Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

Can anyone point me to the thread where i kind find out what types of paints to buy for this? I've got a blank shield delivering today!!! Thanks guys!!

Finished my blue pain last night, looks awsome. Pulled off the tape and there's a small amount of residue left, from frog tape. Can get that off easy enough, before I paint the red. My question is what do you guys do to get the residue off the painted areas? Afraid of taking paint off with the tape residue. Help me Mr. Wizard! (That probably goes over most of you younglings head). Thanks for any help.

Whew, think I'm on the home stretch now. What are you ppl using to attach the leather strap (aka belt) to itself? Thinking t-nuts, since I'm not seeing anything here and check stores and can't find much. Thanks in advance.

Home stretch also. I have the same question for the leather straps. I am building a shield for my son out of the disk sled. This thread has been such a huge help! Thank You!

The smaller fasteners that connect the belt to itself are called Chicago Screws.

Four T-Nuts mount from the back of the bracket and hold the whole leather harness to the brackets.

Two different fasteners.

So I'm ramping up to start work on my shield and I have a question. I plan to rivet the star on the shield with pop rivets but it looks like some of them will protrude on the back where the arm brackets mount. To the guys that have riveted their star on, how did you get around this problem?

So I'm ramping up to start work on my shield and I have a question. I plan to rivet the star on the shield with pop rivets but it looks like some of them will protrude on the back where the arm brackets mount. To the guys that have riveted their star on, how did you get around this problem?
If you use smaller rivets you can do one of two things.

1. Rivet first then place the brackets over them. The thickness of the mounting tape should allow the brackets to stay flush.

2. Drill small pilot holes through the brackets. Then attach the leather work. The straps should cover the holes. Riveting through the brackets will only add to the sturdiness of the brackets.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

5RPh337oxx

This is the size rivet I use

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

I'm going to take a stab at this (I've never done anything like this before), so this might sound dumb...but do you apply the gloss before you attach the brackets, etc. to the back of the shield? After reading through this thread and seeing that people have had to deal with rust, I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks!

Can anyone tell me where they sourced their aluminum for the back brackets? The stuff at HD and Lowes is really thin, which is good for the star, but not the brackets. I did not see any sign blanks from those big box stores. Anyone have any other recommendations on where to look for them at? Looking to try and spend less than $25 on a sheet big enough for all back bracket components. If i can't find anything in that price range, I might just forgo the brackets as mine will be a wall queen anyways!

You can buy affordable aluminum "sign blanks" on the web. They are .080 aluminum and the right thickness.

I'm going to take a stab at this (I've never done anything like this before), so this might sound dumb...but do you apply the gloss before you attach the brackets, etc. to the back of the shield? After reading through this thread and seeing that people have had to deal with rust, I want to make sure I do it right. Thanks!

Clear coat every thing. But mask off the area the brackets tape down. You wand the tape to grab metal. Not clear coat.

If anyone is interested in starting this project soon, take a look at your local Walmart for the Flexible Flyer sleds!!! I found one yesterday in Ohio on clearance for $7!!!! I didn't see any other sleds there, but other stores no doubt might have some!! Good luck hunting!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back