Movie Locations & Props To See In Florida?

Since I haven't been to a Planet Hollywood in years, I could see stopping there for a quick look-see. Is it easily accessible, or is it part of one of the larger tourist attractions?

Well the planet Hollywood is in Downtown Disney, but all that really means is an upscale tourist strip mall.:rolleyes
You just park in the parking lot closest to it and walk in. Not really any different from any other one, just a cooler area around it. Easy access from the freeway and free parking.:thumbsup

Creature from the Black Lagoon was actually shot at "Wakulla Springs". They have Creaturefest there every year.

It was filmed at both springs. Silver Springs was used for the cave that became it's lair :)

Forgot to mention earlier that Devil's Advocate was shot in Gainesville.

Don't remind me. They closed down a main road downtown and traffic was hell :lol

A Sean Connery film was shot here too (at least in part) I don't remember which one but I remember it being huge news. My mom was giddy as a school girl the entire time he was here :lol

It was filmed at both springs. Silver Springs was used for the cave that became it's lair :)

:lol

Good to know!

A Sean Connery film was shot here too (at least in part) I don't remember which one but I remember it being huge news. My mom was giddy as a school girl the entire time he was here :lol
Did this happen in the early 60's? Perhaps during the filming of a little movie called, "Goldfinger"?

Anyway, this reminds me that I think I should visit the Fontainebleau Hotel. I know Goldfinger and Jerry Lewis' "The Bellboy" filmed there long ago. :)

BTW - When I read about Sean Connery shooting there too, I was thinking of Florida in general, which is why I replied about the Fountainebleu. I know it isn't in Gainesville or the Springs.

Don't forget a part Lethal weapon 3 was shot in St Pete Fl. BOOM!!
I used to have a brick from the hotel but lost it in a move.
Cool about the Creature, I didn't know the cave part was shot in Silver springs. I wish i could made it to Wakulla Springs Creaturefest before Ben passed away,always wanted to meet him. Do you know if they still have that get together every year?
I'm currently living in Tn.(yuck!) but we're moving back to Fl. (home) soon.

I have a picture I took from the glass bottom boat somewhere. I'll see if I can find it. Gotta hunt through some unlabeled CDs...

Don't forget a part Lethal weapon 3 was shot in St Pete Fl. BOOM!!
I used to have a brick from the hotel but lost it in a move.
Cool about the Creature, I didn't know the cave part was shot in Silver springs. I wish i could made it to Wakulla Springs Creaturefest before Ben passed away,always wanted to meet him. Do you know if they still have that get together every year?
I'm currently living in Tn.(yuck!) but we're moving back to Fl. (home) soon.

My mom still has a brick from the hotel they blew up. She grabbed one, and then the guy in charge of demo saw her and got the bright idea to start selling them afterwards. It was a St. Pete historical building (Soreno Hotel) which is why she saved it. Not because fo the movie. She watched it go boom, too.

St. Pete is across from Tampa, and if you liked SeaQuest you can see the place they used as the UNEXO or whatever it was called pier, where they docked the sub. At the end of it is a 5 or 6 story upside down pyramid with a restaurant at the top. Plus a bunch of Cocoon locations. Patrick Dempsey had a fight scene in Coupe de Ville on the little bridge I drive over every day in my neighborhood. Not exactly a high profile film, though. :rolleyes

But as has been said...not really a iconic movie location place to visit. Orlando is your best bet for props. The Planet Hollywood Store, down the sidewalk from the restaurant a bit, has stuff on display. Nothing really exciting, though. Disney Hollywood Studios has some SW stuff, though.

Scott

Cool. Do you have one of the Bond statues?

Sure do :)

bond1.jpg

bond2.jpg

Still looking for my pic of the Creatures lair...

Well, if I can't find it, I'll just pay a visit to Silver Springs and snap some more. I have a year pass :D

Pish... I still remember the gate access codes. :lol Everytime I go in there my old supervisor throws the stinkeye at me but she never says anything.

I also rememberd though that the little cabin where they do the bird talk on the lost river cruise is where they filmed a Coca Cola commercial a few years back.

It's too bad Leon isn't there anymore. He had been there forever and had actually done some movie stuff as a stuntman and body double. He was Jackie Gleason's stuntman for the boatchase in Smokey and the Bandit III as well as Lloyd Bridges' stunt double in Sea Quest. He had some stories to tell.

I would have loved to hear his stories. BTW - Sea Hunt, not Sea Quest. ;)

It's too bad Leon isn't there anymore. He had been there forever and had actually done some movie stuff as a stuntman and body double. He was Jackie Gleason's stuntman for the boatchase in Smokey and the Bandit III as well as Lloyd Bridges' stunt double in Sea Quest. He had some stories to tell.

Well here you go...

Lights! Camera! Action!
The lush tropical beauty of Silver Springs has been a popular location for movies since 1916 when The Seven Swans starring Richard Barthelmess and Marguerite Clark was filmed here.
Other great movies filmed at Silver Springs:
1932, Tarzan the Ape-Man starring Johnny Weissmuller and Maureen O'Sullivan
1946, The Yearling with Gregory Peck and Jane Wyman
1954, Creature From The Black Lagoon with Richard Carlson and Julia Adams
1955, Underwater with Jane Russell and Richard Egan
1955, Rebel Without A Cause with James Dean and Natalie Wood
1955, Revenge Of The Creature with John Agar and Lori Nelson
1965, Thunderball with Sean Connery
1966, Blindfold with Rock Hudson and Claudia Cardinale
1979,Moonraker with Roger Moore
1983, Cross Creek with Mary Steenburgen and Rip Torn
1983, Smokey & The Bandit 3 with Jackie Gleason
1983, Never Say Never Again with Sean Connery
1985, Legend with Tom Cruise
2005, Hoot with Jimmy Buffet

From this article:
http://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/content/travel/florida/2007/06/10/a7h_jt_silver_springs_0610.html

And this info about Wakulla Springs:
1941 Tarzan at Wakulla

The first Tarzan movie, featuring Olympic champion swimmer Johnny Weissmuller, was filmed at Wakulla Spring. Scenes from the classic Tarzan movies, "Tarzan's Secret Treasure" and "Tarzan's New York Adventure," were shot throughout the park and included several locals as stand-ins and the use of elephants and monkeys on the set.

1953 Creature from the Black Lagoon

Many scenes from the classic film "Creature from the Black Lagoon" were filmed at Wakulla Spring. Local Tallahassee resident Ricou Browning played the creature in the underwater scenes. This launched a career in entertainment that had Browning working on the original "Flipper" and "Sea Hunt" series as well as a number of other Hollywood movies.

1976 Airport '77 Filmed

Scenes from the movie Airport '77 starring Jack Lemmon were filmed at Wakulla Spring. The filming included placement of an elaborate 70-foot mockup of a 747 jet into the spring basin. This was one of the last Hollywood films shot at the Wakulla Spring.

Above info from:

http://www.floridasprings.org/exploration/featured/wakulla/text/exploring/timeline/

I was just at Silver Springs about a year and a half ago. I was visiting my family in Florida and my grandfather wanted to go.
Yeah, it's a neat little piece of movie history, but I have to say, it was expensive and VERY dull. In under 2 hours I was so done. :unsure

This thread is more than 13 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back