generally populated by people with lots of letters after their names. Eats a lot of the budget, leaves little for actual exhibits.

Last edited:
It's a trainwreck..........

Actually, I'm a native of Seattle and still follow things up there. The EMP didn't quite go as they hoped/planned, so they created the Sci-Fi Museum to take over some space.

I went there a couple of years ago, and my reaction was "Meh..." Yes, it was nice to see some cool props (replicas and mis-labeled items included). It was great that they covered science fact/space exploration and literature.

But does every sci-fi exhibit have to set in the bowels of an alien spaceship? I mean, whats wrong about staging this in a nice modern art gallery type setting that's inspiring, instead of a dark dingy setting that carries along all the typical stereotypes of the sci-fi fan? And you'd think that in Seattle - the home of Amazon and some really good bookstores, that the gift shop of a museum that makes a big deal out of literature, would have some books for sale along with the overpriced coffee mugs and keychain fobs.

I tried to get them interested in a screening program where VFX professionals would host lectures and show behind the scenes clips from classic movies and give an insight into film making. Heard nothing back. The Aero is only to glad to have them. (And they say 'thank you' as well.)

But again, it's better the stuff wind up there than in a landfill like the stuff from 2001.

Gene

Attachments

• ss4.jpg
    ss4.jpg
    19.7 KB · Views: 210
Until an Academy Award is established specifically for models and props you can forget any respect for model and propbuilding. This is especially true for Sci Fi props! We are more likely to see awards for motion capture actors than real model art. Hollywood elitists hate westerns, Sci Fi, and fans. Not necessarily in that order.

Here is my solution:

Since actresses are only actresses about 2-3 nights out of every year (the rest of the year they are 'actors') The freed up awards for best actress and best supporting actress then could be used to finally start going to where they are sorely neglected!

Let them compete on an even footing with the men! I have yet to hear one feminist 'actor' say that!!

The two awards can then be given to Best Prop and Best Set-Piece-Model.

The Space Staion pics remind of what value H'w'd places on Sci Fi models.

Thx GKvfx for re-posting those.

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back