Muppet & Dagobah FDM (AKA the Stunt) Blasters

chubsANDdoggers

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
I wanted to recreate these stunt blasters from The Empire Strikes Back to be FDM printed. I also know these are both commonly referred to as either the “muppet” and/or “Dagobah” as well but honestly wasn’t sure which was which but after a little digging some details emerged to hopefully answering at least one of those questions along the way..
2EBA51D0-DB28-4633-9D07-D8C06D976E32.jpeg
CE18B80B-770D-4693-BDF2-9F49D9105603.jpeg

Let’s start with this variant of these stunt blasters. For the longest time I’ve only ever seen this one pic of this prop and nothing from the other side..
D82B77D9-12F1-49A6-9609-C593AE4F541E.jpeg

But we know it went to auction so after some google searches I found some really great pics of both sides including the top as well as a video showing off this prop from all angles which definitely helped when recreating it..
91660DB3-E86A-4F48-AF7A-BAAF11B817DA.jpeg

Along the way while doing some deep dives I learned how this prop found its way to auction. Apparently Mark Hamill gifted it to this kid while appearing on the UK show “Jim will fix it”. You can see it holstered here..

I started to pull up some of the old Muppet Show videos off of YouTube where Luke makes a guest appearance and noticed a lot of specific similarities between the two props. Also an interesting fact is that the Muppet Show was shot at Elstree Studios (same as TESB) so Luke didn’t have far to travel..

IMG_0926.jpeg
IMG_0927.jpeg
25DA13EB-367F-4909-9BBB-F2E07E8B1029.jpeg

Of those said similarities the biggest is the no reflective lens on the front of the m19 scope (just a solid casting) as well as it missing the front barrel protruding through the Flash Hider. So because of that moving forward I’ll simply refer to this prop as the “Muppet” and the other prop (with the reflective lens and barrel through FH) as the “Dagobah” to avoid confusion if nothing else. To be clear I’m not saying this IS the Muppet blaster but I am saying it certainly looks like it..

Taking all these details into account this is what I came up with for this Muppet Blaster replica.

*One thing of note was when recreating these props I wanted them to have all the functionality of the original c96 design. I still wanted to be able to pull the trigger to release the hammer, have the safety work along with the bolt side action. All of which obviously isn’t on either of the props being that they were original casted in solid resin. Yet at the same time though I definitely wanted them to maintain the “look” of the actual resin props in all their details or in some parts lack there of..
DSC06989.jpeg
DSC06991.jpeg
DSC07001.jpeg
DSC06997.jpeg
DSC06999.jpeg
DSC07006.jpeg
DSC07008.jpeg
DSC07009.jpeg
DSC07010.jpeg
DSC07023.jpeg
DSC07013.jpeg
DSC07016.jpeg
DSC07017.jpeg
DSC07019.jpeg
DSC07020.jpeg
DSC07022.jpeg
DSC06994.jpeg
DSC06992.jpeg
DSC06990.jpeg

Now for the “Dagobah” version of this stunt prop. It’s obviously not so clear as to where this specific prop (with the two screws on the mount) appeared or if it did at all for that matter.
9CDF3777-F0E1-4E29-BD6D-0F50DCA8C53F.jpeg

There is this video from the prop store taking about this specific prop which is helpful but certainly not clear if this is the actual prop from those dagobah scenes..
A7B6686C-5A13-4A13-A025-020B99F370AE.jpeg

And obviously the scene itself which honestly doesn’t really tell you very much..

The only possible tell is those reflective lens on the m19 scope. They used those if I understand correctly so it would give the impression of lens (catch and reflect the light) when being filmed. So thats ultimately what I’m looking for in this scene..

Pretty much impossible to say for certain but there is this one pic which at least shows what looks like to be some reflection. It’s certainly not conclusive but it’s enough for me anyways to label this prop as the “Dagobah”. Makes it certainly less confusing than calling them “stunt 1” or “stunt 2” don’t you think?
IMG_0920.jpeg

Here are some more pics and videos of where these stunt props appear thought out the filming of “The Empire Strikes Back”..

236B9C9C-BD4B-4E3B-AC89-29AA2450EB2F.jpeg
6E4D2E45-1D4E-4616-91E1-64588BA5A293.jpeg

Here I believe you can also see it in Solo’s Holster while shooting in Norway. Luke actually has the “Hoth” blaster holstered here I believe as well. The “tell” for Solo is the sight placement and the solid grip frame on the back while you can see the slot on the back of Lukes grip frame which the MGC had. But by relooking at it through Solo’s might actually be the “muppet” variant without the lens??
IMG_0919.jpeg

And of course back on Dagobah..
IMG_0932.jpeg
328C13C0-E372-4DD3-9CD1-247C7311C96B.jpeg
FEFCD295-F42C-47FD-BD3B-FEDB5B654B6F.jpeg

Last edited:
The differences between the two..
  • Flash Hider (one with a protruding barrel, and one without)
  • Different scope mounts
  • Different scopes (one with reflective lenses, one without)
  • The Dagobah seems to have been better casted or at least smoothed out as its has less seem lines compared to the Muppet version.
  • This one is hard to see but it looks like the right grip on the Muppet doesn’t have the same details as the Dagobah. The Dagobah seems to some of the groves and cuts that are present on the ANH Hero. Obviously this cant be possible as I imagine it’s from the same casting but it certainly looks that way??
The similarities between the two..
  • Offset set screw on the Flash Hiders (same as it was on the ANH Hero). You can really see how twisted is actually was thanks to these resin props
  • Mystery Disk. You can see the remains of the mystery disk again from the ANH Hero with in the resin casting
  • Same Greeblies
  • Same goes for the m19 scope. Front being solid and serial number and writing are gone. Even left side has lost its details along with both screws that are holding to the mount are the same instead of the front one being bigger.
  • 2813 and c/u along with the mauser stamping on the back right side are the only details to survive the casting which is really interesting.
  • All the rest of the c96 mauser parts are filled and smooth from the casting (extraction mark, sight number.. )

Here is my two props comparing a lot of these above details. Muppet followed by the Dagobah for each..
DSC07079.jpeg
DSC07080.jpeg
DSC07076.jpeg
DSC07075.jpeg
DSC07073.jpeg
DSC07074.jpeg
DSC07071.jpeg
DSC07070.jpeg
DSC07068.jpeg
DSC07069.jpeg
DSC07064.jpeg
DSC07065.jpeg
DSC07063.jpeg
DSC07066.jpeg
DSC07062.jpeg
DSC07061.jpeg
DSC07052.jpeg
DSC07056.jpeg
DSC07021.jpeg
DSC07040.jpeg
DSC06990.jpeg
DSC07042.jpeg

Last edited:
I wanted to recreate these stunt blasters from The Empire Strikes Back to be FDM printed. I also know these are both commonly referred to as either the “muppet” and/or “Dagobah” as well but honestly wasn’t sure which was which but after a little digging some details emerged to hopefully answering at least one of those questions along the way..

What's confusing to me is that the blaster used in with the muppets clearly have a flash hider screw (although sometimes it looks like it might be partially broken), but the auctioned prop does not.

I think both grips on both props have the same scratches carried over from the ANH Hero, but the "muppet" has thicker paint (at least one brown and one black coat on top) that smooths them out to some extend.

1714773226406.png

Also isn't it funny how they always seem to pick a screenshot from the movie or a promo picture with the _wrong_ prop in it for these auctions :)

v312 ya I think it’s simply broken off over time is all. You can see what looks like the remnants of it. Honestly that’s why I decided to add back in for my Muppet replica. Also I agree with you fully with the grips as well. The original pic (blue background) the scaring stands out more but in those new pics they are hard to see is all.
22824B32-35F4-488A-8994-DC1B2AEBA517.jpeg
65965B9B-E583-4D17-BBEF-7A1D4BD6BBDA.jpeg

Edit: You can really see where it broke off here actually..
FC488711-1556-46D5-ADC6-ACAEE15CB3DC.jpeg

Last edited:
Rexermus lol I don’t think I really looked at Luke’s face to be honest. Was simply trying to catch that blaster in some good light. But ya not to flattering at all!

Thanks for kind words. As far as BL printers go.. they are truly better than advertised. I still haven’t painted one but you honestly don’t really need to. You need to jump in! The waters warm ;)

Rexermus very very true. But the print quality for PLA is the same as the P1S and it’s a great jumping off point. Since u have the Ender I think u’ll be ok for a while. Start saving those pennies though cause I’m sure BL will be improving all this stuff in the near future. That or another upstart company will change the game even more so.. either way technology is only getting better and allowing us creators to take the reins.

“This is where the fun begins!”

Rexermus very very true. But the print quality for PLA is the same as the P1S and it’s a great jumping off point. Since u have the Ender I think u’ll be ok for a while. Start saving those pennies though cause I’m sure BL will be improving all this stuff in the near future. That or another upstart company will change the game even more so.. either way technology is only getting better and allowing us creators to take the reins.

“This is where the fun begins!”
Could probably sell my Ender-3, Nintendo Switch, LGT Luke that is shoddily weathered by scratching up, try to offload my Black Series Luke Gen1 again, and probably sell my Pach Store Dark Shadowblade V2 and maybe scrounge enough for a fullsize A1 without AMS. Personally I don't need AMS but it would be nice

Could probably sell my Ender-3, Nintendo Switch, LGT Luke that is shoddily weathered by scratching up, try to offload my Black Series Luke Gen1 again, and probably sell my Pach Store Dark Shadowblade V2 and maybe scrounge enough for a fullsize A1 without AMS. Personally I don't need AMS but it would be nice

You want the AMS honestly if you can get it. It’s definitely worth it and u can use the support filament for PLA printing which helps a lot. That and the ability to do stuff like this using up to 4 filaments within the print is pretty amazing and very helpful..
4AEF289C-B259-43D9-B113-2D2CFC32432B.jpeg
B3B56861-C28C-43EC-9895-2A6F34C87D30.jpeg

I really, really like your analysis.

Also, the inside of the FH is a complete mess. I wonder if the original mold had to have something stuffed in there...

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 9.53.31 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 9.53.31 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 9.53.40 PM.png
    Screenshot 2024-05-04 at 9.53.40 PM.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 29
thd9791 thanks dude. I know ur very well versed in all this stuff so I really truly appreciate it! As for the front of that FH.. ya it makes me wonder one of two things.

Either paint has chipped off inside the front of that FH or it was similar to the other with the barrel protruding through and simply broke off. The actual Muppet blaster certainly doesn’t look like it ever had a barrel from that color straight on pic with Mrs Piggy though so that would change things. ?

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back