New Pics of Luke's ROTJ reveal lightsaber

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(OdiWan72 @ Feb 12 2007, 09:16 AM) [snapback]1417174[/snapback]</div>
Is there any chance to save this clip on my HDD?

Markus
[/b]
Yep. It's 15.2 Mb in size. It will download as a .FLV file, so you'll need a(n) FLV Player. There are quite a few free ones available (search Google), if you can't find one, PM me, I'll send you the one I use (it's a nice, clean, simple program) when I get home tonight.

To download, CLICK HERE, & save.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Feb 12 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1417198[/snapback]</div>
Is this the familiar hero, but we're now seeing the guts, or is it a whole seperate saber?
[/b]

A whole seperate saber.
This is not the one in the Lucasfilm archives with the slide open control box.

Honestly I don't really believe the story behind it. I'm curious to hear what the documentary has to say.
Elstree's told too many "stories" and sold too many questionable pieces for me to trust this one.
The Hero Luke ROTJ is very much like the Han GK blaster - built after the fact for a single insert closeup shot.
I have a hard time believing that this saber was even commissioned by Lucasfilm. They obviously never took delivery of it. So how is a prop made by the prop company but never delivered to the production considered a real prop from the movie?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonepigeon @ Feb 12 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1417297[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Feb 12 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1417198[/snapback]
Is this the familiar hero, but we're now seeing the guts, or is it a whole seperate saber?
[/b]

A whole seperate saber.

Honestly I don't really believe the story behind it. I'm curious to hear what the documentary has to say.
Elstree's told too many "stories" and sold too many questionable pieces for me to trust this one.
The Hero Luke ROTJ is very much like the Han GK blaster - built after the fact for a single insert closeup shot.
I have a hard time believing that this saber was even commissioned by Lucasfilm. They obviously never took delivery of it. So how is a prop made by the prop company but never delivered to the production considered a real prop from the movie?
[/b][/quote]

Well said Chris.Don't believe the hype.

This documentary is not about the saber, they just take Elstree's word for it.

Even if not official, it's still a cool prop that fits well into that deleted scene. But yeah, I wanna know the whole story.

The internals under the activation plate circuit board are quite different to the Smithsonian one, right?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Amanaman @ Feb 12 2007, 06:23 PM) [snapback]1417320[/snapback]</div>
This documentary is not about the saber, they just take Elstree's word for it.

Even if not official, it's still a cool prop that fits well into that deleted scene. But yeah, I wanna know the whole story.
[/b]

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(kurtyboy @ Feb 12 2007, 06:36 PM) [snapback]1417329[/snapback]</div>
The internals under the activation plate circuit board are quite different to the Smithsonian one, right?
[/b]

Yes, they are. The Smithsonian magazine one is the regular ROTJ Hero.

Just saw the fan made documentary. Here on youtube for those who haven't seen it.
http://youtube.com/watch?v=m1gcakiY0qk
Lightsaber is near the end of this clip.

Its a nice looking prop, but those scenes were never filmed.
Did LFL actually commission this prop for that scene before it was cut from the script? who knows.
The matte painting they show in the fan doc was actually for the sandstorm scenes, not Luke building his saber.

You know, I thought as much. Elstree is fishy sometimes. But it would be cool to confirm. Frankly, given what we know about the general shoddiness/inconsistencies/craziness surrounding the ROTJ sabers, I can't see something this complex being done. But that's just conjecture.

Even though it might not be an official prop, I still think it's an interesting lightsaber. It has the "wow" factor of a cutaway, but still can be displayed as a regular lightsaber. I would love to have one, especially if the crystal could also light up.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonepigeon @ Feb 12 2007, 05:58 PM) [snapback]1417297[/snapback]</div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cayman shen @ Feb 12 2007, 03:18 PM) [snapback]1417198[/snapback]
[/b]

A whole seperate saber.

[/b][/quote]

Chris,

While I'm not willing to take everything elstree says as gospel, I have yet to hear any convincing arguement as to why we should not accept that this prop as exactly what elstree says, a one off piece commisioned for a scene that didn't make the final cut (Based on statements made by Tony Daniels, this scene does appear to have been partially filmed). While Elstree has been ambiguous about their props collection in the past, I can't remember Elstree every passing off a fake as a screen used piece.

Also, I think your wrong about the ROTJ hero being built after production. Specifically because there apear to have been many resin stunts used in production (Not the Shared Kenobi stunt cast from the ANH fighting prop) cast off of the Luke ROTJ hero. In partiuclar the resin prop that R2 shoots out of his head, and the resin Luke ROTJ saber that traveled with the MOM exhibit.

Dan Stokes
DDStokes@aol.com

one of the coolest SW props period, wish its authenticity could be proven. :(

and hope to god if it is real, that there was a scene filmed, and it will be added later.

but id say that the odds on that... arent so good. :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Anakin Starkiller @ Feb 12 2007, 04:40 PM) [snapback]1417528[/snapback]</div>
Also, I think your wrong about the ROTJ hero being built after production. Specifically because there apear to have been many resin stunts used in production (Not the Shared Kenobi stunt cast from the ANH fighting prop) cast off of the Luke ROTJ hero. In partiuclar the resin prop that R2 shoots out of his head, and the resin Luke ROTJ saber that traveled with the MOM exhibit.

[/b]

The "hero" gets lots of use on the sail barge scenes. The difference is that the activation box isn't like it is in the vader shot; there's no brass, activation plate, or leds. It's just a metal block with a screw down the center to bolt it on and a chunk of metal where the black 'buttons' were later put on. Those bits were clearly added later. It had a rod inserted into it.

If it's not the true "hero" saber, then it's one of the copies of it.

Here's a pic of what i'm talking about, but it's not the pic that conclusively proves it. Somewhere out there (I wish like hell I'd saved it somewhere obvious), there's a photo of Mark Hamill standing around in between shots getting words from Lucas, and he has it upside down with his chin resting on the pommel. It's clearly the hero in that shot.

lukehero.jpg

i've got the high-def ROTJ stuff and I need to make some screen caps of it. So far I haven't felt like going frame by frame to prove my point, but will eventually.

That's not the Hero. It's a stunt with some obvious similarities.
Yes, there is a resin copy of the Hero that was seen on exhibit, plus the R2 saber.

All the California location shooting was filmed after the UK studio work.
My guess is that the request for a Hero saber wasn't made until during production in the UK. Then some additional stunt sabers may have been made or updated to match the Hero and used in Yuma.

I've asked about the saber building scene before and was told it was never filmed. Who knows. People's memories about an event 20+ years ago are far from perfect.
I don't recall any statements from Daniels about the scene.

To me it seems odd that Elstree would still have the saber if the production ever did anything with it.
The stuff they usually show in their collection are cast offs, disgarded pieces left over from producing props. (reject parts, reference pieces etc.) That stuff I would expect to be in their collection. Maybe the scene was cancelled before the prop was delivered.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(lonepigeon @ Feb 12 2007, 11:46 PM) [snapback]1417565[/snapback]</div>
Maybe the scene was cancelled before the prop was delivered.
[/b]

That's my guess. From what I've heaard I think that part of the scene might have been filmed. But I don't think it was ever completed.

Dan

This thread is more than 16 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back