My TASM2, totally overdyed (PIC HEAVY)

Hey there my names Jason I'm building A Tasm 1 suit using McLeans print and the whole thing is like A jigsaw puzzle all the blue and red sections are separate for dying purposes I think you can take A look at my thread if you like. Iv nearly puff painted the suit I have A few questions regarding fabric spray if somebody could answer me fly that would be A great help.
1. Can I spray it even though the puff painting is done first and will it effect it in anyway?

2.do you avoid the lighter shaded red and blue areas IE the muscle definition effects these prints have or will it not effect the print to that extent?

3.iv noticed the red looks very pinky in colour! Does it change the colour of the print dramatically that if you use it on some parts you would have to use it on all the other parts.

4.what is the accurate blue and red to use?
Thanks in advance
I'm totally unsure if it will effect the puffpaint, though I can't think of why it would.

No. I would say do the whole suit, and leave as little untouched as possible, so it creates a strong and less splotchy look. Even the muscle shades, what this dye does is deepen the base color, so, at least on my suit, it brought out the muscle shading a lot more (and I'm not even done! aha)

It does deepen the pigment of the original color, so that pink you get when you put the suit on, I would think is the suit stretching and therefore fading. When you do this, it deepens the color, and fixes the fading. This should fix your red color.

I used just the regular Red and the Navy Blue. It works just fine and I think for the darkness of a TASM1 suit, it would work fine, too.

Also, be sure that you separate the colored areas. I have a spot in the back of the suit that has a dot of blue that turned purple on the back spider. So becareful when using the spray, what I recommend is hand brushing it. You'll get MUCH finer coats, and it makes the color on the suit match more when stretched.

Good luck. :)

Alright guys!! so sorry for the lack of update!! i needed to finish my suit asap as i had one week to puff paint my entire suit before my local comiccon, in montreal, canada. Glad my thread is still alive! I'll answer some question!
First to cyup it tooks me 2 bottles of red and 2 of blue. 4oz each.. but my suit was very very fade.. pretty white!!!

Then to mrjenzy, i dont think it will matter to spray the paint on an already puff painted suit. i did my second layer of spray paint when my blue area slick paint was done and it works badass!
It's not too tricky to do.. but for sure time consuming..
As i said in my first post.. u have to use a small artist brush.. (i took my 3yrs old brush loll) the paint all section separately. u can see it on my first picture.. i did paint like 4-6 inches wide.
Then u could spray the rest by paying attention to not spray blue on red part and vice versa.
The red or blue choose doesnt really matter in my opinion as its not what u'll see on ur suit. It will darken the suit a little. but without masking muscle shade too much.
every white parts will be colored also.. so if u dont want to puff paint ur blue bricks.. the will be darker a lil..
alright then some pics i got from my ComicCOn in montreal, canada

- - - Updated - - -

that's good to hear, do you think 4oz red and 4oz blue would be enough for the whole suit?

Hey there my names Jason I'm building A Tasm 1 suit using McLeans print and the whole thing is like A jigsaw puzzle all the blue and red sections are separate for dying purposes I think you can take A look at my thread if you like. Iv nearly puff painted the suit I have A few questions regarding fabric spray if somebody could answer me fly that would be A great help.
1. Can I spray it even though the puff painting is done first and will it effect it in anyway?

2.do you avoid the lighter shaded red and blue areas IE the muscle definition effects these prints have or will it not effect the print to that extent?

3.iv noticed the red looks very pinky in colour! Does it change the colour of the print dramatically that if you use it on some parts you would have to use it on all the other parts.

4.what is the accurate blue and red to use?
Thanks in advance

Alright, got it! enjoy!!
Mod IMG_2895.jpgmod IMG_2885.jpg20140913_112224.jpgIMG_2856.JPG20140913_194403.jpgDRO_0355.JPGDRO_0326.JPG

Attachments

• DRO_0362.JPG
    DRO_0362.JPG
    1.2 MB · Views: 180
Alright guys!! so sorry for the lack of update!! i needed to finish my suit asap as i had one week to puff paint my entire suit before my local comiccon, in montreal, canada. Glad my thread is still alive! I'll answer some question!
First to cyup it tooks me 2 bottles of red and 2 of blue. 4oz each.. but my suit was very very fade.. pretty white!!!

Then to mrjenzy, i dont think it will matter to spray the paint on an already puff painted suit. i did my second layer of spray paint when my blue area slick paint was done and it works badass!
It's not too tricky to do.. but for sure time consuming..
As i said in my first post.. u have to use a small artist brush.. (i took my 3yrs old brush loll) the paint all section separately. u can see it on my first picture.. i did paint like 4-6 inches wide.
Then u could spray the rest by paying attention to not spray blue on red part and vice versa.
The red or blue choose doesnt really matter in my opinion as its not what u'll see on ur suit. It will darken the suit a little. but without masking muscle shade too much.
every white parts will be colored also.. so if u dont want to puff paint ur blue bricks.. the will be darker a lil..
alright then some pics i got from my ComicCOn in montreal, canada

- - - Updated - - -

My suit isn't very very fade, it's just a bit fade.
I am hoping to achieve darker colors with this method. Similar to Lunaman TASM 2 costume: http://i.imgur.com/Vq948Dl.jpg
It would be great if Raiichew would share some pictures, or a video of how to do it (with brush if that works better)
:)

Looks awesome man! Is the blue puff painted aswell or just the webbing?

Yup all painted.. Done this in 3 days.... But was only doing this! Thx wifey for understanding!!!

- - - Updated - - -

Sooo glad to see u there!! Plus u post a picture with my slacker!! Awesome
I Will work on a symbiote also pretty soon.. Maybe like a branden Gilbert way.. Dunno yet

I'm totally unsure if it will effect the puffpaint, though I can't think of why it would.

No. I would say do the whole suit, and leave as little untouched as possible, so it creates a strong and less splotchy look. Even the muscle shades, what this dye does is deepen the base color, so, at least on my suit, it brought out the muscle shading a lot more (and I'm not even done! aha)

It does deepen the pigment of the original color, so that pink you get when you put the suit on, I would think is the suit stretching and therefore fading. When you do this, it deepens the color, and fixes the fading. This should fix your red color.

I used just the regular Red and the Navy Blue. It works just fine and I think for the darkness of a TASM1 suit, it would work fine, too.

Also, be sure that you separate the colored areas. I have a spot in the back of the suit that has a dot of blue that turned purple on the back spider. So becareful when using the spray, what I recommend is hand brushing it. You'll get MUCH finer coats, and it makes the color on the suit match more when stretched.

Thanks for the info so you would recommend it yeah? Would watering the paint down prove effective or is the standard colour going to fade once washed/worn?
It's more the muscle definition parts I was worried about because the print looks beautiful as it is but once stretched it does wash out A little.
How many layers do you recommend do you just do it till its A bold colour of that in the bottle or would I use more in the darker areas and less in the lighter.. Thanks man. Love the suit as well : )

Thanks to you to for your well appreciated reply I love the RPF : )..
Well I'm going to use the hand brushing method as well I think then I'd rather spend more time to get best results, iv not puff painted my back spider yet so I think il wait until iv dyed it incase I catch it and turn it purple haha I can cover it up then. Only there on the back spider and on my gloves is the red and blue in contact on the print. So I just do the WHOLE print yeah and it won't effect my shading and muscle definition on it?

Thanks to you to for your well appreciated reply I love the RPF : )..
Well I'm going to use the hand brushing method as well I think then I'd rather spend more time to get best results, iv not puff painted my back spider yet so I think il wait until iv dyed it incase I catch it and turn it purple haha I can cover it up then. Only there on the back spider and on my gloves is the red and blue in contact on the print. So I just do the WHOLE print yeah and it won't effect my shading and muscle definition on it?

well its my pleasure to help!! I had so much advice by reading and discussing around here with many rpfers!
Btw.. i would suggest to apply layers as even as possible.. ull see it will add deepness to ur color which i found awesome. Also the fabric will get a sort of stiffness which i found also very cool! But with wearing it as i did for all the week end it will be soft and smooth back..
as i mentioned earlier, my local printer did a terrible print to me loll. It was verry fading when stretch which i know is usual as the print is on white fabric.
i read somewhere thenickfox who suggest the idea of a total overdying process i though i should give a try as my suit was unwearable anyway... and it turns just amazing!! No more fading even in the knee part, ass etc etc.
I will definitely suggest u to do it that way without a doubt.. and i would suggest u to stretch it a little to make sure to cover as much white fiber as possible. So u only have to do it once.
Hope it helps.. and remember it my only two cents! Im not a pro as ita my first time doing a suit like that!!
Share results!!

IronHabs, is your print TASM 2 orhadar v1 (dark orange version) ?

You got it right yes, bought this a long time ago.. i tried a kenlandrum v1 also to get that burgundy color to be movie like.. but finally i chose to keep it red in blue as common ppl knows..
I had very nice comments and was so popular at my Con this week end!!
Cant wait the next one!
Im going to do a symbiote also with the same process of overdye and puffy

Last edited:
Thanks for the info so you would recommend it yeah? Would watering the paint down prove effective or is the standard colour going to fade once washed/worn?
It's more the muscle definition parts I was worried about because the print looks beautiful as it is but once stretched it does wash out A little.
How many layers do you recommend do you just do it till its A bold colour of that in the bottle or would I use more in the darker areas and less in the lighter.. Thanks man. Love the suit as well : )
it was fading without washing it yes. just because its print on white fabric.. it will.
but i don't know why.. maybe it was a little too tight.. or the print does not transfer properly but mine was really but really white when wore.
i'm a stupid idiot and forgot to take picture before the dying process.
Also i didnt watering the fabric paint at all.. it was ready to spray.. but this guy at Michaels told me that he thought it was also brushable. And he was right!
It's time consuming, but it definitely worth it as it seems to be on colored fabric now

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back