My Luke ESB Graflex Lightsaber

Cool pics of the grips. I have to say, I really like the rivets just because I always kind of thought they looked like they could be from that universe more than the x screws which look more earthly. My two cents.

Thanks ... yeah I like rivets too for that same reason ... :) ... but I had an opportunity to show what screws could have been used for ESB production. So whatever tickles your fancy.

Chaim

Oh boy. I can't be expected to make that kind of decision! :D Great comparison photos, they kind of put things in perspective a little bit. I do like that the hex heads have a lower profile than most phillips screws I have seen. Hmmm...

Hahaha ... yep that's why I made the effort to show you your options ... that large black x screw is how they come ... a thin layer of dark black paint or perhaps even anodized? I like it because it would actually hold the T-track secured in place due to it's length and size . . . alas I only found one in my dad's stash ... sofar :wacko

Chaim

I get hung up on the size of the holes between the grips on the MOM ROTJ saber... if those holes are from the screws on the esb saber, they are pretty small holes. I have those screws like the one on the far right, but the hole needed to be drilled is so much larger than the ones on the MOM, I'm hesitant to do it.

Yeah I purchased a pre-drilled ROTJ graflex as well some time ago ... and I could not use it this morning for my pictures since the holes are quite small indeed :wacko ... also I just realized the picture of Luke's ESB lightsaber with the additional metal foil on the clamp in 'The Magic of Myth' book is mirrored or something similar ... why?

Chaim

hey gang, first let me say matty matt, excellent job! i am going to tackle this project as soon as i can win a ebay auction graflex. but for right now im gathering as much information as i can, i have watched your thread the past couple of days and am curious to the phillips head/rivet controversy?

where can i find pictures of the ESB saber with phillips screws?

also matty is that D-ring from blast-tech? i cant seem to find that model on his website?

excellent work, and i love the stand u made for boba fett!! that picture is now my desktop back ground!

Ah but will rivets fit in those tiny holes?

One day I'm going to just have to bite the bullet and drill in.

OR, just glue screw heads to my cut up t-track.

Yeah I purchased a pre-drilled ROTJ graflex as well some time ago ... and I could not use it this morning for my pictures since the holes are quite small indeed :wacko ... also I just realized the picture of Luke's ESB lightsaber with the additional metal foil on the clamp in 'The Magic of Myth' book is mirrored or something similar ... why?

Chaim

1) those comparison pics are absolutely delightful, thank you! I think the only reason I like phillips heads is the blown-up shot of Bespin Luke someone had up ...somewhere...and those black ones look awesome

2) NeoRutty, you took the thoughts right out of my own head! I really feel good about clues like that, though still frustrated they only take us so far. I feel the same about the filled in insides of the barbican saber or the head of the Shared Stunt in regards to the rest of the fighting props and how they were put together.

Halliwax - Thanks for the compliments buddy. Yeah, the d ring is from Blast-Tech, although he's not making them anymore. Not sure where else you could get one. Maybe the junkyard?

NeoRutty - My Graflex has some pretty big holes under those grips. You would have to drill about the same size holes for rivets as well.

The prices of real Kobold flashguns have gone through the roof lately on ebay ... I paid about $75 for mine + shipping ... some are going for over $250 nowadays and then you have to ask for additional pictures too since there are two variants for that clamp holder or the clip of that ESB D-ring. So you'll be careful when bidding or purchasing a real Kobold for your Luke ESB :

Chaim

Halliwax - Thanks for the compliments buddy. Yeah, the d ring is from Blast-Tech, although he's not making them anymore. Not sure where else you could get one. Maybe the junkyard?

NeoRutty - My Graflex has some pretty big holes under those grips. You would have to drill about the same size holes for rivets as well.

oh no... is blast-tech still in business? i was planning on ordering a kit from him, i have been watching ebay for a real graflex and havent purchased one yet, im still learning. i actually found a site off here from a search and explained all the differences between lukes ANH and ESB saber and i can say i feel alittle bit more comfortable. i cant believe the gralflexs 3 cells are in the 250 dollar price range! but im the kind of person who needs to have a original...

The prices of real Kobold flashguns have gone through the roof lately on ebay ... I paid about $75 for mine + shipping ... some are going for over $250 nowadays and then you have to ask for additional pictures too since there are two variants for that clamp holder or the clip of that ESB D-ring. So you'll be careful when bidding or purchasing a real Kobold for your Luke ESB :

http://i833.photobucket.com/albums/zz258/Sym-Cha/Kobolds-02_zps3f171a08.jpg

Chaim

is there anyone else who fabricates the koblod clips? im gonna keep a eye out in the junkyard, if blast tech closed up shop now i have to figure out where to get my circuit board and t-grips, chrome strip....

Perhaps Roman's Empire is up to par to recreate those Kobold clips with D-rings? If there's enough demand he might want to look into it. He's one of the best sabersmiths here!

Chaim

Perhaps Roman's Empire is up to par to recreate those Kobold clips with D-rings? If there's enough demand he might want to look into it. He's one of the best sabersmiths here!

Chaim

im gonna shoot him a PM, there is another thread as well that has a source for kobold d-rings but i haven't heard anything back. maybe if there is a large demand this saber smiths could do a run for us?! fingers crossed!

Just got a set of Roy's grips in the mail to replace the rubber ones I had. I used my Dremel to cut the notches out and glued them on with clear 2 part epoxy. Rock soild.

I was purposely very rough with them and just eyeballed everything. The grips are very nice.

Figured I would repaint the old Kobold mount while I was at it. It's an old Blast-Tech one. A very nice brass piece.

Just got a set of Roy's grips in the mail to replace the rubber ones I had. I used my Dremel to cut the notches out and glued them on with clear 2 part epoxy. Rock soild.

I was purposely very rough with them and just eyeballed everything. The grips are very nice.

[url]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/mattycairns/IMG_0534_zps35c37362.jpg[/URL]

[url]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/mattycairns/IMG_0541_zps97ab218d.jpg[/URL]

Figured I would repaint the old Kobold mount while I was at it. It's an old Blast-Tech one. A very nice brass piece.

[url]http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j243/mattycairns/IMG_0543_zps73a6fd22.jpg[/URL]

that blastech kobold is a very nice piece ya got there!!

Nice upgrade indeed ... Roy is also working on a new replicated ESB Kobold clip as we speak ... so bear with him ;) ... as for the screws ... I have mentioned already that by mere coincidence I noticed that the tiny x-screws on my Exactras look quite acceptable for Luke's ESB :

Here's the original and notice how little they expand beyond the ridge of the T-track :

Also ... 'vintage' tiny black screws from a VHS cassette will do nicely, before you all start purchasing 3 Exactras for screws only :wacko . . . you only need 2 VHS tapes :)

Chaim

This thread is more than 8 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back