Model making book.

Missed this one. Looking forward to this, Al. Unlike you pros, model building is a hobby for me but I seriously want to learn and a book like this will definitely help me as there's always a point where find myself in a pickle on some aspect of the build. Also I'm sure there'll be a chapter on foam-sculpting -- I'm definitely looking forward to it.

Definitely, Lots of foam in the book. until the book comes out you can always PM if you need any help.

Al

The book has so much info. im going to have to break it up into more than one book. if i didnt it would cost to much to print. so book one will be on Pattern making and molding and casting.

Then i will concentrate on Vac forming, general styrene construction, scribing and a bunch of other things im still deciding on... not sure if i should put laser cutting and 3-D printing.

Al

I just started a thread asking about designing cross-sections... is that covered?

Its funny that you mention that. But no. I was talking to Charles Adams and i will be recommending his book for that and blueprinting. its a great reference to plan your builds and design structures. I will be just focusing on the hand work. fabricating, patterns. and molding and casting. Vac forming. No need for me to go into that when his book is already there and is great for that.

Its funny that you mention that. But no. I was talking to Charles Adams and i will be recommending his book for that and blueprinting. its a great reference to plan your builds and design structures. I will be just focusing on the hand work. fabricating, patterns. and molding and casting. Vac forming. No need for me to go into that when his book is already there and is great for that.
I will look up his book then... thank-you! :) Can't wait to get yours, as well. :)

I appreciate the recommendation. And I know what you mean about having too much material. My book was pared down quite a bit as well -- and it still ended up over 300 pages! It's taking a long time to get around to publishing the next one in the series because every time I finish a project it seems 2-3 more come my way. :)

Just found this thread, since it's been bumped up again and I'm glad ;), I will surely pick up a copy when your book is published Al. I mostly build plastic models for fun but I know your book will help me with my build. Anyway, what I'm saying is I'm getting one. So, please put me on the list.

Also, thank you for mentioning Charles Adams. I'll look into getting Charles Adams book as well. Anything that can make me a better model builder is a plus. Thanks :)

Mike

Is this book any closer to being published? I would love to have a copy!

I am wanting to scratch build a model spaceship of my own design. The goal is for it to look like it would belong in the Star Wars universe and for it to appear as professional as I can possible get it to look. Hopefully I'd have it on display at my Senior exhibit.

Great project Al and looking forward to seeing how it all works out.

How are you going to deal with the licensing issues with regards the copyright and registered designs, models and other details?

Best
MARK

This thread is more than 9 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back