My TOS CYLON RAIDER BUILD

Sincere thanks Mike!
This is by far, the best kit from the TOS Line from Moebius. I couldn't be happier, being a huge TOS fan, I never thought we would see this stuff again. The only thing I would have liked was a larger Galactica...And perhaps a studio scale Viper!

wow that is some great work.

in that last photo with the 2 vipers, the raider's wing "tips" look a bit more angled than I'm used
to seeing.

Mine should arrive on Mon or Tuesday at the latest, I think. The front profile looks right to me, especially when you consider the Frazetta tv guide artwork based on pics get got as references.

Also look at all three of these ships in this pic from the original show.. each seems to have a different bottom curve profile, based on the angle you see them at:

BSG-Cylon-Raiders-Attack.jpg

I saw another pic that showed what looked like white bottom side spotlights

The bottom of the studio Raider is very asymmetrical, and i believe that all screen used raider were also castings, which can add to the distortions between any model seen on screen. Both of the intake tube things had some differences in the angle and way that they interacted with the "floor" of the Raider. To add to the mess, one side where the wings attach was flat, and one was curved. The best way i can describe the way the bottom looked was as if someone held a piece of styrene in place by pushing down on it while gluing it to the top half of the Raider when they were making the production pattern.

The top, including the wings, was for all purposes cut from either a 36 inch hemisphere, or from a piece of styrene pulled over a 36 inch hemisphere, at least as far as i can tell. I did talk with Lorne Peterson about it when i saw him at Wonderfest a few years ago and has some recollection of doing it that way. When i was making the pattern for the V2 (which pretty much became this moebius kit) I had access to a production casting and was able to determine the diameter by tracing the curvature of the casting, then repeating the pattern until i got to the half circle point, and it came out to 36 inches.

So as far as i can tell, at least the intention of the angle of the wings would be to continue that same degree of curvature across them, but that does not mean that any production model was able to achieve or maintain that for filming, these things got knocked around a lot, I would bet that wings were either knocked loose and re glued or maybe not entirely the "correct" angle to begin with. I bet they never imagined that people would be examining these things so closely almost 40 years later....

...I bet they never imagined that people would be examining these things so closely almost 40 years later...
I like to imagine a group of those special effects guys sitting around having lunch and having a good laugh at how fanatical we fans can be about something they created decades ago. "I don't know how they figured out which model parts we used to build the Galactica. I don't even remember, and I built the damn thing!" :lol

This is an awesome kit and you've done an incredible job on the paint and weathering. I can't wait to see this with lights. Please show us how you go about it. Kep up the great work.
Cheers Dave

I picked mine up at the LHS today. Wow, this thing is FRAKKING big! Part of me wants to just tear into it and do it out of the box, but another part of me wants to light it. Granted the lighting circuit doesn't look that difficult, but it will add time to the build. Nice to know I have options at least.

Got mine yesterday as well. I know I can't do justice to it till after an upcoming vacation, so it'll have to stew for a bit. Hopefully someone will come up with a simple cheap lighting source by the time I can get around to it.

Very nice work Captain Han Solo, I also just order the Cylon Raider,I need to order the Moebius 1/32 Colonial Viper to add to my many builds I am going to do,if I may ask you are you making your own lighting for your kit or are you going to by one already fitted for the raider?

Is this the correct model of the Viper you have in the picture above you posted..
https://www.culttvmanshop.com/Classic-Viper-Mk-1-from-Moebius_p_2743.html

Yes that is the correct Viper...I'll be posting more pics of the Raider soon!

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back