My try at building the 1/6 Scale Falcon Cockpit

Great panels IzzyMel...I was thinking: those stripes could be done with a very thin marker...no? Easy to control and faster results.

Wish I had steady enough hands for that. The good thing about pinstripe tape is the consistent width throughout. :((1/32 or 1/64) not sure I could do that. Too much pinstripe tape throughout the entire model. :facepalm But thanks for the vote of confidence. :D

Yeah... pinstriping is a major pain in the butt. I know I would have gone nuts, but I also know that pinstripe tape has the nasty habit of coming up. I suggested to SK awhile back that maybe if you painted the entire part the color of the pinstripe, then used the pinstriping tape as a mask and painted over it with the panel color, you could peel off the striping and leave a nice clean stripe that would never fade or lift up! Just a thought!

I've tried that... the clear coat doesn't hold it down enough because the tape itself is too thick and has a natural tendency to shrink/expand. It will come up regardless unless you slather on a huge thick layer of acrylic that is a hair thicker then the tape... but that wouldn't work at this scale.

I've tried that... the clear coat doesn't hold it down enough because the tape itself is too thick and has a natural tendency to shrink/expand. It will come up regardless unless you slather on a huge thick layer of acrylic that is a hair thicker then the tape... but that wouldn't work at this scale.

I have had pretty good success with the clear coat over the pinstripes - 90%. I think surface prep is key. And while you def DONT want to spray a heavy coat on, I would DEF add multiple coats - how many would be up to you.

The only issue I've had have been around the corners. They like to peel up. Of course, we're talking about two VERY different scales. :)

Last edited:
This thread is more than 5 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back