My 1st Build Iron Man Mark 47 XLVII Foam Armor

Hey! I'm in the exact same boat as you. Total newbie to the pepakura game. I've been at it for a while, off and on for about a year, but I've never accomplished much because i was learning and made so many mistakes.

First off. Glue is not a filler for everything.You can just it to fill cracks in the back (the not seen side) of the piece to reinforce it, but make sure you can't see large globs of glue on the front. It just looks ugly and a pain in the behind to clean up later. Be careful when filling cracks as it has a tendency to slip through.

Wasting foam is good (sorta). Yes it's a bit of a waste, but it's better to botch and replace that one tiny piece instead of ruining the whole suit component. Be prepared to botch some cuts and to have the financial back bone to buy more foam. It will be better as time progresses and you know what and what not to do.

Pepakura on foam is different than normal pepakura with the tabs. I think you are trying to just the same guide lines (dotted) to indicate how to fold the piece. In order to create the folds, use the angle cutter you just got.

Stealth has a great tutorial on editing pepakura files for foam. I can't find it at the moment, but check his Youtube channel.

Don't rush it. Haste makes waste! Trust me, I've learned the hard way.

Good luck!

Hey! I'm in the exact same boat as you. Total newbie to the pepakura game. I've been at it for a while, off and on for about a year, but I've never accomplished much because i was learning and made so many mistakes.

First off. Glue is not a filler for everything.You can just it to fill cracks in the back (the not seen side) of the piece to reinforce it, but make sure you can't see large globs of glue on the front. It just looks ugly and a pain in the behind to clean up later. Be careful when filling cracks as it has a tendency to slip through.

Wasting foam is good (sorta). Yes it's a bit of a waste, but it's better to botch and replace that one tiny piece instead of ruining the whole suit component. Be prepared to botch some cuts and to have the financial back bone to buy more foam. It will be better as time progresses and you know what and what not to do.

Pepakura on foam is different than normal pepakura with the tabs. I think you are trying to just the same guide lines (dotted) to indicate how to fold the piece. In order to create the folds, use the angle cutter you just got.

Stealth has a great tutorial on editing pepakura files for foam. I can't find it at the moment, but check his Youtube channel.

Don't rush it. Haste makes waste! Trust me, I've learned the hard way.

Good luck!

Thanks bro

I've learned a hell of a lot in the last couple weeks from JFcustom's FOAM Speed Building Files'n'Tricks Thread it's everything I needed to know about making foam costumes.How to make certain cuts on the inside the foam to get those mountain or valley folds. As opposed to cutting the piece separate and 45ing it and having to much cut lines. Anyhow I'm ready to dig in with all my new found knowledge and understanding of how to make foam costumes. I just finished adding my mark 47 Chest templates to foam right now. Tomorrow night I can start cutting man I can't wait, of course I'll always need help and opinions on various things but at least now I have a excellent base of how to do this mostly on my own.
JFcustom's FOAM Speep Building Thread
http://www.therpf.com/showthread.php?t=148889

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
7CFA2B66-3C91-4F3B-BFA8-E8E87B41E0AE-5093-0000044369C5ADF1.jpg

Next Step Cut Em Out

Well guys I'm about to cut the parts out of my templates today. Being that I have strep I was sent home from work today. I'll be working on the chest piece today and will start on the back tomorrow night. Also i bought a hot knife craft set. In hopes of eliminate those pesky foam nubs and also for the detail work.Wish me luck I'll be posting the pics of the finished piece tonight.

Lateaz

Re: Need Help Bad Please Read

Glad that you finally figure out the flaps.
Nicely done!
Plus point for able to do it using 10mm

Just my thoughts but does anybody else here think That the iron patriots neck would be good for this build or should I just wait till someone releases the file for it

Tell me what y'all think
665AC942-F405-4477-AFCF-6450C0685EDB-8871-0000079C7F501A51.jpg

Last edited:

I'd say for something like a neck the file Iron Patriot would work just fine, unless you have more time and can wait for a file to be released. You an always slightly modify it too as your're building it. Keep it up!

Well it's official I have strep so the doctor gave me the next to days off work so with that being said I now have the time to start on the back piece witch
I have already started on so I'll post some pics of it in a little while

^^ Yes, and I believe Xrobots has a fantastic video tutorial somewhere on here if you have any more questions about that whole process. Never done it myself (yet) but he put together a very helpful video.

Well I did it before the new years
Here it is the chest and back

0E6EAD88-BD7D-49D5-9CB2-1569D0A1D78C-432-00000005AB1AFFEB.jpg

EA3A34F3-4301-45C1-8B60-B8E2FAD20095-432-00000005C760CEEE.jpg

70760D31-2406-43DF-AFB7-ED9331D2FDF7-432-000000057EFCFCC2.jpg

EE2FFE3F-04E8-4883-8164-02A892DF3408-432-000000055B1A289A.jpg

Let me know what y'all think

Happy New Year To The Whole RPF family hope 2013 brings good things for you all and many many more awesome new projects can't wait to see good luck with everything you do and drink responsibly

not to be mean but you should re-do your back from scratch cuz imim2 files are good for foam and all but they are not very accurate ! looking good though

That's what I'm doing I'm gonna make my template layouts different and freehand some parts. It should come out looking way better this time around. it wasn't bad for it being 10mm thick

trial & error u just gotta love it

I'd use the mk4/6 neck. It is more similar to the Mk8.
I posted several ref pics in my thread.

I am not sure what to comment on the back, but it is not supposed to be like that. You drew/copied mountain and valley lines, which is not necessary.
Those mountain/valley can be done by heating it.
I think you misinterpret specially the spine section, and you should not use 10mm. It is a bit difficult to build and 10mm just making it harder.

I can't give you any good picture for the back,because it is all black, but I have posted ArmalieHamster's work that already finished and painted in my WIP. Hope these will be a good building ref pics.
iron-man-3-mk-8-pepakura-collaboration-armaliehamster1.jpg-131144d1355035048

Helagak also post his side-by-side picture from reference pic and his 3D model.
4B6EJ.jpg

The picture above shows clearly that the mountains and valleys should be gone when transferred to foam. Just follow the template outline, bending it when necessary.
The mountain and valleys shows the "resolutions" or number of polygons.
For pepakura sake, the polygon should be less, however for presentation, the polygon should be high (or people referring to Hi-res file). You'll see in my WIP thread, some are rendered nicely, and actually that's for presentation sake only.

Well, again, I am not judging on how percentage of movie accuracy, but we posted that pictures for comparison and welcoming people's opinion and specific comment if something seems off.

Hey pepa. It's good to see this being built. Your chest looks quite good. Your back... I'm not sure what happened. Seems to be a miscommunication between the designer (me), the unfolded (imim2) and the builder (you). When using foam, disregard the mountain and valley lines. They should have been turned off by default. I not sure why they even showed up for you. Also, look at reference pics to see the different "levels" of the pieces. Just because you are using 10mm foam, not every "step" needs to be a full 10mm.
I am going to start building the chest and back tonight. So hopefully I can give a good idea of how it should look. (I've spent so much time studying this dang suit, I could probably scratch build it from memory!)
Good luck my man! Can't wait to see this finished. And make sure you get pictures of you with the kids!

This thread is more than 11 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back