My Ironman MK VI Foam Build update 18/9/2012 First Ever Suit Up and Outing

Hi there
Just looking at your work and it is absolutely incredible, astonding stuff, i really take my hat off to you.
I was palnning on building an ironman for a fancy dress party we are going to next june and was going to build one the same (Though i would bet not as good!) as yours.
I am a complete newbie to this and think i will probably need months to build it.
Could i ask how thick the foam you built with is?
I understand i need the pepakura software.
Also would anyone be able to help out a newbie and mail the pepakura files to me.
Any help or advice anyone could give on planning and preperation would be massively appreciated.
Geoff

Hi there
Just looking at your work and it is absolutely incredible, astonding stuff, i really take my hat off to you.
I was palnning on building an ironman for a fancy dress party we are going to next june and was going to build one the same (Though i would bet not as good!) as yours.
I am a complete newbie to this and think i will probably need months to build it.
I understand i need the pepakura software.
Also would anyone be able to help out a newbie and mail the pepakura files to me.
Any help or advice anyone could give on planning and preperation would be massively appreciated.
Geoff
Hi mate thanks for the coments this is the foam im using

9f9eab64.jpg

e81ac3c5.jpg

and all the files are downloadable from here this is where i got them from http://www.therpf.com/f24/robo3687-iron-man-mark-4-6-pepakura-128147/

Hi there

Geoff

The foam most people use is indeed the 6mm stuff Demolition linked...i'd suggest going for foam with as smooth a finish on top as possible to negate the need for loads of priming work when you come to paint it.

Good luck on your build mate

i agree i got this foam cheap from work it was only £1 per roll so was a bargin but ive now worn it twice for a total of 2 hours and its trashed the foam is comfy but far to soft and where it bends and rubs the paint comes off and it also tends to tear easy so i will repair this one and just use it for show and i will make my next suit from the grey floor mats they are much harder and you also able to carve and ingrave detail on them and you cant the ones i have

Cheers :D was a good night :lol i made a mistake of high fiving a 5 year old and all of a sudden i was swamped by 20 - 30 kids all wanting a high five :wacko lol

about the foam i used much the same stuff brought it from wilkinsons wasnt very expensive and just the right thickness ive worn my ironman suit for about 4 carnivals now and the suit is showing some wear specialy where the arms rub against the chest and the leg areas ect ect, the thin fiddly bits around the fingers are the worst bits as the foam rips easily :cry but its easy to repair and repaint so should last for a few more outings.

the next attempt i have will be to ry out xrobots you tube videos and thread about using smooth on 650 to plastic coat the foam pieces as not sure i have the patients for paper and the results look promising with this smooth on stuff (although pricey)

i cant find a supplier in the uk at the moment

id love to build a war machine suit but im not sure how reconisable the character will be to people as it is wearing ironman i get called all sorts such as ooooooooooh look a robot!! ooooooo its a power ranger!! lol

Looks awesome Demolition!

You really closed the gaps nicely as well.
Cheers buddie all thanks you i really want to do war machine now looking at your build dont think the mrs will be to happy tho her already says shes a costuming widow lol, As for the gaps the duct tape dummy really helped i could stand back and see all the gaps better and add extra panels here and there to make it look better.

The foam most people use is indeed the 6mm stuff Demolition linked...i'd suggest going for foam with as smooth a finish on top as possible to negate the need for loads of priming work when you come to paint it.

Good luck on your build mate

Thanks for the reply and the advice mark.
Its great that this is such a friendly helpful forum!

Cheers buddie all thanks you i really want to do war machine now looking at your build dont think the mrs will be to happy tho her already says shes a costuming widow lol, As for the gaps the duct tape dummy really helped i could stand back and see all the gaps better and add extra panels here and there to make it look better.

Would you mind (And i tottally respect if you dont want to) but would you be able to do a price break down on how much the suit cost from start to finish?
Would be a big help to me in trying to convince my Mrs that this IS a great idea!

Re: My Ironman Mark 6 Foam Build update 03/10/2011 new new helmet done

ok guys dont know if this helps anyone but i made a template on a word document for the black insert for my mark vi arc reactor so its here if anyone would like it

acrtemplate.jpg

arc reactor.doc - 4shared.com - document sharing - download

Hi.

This happens to be my first post. :thumbsup

I checked on the template for the arc reactor and I wanted to give some tweaks to the design you posted.

So, here it is: Arc Reactor design.docx - 4shared.com - online file sharing and storage - download - Alfredo Urquiza

arcreactor.jpg

All the elements can be taken apart. Just one detail that I consider very important: Tony Stark created a new element for this reactor. The center triangular piece in the design MUST glow. The opaque assembly (that is included in the original design uploaded) covers it but leaves the glow in the inside. So I made both pieces and made multiple layers of elements in my design.

Of course, feel free to modify and improve (and share)

AlfurX

Last edited:
Your build is so inspiring. I'm not the best shape and you've really done a great job showing us you don't have to be built like Tony Stark to make this costume work! ^_^

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back