My Indy ROTLA golden idol

I'm sure I've seen a production photo somewhere of one of the idols, split in front/back half, with some motorized components connected to the eyes, to drive the movement. Anyone got that on hand?

Yep...

IMG_4188.jpg

Thanks again, guys.

Fyfe, how much did it run you to get a resin idol plated? Were there any special precautions or special preperations needed?

Thanks,

Fred

Got mine today from Bluefive - awesome!

Now I just need to get some gold powder! Fred, I thought I might have had some fromw way back when. Cose - two FULL bottles of...

Hang on...

BRONZE SnJ powder! :angry

Your idol was next the next to the last one that survived before the mold tore. I have one more here that is ready to ship to ReevesRags tomorrow and that's it until I remake that darn mold.

:unsure

Got mine today from Bluefive - awesome!

Now I just need to get some gold powder! Fred, I thought I might have had some fromw way back when. Cose - two FULL bottles of...

Hang on...

BRONZE SnJ powder! :angry

You could tell people it's the idol of the Mohitos - poor tribesmen from a neighboring villiage of the Hovitos

Your idol was next the next to the last one that survived before the mold tore. I have one more here that is ready to ship to ReevesRags tomorrow and that's it until I remake that darn mold.

:unsure

Then best got working on a new mold, Doug - I was going to PM you tomorrow about getting a second idol

;) :cool

I have another technique (similar but different) that I want to try out.

Let me know when the new mold is ready to go.

-Fred

I'm going to end up with a couple of Bluefive's idols, so I'll with out a doubt be trying this technique, and possibly will try gold leafing...

Man I wish some skill with stuff like this. But at this price, I might have to try it though

I'm going to end up with a couple of Bluefive's idols, so I'll with out a doubt be trying this technique, and possibly will try gold leafing...

I wish you luck on the gold leafing, Rob. You really have to burnish it down to smooth it out. Otherwise, it looks like you wrapped the idol in cling wrap before you spray painted it.

Another option, which I keep forgetting about, is Krylon's gold leafing pen. It's a paint pen that gives a pretty damn good finish. I used it on my (poorly) homemade grail. My sculpting sucks big time, but the gold interior came out pretty decent. Could be something the artistically challenged could look into.

-Fred

Hey Fred,

Which particular Model Master gloss black did you use on your idol?

I've been looking at the online resources out there and there's about 5-6 different types of gloss black in the Model Master line depending on whether you're doing autos, military, or ships.

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

Bruce

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back