Holy Grail Replica

Brendan

RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
What does everyone think of the photos of the new Regal Robot grail replica?

I’ve owned this “unlicensed” Holy Grail replica for probably more than 20 years. At the time, most replicas looked very rough and blocky, and it was tough to find a replica with the right shape, rim and stem width, etc.

FBC06C57-64F0-4417-8658-F6C3C7334320.jpeg

When you collect something “before it was cool,” it is interesting, gratifying, and even slightly frustrating to see the hobby’s popularity explode and to have the market flooded with replicas of various quality. I do miss the good old days when finding good replicas was more of a challenge and hunt, but I am also glad that this hobby still resonates and has been embraced by a new generation of enthusiasts.

I think it looks great. The Disney ones have a horrible finish on them. Some sell on Etsy or Amazon for around 20 to 30 dollars. They can be repainted to look better. To me, it's the weight of a prop as well. It shouldnt be that picking up an empty milk carton thinking its full- feel. :lol:

I think it looks great. The Disney ones have a horrible finish on them. Some sell on Etsy or Amazon for around 20 to 30 dollars. They can be repainted to look better. To me, it's the weight of a prop as well. It shouldnt be that picking up an empty milk carton thinking its full- feel. :lol:
Agreed. My replica is weighted. The finish looks a bit mottled in pictures but quite authentic in person. I agree that the Disney version is rough. Same goes for their gold idol.

Regal's, while I'm sure is accurate to one of the screen used props, seems busier than the screen used ones. That said, here's mine that I made last week based on the auction photos from prop store.

View attachment 1711128
That’s beautiful! Nice work! This reminds me of some of the early Grail prop replicas I used to see in the old days that had a very “dusty” finish. I like the aesthetic of it. I assume that some of what I’m seeing is glare, and that in person you can see the terra-cotta detail and gold leafing a bit more clearly? Or is this more based on the stunt version?

Agreed. My replica is weighted. The finish looks a bit mottled in pictures but quite authentic in person. I agree that the Disney version is rough. Same goes for their gold idol.
That’s beautiful! Nice work! This reminds me of some of the early Grail prop replicas I used to see in the old days that had a very “dusty” finish. I like the aesthetic of it. I assume that some of what I’m seeing is glare, and that in person you can see the terra-cotta detail and gold leafing a bit more clearly? Or is this more based on the stunt version?
It’s based on the stunt version that was at auction recently.
Screenshot 2023-06-13 at 7.54.07 AM.png

Last edited:
HolyGrail05*.jpg

This is the second Holy Grail I purchased a long time ago ... the first one was a wooden grail, turned on a lathe, but it had the wrong proportions.

Chaïm

View attachment 1711182

This is the second Holy Grail I purchased a long time ago ... the first one was a wooden grail, turned on a lathe, but it had the wrong proportions.

Chaïm
Very nice-looking piece! I remember back in the early days of my collecting, in the late nineties, a lot of prop enthusiasts thought that the grail was made of wood, based on its rough coloration and the “cup of a carpenter” reference.

I can't remember what I paid for my Restaurajones version, but I know it was much less than $400. I'm quite happy with it. I don't know how it could be improved upon, as I'm not familiar at all with the various versions of the prop. When I was shopping for one, the consensus was that the Restaurajones version was the best.

I have the peace of mind knowing that a hobbyist, who is passionate about the replica, made it, with the community's seal of approval, and that's worth more than having an 'officially licensed' version.

TuckerMan ... do you have a picture of it? I believe I may have the Restaurajones version as well ... Brendan is yours a Restaurajones too?

Chaïm
Mine was made by “Fedora Smith” of Spain. This was years and years ago, not sure if he still makes them. But I’m very happy with it. A little smaller than the screen-used prop (at the time, the dimensions weren’t widely available) but looks close to perfect in person.

I can't remember what I paid for my Restaurajones version, but I know it was much less than $400. I'm quite happy with it. I don't know how it could be improved upon, as I'm not familiar at all with the various versions of the prop. When I was shopping for one, the consensus was that the Restaurajones version was the best.

I have the peace of mind knowing that a hobbyist, who is passionate about the replica, made it, with the community's seal of approval, and that's worth more than having an 'officially licensed' version.
I feel the same way!

The Regal Robot one is a very accurate reproduction but its worth remembering that while we tend to obsess over the finish, there are easily 7 or 8 grails (excluding the one in the main house) that I have seen in the archives. Each one has a different exterior finish some busier and more textured than others. The gold leaf inside the cup also varies - some being almost solid gold while others are more worn..

Tom has on my opinion, created a terrific version that embraces perfectly not only the dimension and finish of the original grails, he and his team have also created uniquely finished artefacts that capture every quality of the originals

MARK

The Regal Robot one is a very accurate reproduction but its worth remembering that while we tend to obsess over the finish, there are easily 7 or 8 grails (excluding the one in the main house) that I have seen in the archives. Each one has a different exterior finish some busier and more textured than others. The gold leaf inside the cup also varies - some being almost solid gold while others are more worn..

Tom has on my opinion, created a terrific version that embraces perfectly not only the dimension and finish of the original grails, he and his team have also created uniquely finished artefacts that capture every quality of the originals

MARK
Do we know which version of the prop this is supposed to replicate? Is it the "hero" version (assuming there's one hero) from the Lucasfilm archive book? If so I don't feel like the Regal Robot is perfect replica - the wavy texture on the cup feels overdone (unless we can't see those details on the Archives pics) and the paint job feels off somehow...

Don't get me wrong it looks like a very good replica I was just expecting something else for $400 - having seen the videos I don't think I will end up buying it.

Attachments

• Holy_Grail.jpg
    Holy_Grail.jpg
    484.2 KB · Views: 85
I designed my own in 3d using photos of the hero prop. Unsure of what the height was of the movie version, but the proportions should be good. I estimated it at about 168mm high based on Ford's hand.

Grail1.png

TazMan2000

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back