New Doctor Who Series Discussion *Spoilers*

I'm still holding out a little hope that the Master reveal will be a red herring. Any of the other Time Lord (Lady) options out there, be it the Rani or Romana, would have known that the Doctor had a history with the Master. If this is someone who is trying to get the Doctor on his heels, they'd give him some info like this to knock him off balance while they continued with their plan.

Still, like I said last night, it's probably really the Master, based on the 50th Anniversary special. When we last saw him, he was in combat with Rassilon. The Doctor sent them both back into the Time War, along with the rest of Gallifrey. This was also the last day of the Time War. One could assume that the Master was mortally wounded during the battle & regenerated into Missy. Then, when the 3 Doctors & Clara came back through the 'Gallifrey Falls No More' painting, she slipped back into this universe. That was, IMO, NOT Clara's hand on the frame.

Good catch. This site has a reasonably good explanation for it all, I think, and shows the proverbial hand (which definitely is NOT Clara's.

https://whopix.wordpress.com/tag/the-master/

With that in mind, here's a thought -- what if BOTH are true? What if it's BOTH Romana AND The Master? Like, the Master in Romana's body? I mean, maybe it's pure coincidence, but Missy's overall look (especially the eyes) reminds me of the Mary Tamm version of Romana from The Key to Time season...

It's a nice theory. It also would have put Missy inside the Black Archive which was full of toys to start her latest elaborate scheme.

Good catch. This site has a reasonably good explanation for it all, I think, and shows the proverbial hand (which definitely is NOT Clara's.

https://whopix.wordpress.com/tag/the-master/

With that in mind, here's a thought -- what if BOTH are true? What if it's BOTH Romana AND The Master? Like, the Master in Romana's body? I mean, maybe it's pure coincidence, but Missy's overall look (especially the eyes) reminds me of the Mary Tamm version of Romana from The Key to Time season...

Great article. I like the idea of using the Matrix Slice, instead of just a regeneration. That hadn't occurred to me before now.

So if it's not an imposter saying they're the master...then is this master a prior regeneration of the master to the master that we saw with the 10th dr? Or do you think that this master is older and a future regeneration. ...

My money is on post-Jon Simm. I find it a little curious that Twelve didn't recognize Missy as a Time Lady, it was my understanding that they can recognize each other even after regenerations. At the very least her heart beat should be different if she has two. The Master does have a habit of stealing non-Time Lord bodies though, what if the body isn't Gallifreyan?

It wasn't. It was Nyssa's father on Traken that became the Anthony Ainley version of The Master. So, one would figure, unless people from Traken also have two hearts, that incarnation of the Master didn't. Oh, and he took over Eric Roberts' body, who was definitely human. The only way he'd have two hearts when taking over a body is if the takeover process creates Time Lord biology (which, I suppose, it could do -- no reason it couldn't, anyway).

Or Time Lords may not be the only species out there with two hearts.

Still, we go from the Master having to use the Archangel Network to transmit some sort of signal that prevents Ten from recognizing him to now Missy can pose as a robot with Twelve's hand on her chest and not be immediately called out as a Time Lady. I call shenanigans on that.

Or Time Lords may not be the only species out there with two hearts.

Still, we go from the Master having to use the Archangel Network to transmit some sort of signal that prevents Ten from recognizing him to now Missy can pose as a robot with Twelve's hand on her chest and not be immediately called out as a Time Lady. I call shenanigans on that.

If you look at his reaction when he places hand to chest, it's one of shock and confusion, I think because he feels both hearts. So, he knows the robot thing is a ruse.

If you look at his reaction when he places hand to chest, it's one of shock and confusion, I think because he feels both hearts. So, he knows the robot thing is a ruse.

Didn't he or she say as much when he did that? I could have swore that in that scene one of them said something about two hearts.

Didn't he or she say as much when he did that? I could have swore that in that scene one of them said something about two hearts.

Yeah, they did. It was pretty clear that, in that moment, the Doctor knew something weird was up, even if he couldn't tell it was the Master.

And the Face Of Boe (Capt Jack) maybe well get some of that this season somewhere
Yeah, as much as I love Matt Smith and peter capaldi, I wish their stories weren't so self contained. The last couple of seasons have been about one off episodes that either fly or flop. maybe if they tied them into existing stories and characters, they'd have a bit more of a framework

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back