My Indy ROTLA golden idol

Fred, that looks fantastic! I'm interested in the cleanup job on the casting. Looks like you did a nice job smoothing down the front hairline ridge (as seen in the pic Blufive posted in his JY thread). How much fooling around was this? Did you have to re-scribe any of the hair, or what?

How durable does this finish appear to be? Could one really carry it around and handle it without messing it up easily?

Again, looks great! Between Blufive's casting and your finishing technique, this has got to be one of the best "budget" prop projects I've seen.

Marcus

Hey Marcus,

I used a pair of sprue cutters (fancy diagonal cutters) to cut down the hairline ridge. Then I sanded the area and used a simple electrician's triangular file to rescribe the front of the hairline. Took maybe a half an hour for the total job.

As far as the finish, I've been handling it all day without any problems. The trick is to buff it so that no more powder comes off on the rag. When it's at that point, it's pretty permanent. If it does pickup any prints, it's easy to buff right out.

That is inspiring! I might have to order one! Did you prime it first, or just brush on the black?

Hey hedjii,

Just as a matter of practice, I always prime before painting. I use krylon sandable primer. It's good on projects like this because it'll fill in small imperfections without affecting any detail.

-Fred

How long did you let the Gloss Black dry before applying the Gold Powder? The paint has to have a slight tact to it to apply the powder I believe and I'd hate to time it poorly.

Thanks,
Jeff

well, since I painted and powdered the idol in halves (painted and powdered the front half one day and did the back the next). I experimented with the timing to see if there was a difference.

And to be honest, there really wasn't much. When I did the front half, I waited howver long it took to watch "The Evil Dead" (about 1 hour and 20 minutes). When I did the back half, it was overnight because I didn't get home till late and I put on the coat of paint before I went to bed.

I basically got the same result either way. The only thing that seems to make a difference is the texture of the paint. When I thinned the paint, I got more of a yellow-gold color. When I painted straight from the bottle, I got more of a black-gold - like a deep, reflective gold or reflective black with gold highlights, it's hard to describe. But for all intents and purposes, it looks like plated gold, just not as gold. I guess it's something you have to see in person to understand.

-Fred

More peppering with questions! That's what you get for turning in such an awesome piece of work! ;)

How did you adjust your technique for rubbing powder into all the nooks and cranies?

More peppering with questions! That's what you get for turning in such an awesome piece of work! ;)

How did you adjust your technique for rubbing powder into all the nooks and cranies?

Actually, I didn't. I just used a brush to get the powder down in the nooks and crannies and then just kinda shoved a q-tip down there and wiggled it around.

From going to many, many museums over the years, I noticed a lot of things about ancient gold work - the little crevices are never nearly as shiny as the more easily accessible areas. So I figured this idol was probably supposed to be several thousands of years old and left it that way. I think it makes it look more authentic.

-Fred

Thanks obi :D!

Ok guys, after much experimentation and even more experimenation,

Here's the method I would use for getting the best possible outcome;

1) trim and sand the entire idol, then give it a wash in some warm soapy water and let dry

2) prime with a sandable primer

3) Paint on the gloss black enamel - but work in sections
- paint the back of the head, wait 10 minutes and apply the gold powder (but don't buff it out).
- repeat for the face and then the body.

4) Wait 24 hours for the paint to cure and then buff with a clean cotton rag.

You can apply as many coats as gold powder as you think necessary to get the depth of the finish you're after.

well gang, I hope that helps everyone who's looking to do one of these, but I also hope people experiment on their own and share their results as well.

-Fred

Something I noticed last night while watching ROTLA - it looked like the idol had real eyes in there, or at least fake real eyes and not painted gold. Anyone else notice this?

indy6.jpg

Michael

Another quick question for you Fred - have you played with a clear coat at all? I know you said the finish is durable...

To be honest, I haven't. Clear coats tend to have funny reactions with reflective metallic paintjobs.

BUT, I am considering picking up a second idol, so maybe I can use my first one as a test bed for different techniques. I figure at $45, I can afford one more a few weeks from now and if it's a benefit to the community, then why not.

so is there a reson most people dont replicate that with glass eyes? most people's ive seen just leave them gold.

Most, if not all, resin idols tend to be solid cast - nearly impossible to install glass eyes correctly without having to resculpt the surrounding eye area. And TBH, Blufive's is the first hollow idol I've seen offered. If anyone were interested in trying an idol with glass eyes, this would be the piece to do it on.

-Fred

To be honest, I haven't. Clear coats tend to have funny reactions with reflective metallic paintjobs.

BUT, I am considering picking up a second idol, so maybe I can use my first one as a test bed for different techniques. I figure at $45, I can afford one more a few weeks from now and if it's a benefit to the community, then why not.
-Fred

Absolutely. And I'd suppose this apliation/technique would be no different - clear coat dulling it down.

Most, if not all, resin idols tend to be solid cast - nearly impossible to install glass eyes correctly without having to resculpt the surrounding eye area. And TBH, Blufive's is the first hollow idol I've seen offered. If anyone were interested in trying an idol with glass eyes, this would be the piece to do it on.

-Fred

Wampa did do one with glass eyes. I think another reason is what the mind thinks it is seeing. The glass eyes in a gold idol look a bit strange, albeit accurate.

Fred, another beauty about your technique is it is not a perfectly plated, factory fresh finish. It looks MUCH more in line with the aged idol.

I've used the aluminium when doing natural metal finishes on WWII aircraft.

My experience is that it gives an aged or weathered look. Like aluminium that's been sitting outdoors for months. Adding the aluminium powder on top did nothing to enhance the reflectivity.

My gut feeling is that the gold will be an antique gold finish, but I wont swear to it.

I have been tinkering with gold powder over gold rub n' buff. It's an interesting effect. Slightly less reflective than over gloss black, but it has warmer undertones.

-Fred

This thread is more than 15 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back