Motion-Controlled Razor Crest: An ILM Inspired Project

I guess that the model will be in a 1/72 scale? The razor crest has better movements (visual dynamics) with the wings + the engines.
The Naboo starfighter doesn't have that "wing movement look"(too sleek; not taking a lot of room in a shot) and could not benefit fully, in terms of dynamics, from your rig.
The Jedi Ambassador Ship could be more interesting in terms of wing/visual dynamic and would fill the screen better. Simpler to build also;)
Do you know of a high-quality 3d model of the jedi ambassador ship? Also i'm pretty sure 1/72 is too small. My original razor crest model was 1/72 and that was about a foot, so I need to find the correct scale that matches the one used on Mando.

So I decided I want to fabricate two miniatures: the Razor Crest at 1:45 scale from: Mandalorian Ship Razor Crest - Etsy

I'd also like to tackle 3D modeling the T-6 Jedi Ambassador shuttle shown at the Mando Experience using 3Ds Max. I have a lot of nice reference images I found on the Dented Helmet forum:
3.jpg
10.jpg
12.jpg
13.jpg

Fantastic recognition for your hard work; love your philosophy as to how to approach Special FX and the final results showed to the audience:cool::cool:(y)(y):notworthy::notworthy:

Hi Matthew
I've just started playing with motion control and have been watching the guys at InCamera for a few years now, they're very inspiring. I was impressed to see your project and what you've achieved, congratulations so far.

I thought I'd try Motion Control with a reasonable affordable off the shelf gear that wasn't really designed to do motion control. My modest system is a Zeapon Micro3 e1000 slider and their PONS PTZ head system, I've run a few tests to check the accuracy and it seem capable at this point, the APP controls both the slider and head in sync and is repeatable, although the app is very limiting.

Just finished my 3D printed Starfighter and looking forward to getting the camera dialled in a trying a few tests shoots, any words of wisdom on the best frame rates or techniques would be useful.

I'll follow your build with interest, a self-built system may be the road I will take shortly if I get frustrated with the Zeapon limitations.

Cheers,
Jeremy

Hi Matthew
I've just started playing with motion control and have been watching the guys at InCamera for a few years now, they're very inspiring. I was impressed to see your project and what you've achieved, congratulations so far.

I thought I'd try Motion Control with a reasonable affordable off the shelf gear that wasn't really designed to do motion control. My modest system is a Zeapon Micro3 e1000 slider and their PONS PTZ head system, I've run a few tests to check the accuracy and it seem capable at this point, the APP controls both the slider and head in sync and is repeatable, although the app is very limiting.

Just finished my 3D printed Starfighter and looking forward to getting the camera dialled in a trying a few tests shoots, any words of wisdom on the best frame rates or techniques would be useful.

I'll follow your build with interest, a self-built system may be the road I will take shortly if I get frustrated with the Zeapon limitations.

Cheers,
Jeremy
Well so the framerate will always be 24frames per second. You'll be taking roughly 1-2 second exposures per frame while having your camera/model slightly moving as that exposure is taken. If you're taking a 1 second exposure for example, it'll take the camera 1 second to open the shutter and 1 second to close the shutter, so you actually have 2 seconds per frame. You can then take that amount with a given base speed to figure out about how much track you need for your shot. I'd recommending looking at spaceship shots and add a frame counter. You can figure out the base speed from there (it should be very slow), but it shouldn't be a big issue.

I'm still relatively new to this, so if anyone else wants to call out anything i've gotten wrong, please do haha.

-Matt

Hi Matt

I'm curious about the frame rate that you used and what you tried for best results, I think you'd shot individual frames if I'm correct, the guys over at InCamera had shot their Tie Fighter at about 5fps and that seem to give pretty good results.

Hi Matt

I'm curious about the frame rate that you used and what you tried for best results, I think you'd shot individual frames if I'm correct, the guys over at InCamera had shot their Tie Fighter at about 5fps and that seem to give pretty good results.
So my actual tests for the first rig were done completely wrong. I did video instead of images. I am still in the process of acquiring the funding for my new moco system, but the plan is to use Dragonframe's built in go-motion capabilities.

I recently received funding for this project so I will be making it into a senior thesis! I'd like to make two miniatures:
1. Ahsoka's T6 Jedi Shuttle
2. X-Wing or a different IP

Does anyone know of a 1/24 X-Wing kit that has a built in armature? (Like a Salzo or captain cardboard)?

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back