New BMF coming

The "real falcon" is supposed to be 114 feet, 34.747 meters, according to the 1:1 scale falcon project webpage. that makes it just nearer 1:49 I think :)

The "real falcon" is supposed to be 114 feet, 34.747 meters, according to the 1:1 scale falcon project webpage. that makes it just nearer 1:49 I think :)

Thanks! I was just looking at the new Bandai kits last night wondering how well they'd scale with this. Too small, oh well.

Super thin engine vent detail update.
I have done a few more and got it so it works every time (mostly)
I was having trouble with the glue pulling away the paint on the spare tie wings that I had but then I remembered in my loft I had an unmade ertl tie kit that i never got around to building (Lets hear it for procrastination yay).
and I tried the process on one of those with no release agent.
I decided to paint the pva on to the wing first and then smooth it out with a ruler before painting it onto the strong tissue kitchen towel and smoothed that out with a ruler also.
Then I placed it on top of the wing being careful to push from the centre out to get rid of most of the bubbles.

wing96web.jpg
I found it easier to put a little talc on top and smooth out with a clean ruler to make sure it was all flat. It dried on a radiator in about 20 minutes but you could leave much longer and it wont matter.
When I pulled it away it left nothing at all on the wing so no damage to the unmade kit. Like before, a quick coat of primer or it can't be seen really.

vent463web.jpg
The top one was made before I realised that it was better to paint the pva onto the wing first but it looks quite distressed, it depends what you want really.

So all in all much easier than I first thought ( I was listening to the esper edition of the blade-runner soundtrack too but I don't think this is an essential detail, it might work if you listen to something else) :)

Thinking the same thing. Crap!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Yep, what a pain.

Just one quick thing, I have just pulled the rest of these vent things off and a couple started to rip, its probably better to pull them of sooner rather than later, if they start to rip just start pulling from another side like you would a price sticker or label, maybe heat a little with a hairdryer :)

Thanks spacebob....Damn, was hoping to use 1/48 scale figures...guess I will have to sculpt each character individually now. That's a lot more work than I wanted to do...Oh well, where's the milliput!

:lol

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, has anyone bought any of the Shapeways falcon upgrades for the Hasbro? Are they resin casts of 3D models or actual 3D prints? If 3D prints, whats the resolution like?

Guess the real question is ...are they good value for the money?

Super thin engine vent detail update.
I have done a few more and got it so it works every time (mostly)
I was having trouble with the glue pulling away the paint on the spare tie wings that I had but then I remembered in my loft I had an unmade ertl tie kit that i never got around to building (Lets hear it for procrastination yay). :)

What I've messed with was Tinfoil. If you take the tie fighter model wing..then put some clean tinfoil on it, you can transfer a good amount of detail to it using a Qtip. My thought was...either some glue, or a thin layer of resin on the back side... that would do it...? Not sure...but tinfoil is pretty damn thin so its a good start. Since I have no resin handy..can't test that part just yet.
Update:
TinFoilEngineVents.jpg
This is not glued in place..so its not in there snug yet..also there is a bit more details than comes across in the image(There are horizontal lines too -you can't see here)... Did a press test on it after putting white glue behind it...it did not cave in...kept its shape....

Anyhow..thats tinfoil engine vents :p

Update 2:
TinfoilCloseup.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks spacebob....Damn, was hoping to use 1/48 scale figures...guess I will have to sculpt each character individually now. That's a lot more work than I wanted to do...Oh well, where's the milliput!

:lol

- - - Updated - - -

BTW, has anyone bought any of the Shapeways falcon upgrades for the Hasbro? Are they resin casts of 3D models or actual 3D prints? If 3D prints, whats the resolution like?

Guess the real question is ...are they good value for the money?
I have 3 of the shapeway parts so far...and like 7 more ordered.. If you look back thru some of my old posts in this thread ..I've posted pics of the 3 I have. They appear very nice..I have not painted them so they are still see-thru.

Super thin engine vent detail update...
You're trying to make a part that's a negative of the ERTL wing, using the wing as a mold correct? Try this: paint the wing with a cheap acrylic craft paint, something that won't bond too well to the plastic. Then apply a thin layer of resin, or epoxy whatever. Spread it to the thickness you want for the final part. When it's cured pry it up off the wing, the paint will be the mold release, and you'll have a negative part that's already painted.

Or wait for the photo etch ;)

Thanks spacebob....Damn, was hoping to use 1/48 scale figures...guess I will have to sculpt each character individually now. That's a lot more work than I wanted to do...Oh well, where's the milliput...

1/48, 1/49, a difference that makes no difference is no difference. Just use 1/48 figures.

A six foot tall man in 1/48th scale would be 1.5 inches high, the same man in 1/49th scale would be 1.469 inches high.

Are you really going to quibble over three hundredths of an inch?

Robn1, Glunark, I was joking dudes, hence the laughing smiley. It was for any rivet counters out there :lol

This is getting to be a long thread, can any manufacturers out there start new threads for their parts? Just an idea, we could have:

Thread: HASBRO BMF Shapeways 3D components
Thread: HASBRO BMF Etched Brass Engine Grill Parts
Thread: HASBRO BMF Lighting kit
Thread: HASBRO BMF Missing panel sticker replacement sheets
Thread: HASBRO BMF Salzo resin parts

etc etc

Obviously put somewhere where they are allowed, but just so we can keep track of who is making what!

Robn1, Glunark, I was joking dudes, hence the laughing smiley. It was for any rivet counters out there :lol

This is getting to be a long thread, can any manufacturers out there start new threads for their parts? Just an idea, we could have:

etc etc

Obviously put somewhere where they are allowed, but just so we can keep track of who is making what!
This would be the potluck BMF Thread then? :p

You forgot the "HASBRO BMF Do the mandibles really toe-in like that?" Thread. Good times. :D

REMINDER - I have surface panel stencils

It's been buried in the thread several pages back so i thought I'd repost. I have a file that contains stencils of all the missing panels. They are printed in reverse. So you print them out on label paper and peel-n-press them onto .15 sheet plastic. Cut and past on the BMF. The results worked flawlessly for me. See pics

There is no charge for them. I am giving them away. Just email me directly at melvillejosh@gmail.com

In the spirit of cooperation I am looking for a scan of the JBOT decals for he 1/48 scale Falcon. JOBT is kaput.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 235
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 230
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 241
REMINDER - I have surface panel stencils

It's been buried in the thread several pages back so i thought I'd repost. I have a file that contains stencils of all the missing panels. They are printed in reverse. So you print them out on label paper and peel-n-press them onto .15 sheet plastic. Cut and past on the BMF. The results worked flawlessly for me. See pics

There is no charge for them. I am giving them away. Just email me directly at melvillejosh@gmail.com

In the spirit of cooperation I am looking for a scan of the JBOT decals for he 1/48 scale Falcon. JOBT is kaput.

Thanks for your work on this. That is fantastic. Email sent.

This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back