MrBibou's Amazing Spider-man, with McLean's print - 01/21 shoes finished !

Yes I don't think I would ever paint it twice. I'm sure it would look really nice, but dear lord a full suit can take more hours than I care to count. Here is a pic of my most recent puff painted suit, I only did one layer but I laid the puff paint on THICK

I use the Navy Blue but I mix in about two dime sized blobs of black, just to the point where you can still tell it's blue but it also looks black.

also I know what you're talking about with the blue being watery, I've had that happen before and it always soaks in to the fabric. Try to mix it as best you can, but if it doesnt work it might just be a bad bottle of puff paint, I've noticed that happens a lot to the Navy blue.

McLean, do you have any advice on finding just the right amount of stretch and not too much or too little? That seems to be the part where I'm a bit clueless.

Here's a first bit of painting and the shoes. I may still remove the insole of the shoe to give up just a touch more size.

I've already accepted that mine won't look as masterful as some of those out there, I'm just in it to do the best job that I can.

Attachments

• 20656-157a5209.jpg
    20656-157a5209.jpg
    56.4 KB · Views: 368
  • 20658-157a5211.jpg
    20658-157a5211.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 264
  • 20657-157a5210.jpg
    20657-157a5210.jpg
    38.2 KB · Views: 566
Well for each piece it's going to be different. The thumb piece barely stretches at all, whereas the leg piece stretches a lot length wise. Just try to imagine how the piece would stretch over your body. And to be honest I've never over stretched a piece for puff painting. The more you stretch, the less stretching that will have to happen when you put on the suit. Good work on the shoes! Were they red and white or black and yellow?

These shoes were red and white and I used sharpies with clear nail polish topcoat.

And yeah now that that section of paining has dried I can tell that it has a lot less give to it with all that paint than it did unpainted. Almost makes me think that painting on a sewn suit over a duct-tape mannequin would yield better results for the amount of stretch. That way you can paint and let it dry on something that you know is stretched exactly how it will on your body.

Though, if you say there's no such thing as over-stretching and that it's generally easier to work with unsewn I should probably trust that. You are McLean after all.

Dude, trust me, painting these before they get sewn is much easier and quicker, I am painting my sewn one right now and its a pain hahah

Okay, hopefully last question regarding stretching. Do you let the paint dry while the fabric is stretched? As in, stretch, pin, paint, dry. OR Stretch, paint, relax, dry?

Okay, hopefully last question regarding stretching. Do you let the paint dry while the fabric is stretched? As in, stretch, pin, paint, dry. OR Stretch, paint, relax, dry?

I think you should stretch the fabric and pin it on a board, and apply puff paint, let it dry. It makes more sense that puff paint will get into the fabric better.

- - - Updated - - -

I think you should stretch the fabric and pin it on a board, and apply puff paint, let it dry. It makes more sense that puff paint will get into the fabric better.

Some updates few months later..
So, the suit ended up beeing way too small for me.. I'm about 5"11 and it fits someone about 5" so yeah, huge difference..
Anyway, I posted few pics in my new build thread.
Check it out if you're looking for more Spidey stuff ;)

Nop, still got it. I considered selling it but as it's really small, it probably won't fit anyone.
That and the fact that I put so much work into it that I probably won't let it go for the classic 200/300 other suits go in the JY.
I don't see anybody paying a lot of money for a suit the can't work so I just kept it all this time..

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually have a Spiderman print that is a little big for me. I'm short and i tried it on using clips and it seems like it will work better who is a taller than I am. This picture is just me using the clips to try it on. I haven't sewn it yet. It's not a Mclean print, I certainly wish I bought one but he is not the most easiest person to get a hold of

tulip puffy is puffy and doesn't really have a shine to it, while tulip slick has a shine to it. If you want that movie style wet look then go with tulip slick.

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back