My New Series Doctor Who Tardis Build (image heavy)

Thank you for responding.

The photos should all work now.

slim6869 - welcome to the board. The lack of pictures are because this thread dates back to 2010 which is a few server moves and updates back. Those old image files are probably long lost. Before someone starts shouting "necro-poster" at you for replying to a very old thread I'd like to say: welcome to the RPF. We're quite the mixed hive of scum and villainy here. :) Hopefully you'll find a good number of sources of useful info and inspiration...but do also check the age of the threads. Many go back a long, long, looooooong time. Enjoy!

Generally true about images from way back. I'd not realized how these were linked. I get email pretty regularly from people who find their way to this thread so important to keep it updated.

Generally true about images from way back. I'd not realized how these were linked. I get email pretty regularly from people who find their way to this thread so important to keep it updated.
I'm actually glad of the traffic that keeps returning to this thread. Your Tardis build is often a "cheer me up" or a "when I build mine I'll do it that way" viewing when I need it...which is a few times a year at least.

Since this thread has come back, I was hoping I could find out from you where you sourced the fresnel lens for the top light?
That's one of those key parts that's holding me up.
Thanks!

As I was going through the posts, I wondered if I'd really documented the light well. And your question probably means I didn't. I need to re-engage on this part.

I actually got a very nice photo of the actual Matt Smith lantern sent to me from the BBC prop guys that let me sort out exactly how a nautical lantern was used to make the light. From there, I worked to find the same lantern for sale, which I did and which was indistinguishable from the prop. Before you ask, I just looked and the store that I got them from appears to be offline. I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to find the same lantern somewhere else today. For the topper, the photo also let me get a profile that we made a master for and then a mold.

The good news is that I bought 3 lanterns and still have one here stored in a box somewhere. I'll chase it up and add photos. For the topper, I probably can put my hands on the mold as well. I'll look for that too.

Also, because of my contact with qMX on the TARDIS at the time (Licensing stuff), I can't share the photo unfortunately.

The photos should all work now.

They do. Thank you so much for re-uploading. I really appreciate it.

As I was going through the posts, I wondered if I'd really documented the light well. And your question probably means I didn't. I need to re-engage on this part.

I actually got a very nice photo of the actual Matt Smith lantern sent to me from the BBC prop guys that let me sort out exactly how a nautical lantern was used to make the light. From there, I worked to find the same lantern for sale, which I did and which was indistinguishable from the prop. Before you ask, I just looked and the store that I got them from appears to be offline. I imagine it wouldn't be impossible to find the same lantern somewhere else today. For the topper, the photo also let me get a profile that we made a master for and then a mold.

The good news is that I bought 3 lanterns and still have one here stored in a box somewhere. I'll chase it up and add photos. For the topper, I probably can put my hands on the mold as well. I'll look for that too.

Also, because of my contact with qMX on the TARDIS at the time (Licensing stuff), I can't share the photo unfortunately.

Thanks! Any leads would be appreciated!
We want to build one as a quiet place to take private phone calls at work - kinda like a "GASP" phone booth!

Thanks! Any leads would be appreciated!
We want to build one as a quiet place to take private phone calls at work - kinda like a "GASP" phone booth!
I gave Rebelscum some pointers for the details when he started making his, but I doubt he'll remember as it was such a long time ago. Anyway, if you're looking for the lamp, they are starting to become hard to come by for the exact match.

This one is very close, not exact - but it may give you a starting point for a search in your area:

The topper came from an entirely different lamp, the same one used for the previous props and they're as rare as unicorn faeces. I do have a load of different TARDIS lamps in storage that I could measure and photograph for you. I think I know where they are. Failing that, I'm sure I've already photographed them, but I'll have to check.

I gave Rebelscum some pointers for the details when he started making his, but I doubt he'll remember as it was such a long time ago. Anyway, if you're looking for the lamp, they are starting to become hard to come by for the exact match.

This one is very close, not exact - but it may give you a starting point for a search in your area:

The topper came from an entirely different lamp, the same one used for the previous props and they're as rare as unicorn faeces. I do have a load of different TARDIS lamps in storage that I could measure and photograph for you. I think I know where they are. Failing that, I'm sure I've already photographed them, but I'll have to check.

Purple! ... I do remember. I have all our old emails. Very nice to see you check in. If you can provide details or a drawing on that topper, I can machine an alum master.

Purple! ... I do remember. I have all our old emails. Very nice to see you check in. If you can provide details or a drawing on that topper, I can machine an alum master.
Me too, I was only looking over the emails this morning - we spoke about a lot of the details, way more than I thought. Turns out, we must have covered almost the entire prop!

I think I have one of the toppers here. When I get a free moment to get out some ladders, I'll fetch it and make a template, then photograph it with a scale measurement on it.

Here's the profile for the shared lamp topper, as promised. Measurements in metric.

Topper Profile.JPG

Dear Rebelscum,

I loved your build diary and read it all in one go - loved reading all the great comments too.

I had always wondered what a a proper woodworker could create with decent skills,, toolset and a fan of Dr Who - you've certainly answered that question, an amazing build. I want to give a build a try and being a bit wood-workery myself, yours is the best one I have found so far.

I was thinking of doing frame and panel doors all round for mine and in place of hinges and to aid portability was thinking of T-nut inserts and key places.
Do you think this is a good way to go?
Do you think frame and panel would be cheaper than the sheets of ply one would have to buy for the ply-sandwich method of side construction?

I have some ok tools, a 5x3m workshop (not a shed!) :eek:) and judging by your results about 60% of your skill...
I saw your scale drawing link at post 1; do you have a more complete measured scale drawing I could refer to?

Hopefully you are still checking these posts and you see this message.
Thanks for a great and compelling build for me to look at and follow.

Ta,
Nicky

Dear Rebelscum,

I loved your build diary and read it all in one go - loved reading all the great comments too.

I had always wondered what a a proper woodworker could create with decent skills,, toolset and a fan of Dr Who - you've certainly answered that question, an amazing build. I want to give a build a try and being a bit wood-workery myself, yours is the best one I have found so far.

I was thinking of doing frame and panel doors all round for mine and in place of hinges and to aid portability was thinking of T-nut inserts and key places.
Do you think this is a good way to go?
Do you think frame and panel would be cheaper than the sheets of ply one would have to buy for the ply-sandwich method of side construction?

I have some ok tools, a 5x3m workshop (not a shed!) :eek:) and judging by your results about 60% of your skill...
I saw your scale drawing link at post 1; do you have a more complete measured scale drawing I could refer to?

Hopefully you are still checking these posts and you see this message.
Thanks for a great and compelling build for me to look at and follow.

Ta,
Nicky

Thank you. Getting the walls into small pieces would help portability, but it's really a beast in size and keeping it stiff might be a challenge. If the goal was to make it cheaper, I'd try to use 1/4" plywood, but keep them full sized.

As for T-nuts, I use them when I need to have a blind nut, and so long as you seat them in a proper counter bore before you use them they are fine. I never use small ones though.

Email me and I'll send you a drawing you can scale with any kind of a vector drawing program.

philip@wiseacres.com

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back