Metal Movie Cap Shield on a budget **DONE!! FINAL PICS ON PAGE 4

That looks great, what aluminum do you use for your brackets and where did your source it?

yt, I also used an aluminum sign, an old 30MPH speed limit sign that was laying around my shop. It was a good thickness to bend but not to thin. I wanted something that had a slight bit of dimension to it. Any thicker and you might have a slight bit of trouble bending it.

Finished handle brackets. Couldn't be happier with how they turned out.

44.jpg47.jpg48.jpg

Alright valor, MAJOR dilemma here. I had my shield leaned up against the wall under a shelf.... And it got hit by a falling object.... Scuffed it up pretty bad. One pretty bad scratch in the clear coat and one spot (thankfully not on the paint, just the metal) chipped all the way through the clear coat. As I'm sitting here panicking I am running through ideas of how to fix it the only thing I can think of is to do a light sand with some super high grit sand paper and then buff it as you did with auto wax. What do you think? And any suggestions as to what grit to use?

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1423447232.850997.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423447254.712308.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423447296.376535.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1423447335.129527.jpg

Last edited:
You have nothing to lose by trying to fix the clear. I would lightly scuff the area with high-grit sandpaper, then shoot several coats of clear. Follow with wet sanding a polishing.

That is some excellent bracket work! Real Rivets? Are your metal pentagons attached to the brackets by just the one screw at the top of each or is there more underneath that I can't see? I'm curious about the distribution of weight on the pentagons if it's just the one screw and its not centered in the pentagon.

Thanks, Drake. They are real rivets but just for appearance. The pentagons are just attached with the one allen screw and tightened with locktite to prevent them from loosening. My pentagons are spaced from the brackets with steel washers around the tee nuts. They are aligned towards the center of the pentagons as much as possible to allow slightly more of an even distribution. I don't foresee the uncentered screw being a problem as I won't be wielding the shield into battle anytime soon!

Sorry if this was answered but I didn't see it mentioned; what size T-Nuts are people using? And what was the bolt (with washers) connecting the strap corners to the main bracket? Also I assume the metal rectangle rings are 1 1/2" x 1/2" since the leather straps are 1 1/2".

Valor, is the Duplicolor Metal Cast paint the way to go? I read in another thread that someone used the following Testors colors:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1605.htm
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1257.htm

Just wanted to use something that lasts and the Duplicolor looks great, so I wasn't sure if there was an advantage to the Testors or if it was just a matter of preference. Thanks.

Sorry if this was answered but I didn't see it mentioned; what size T-Nuts are people using? And what was the bolt (with washers) connecting the strap corners to the main bracket? Also I assume the metal rectangle rings are 1 1/2" x 1/2" since the leather straps are 1 1/2".

The Ace Hardware I went to only had tee nuts in one thread size but two different lengths. I went with the longer of the two (probably about 1" in height). The shorter ones were 1/2" and probably wouldn't have been tall enough. I used allen head cap screws to thread into the tee nuts. I didn't want to use washers on the top of the pentagon strap brackets (because of appearance) so I drilled my holes as small as possible and threaded the allen screws through the pentagons into the tee nuts. Washers are placed underneath the pentagons (around the tee nuts) to space the pentagons from the actual bracket so my cap screws are tightening down the pentagons onto the washers and not the tee nut itself. Basically the pentagons and brackets are sandwiching the washers as spacers.

Valor, is the Duplicolor Metal Cast paint the way to go? I read in another thread that someone used the following Testors colors:

http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1605.htm
http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/tes/tes1257.htm

Just wanted to use something that lasts and the Duplicolor looks great, so I wasn't sure if there was an advantage to the Testors or if it was just a matter of preference. Thanks.

It's a matter of preference. I've made shields with both. The Duplicolor has a slightly "richer" shade imo but it has been suggested the Testors colors are a bit more accurate. I will tell you that the Testors retails about 6.00 usd for a much smaller can than the Duplicolor so you get more bang for your buck if you go the Duplicolor route.

Alright so I just put the automotive wax on and I have to say I am not happy with the finish it left behind. Its just not as glossy as I would like. Did you do multiple coats? And how thick? The bottle says thin coats but it really didn't leave that nice glossy finish like yours. I will try some more coats and see how that works.

The wax really doesn't make that much difference in gloss. More coats of wax will not likely help. Did you go through the process of wet sanding with like 800 and then 1200 paper, then rubbing compound, then polishing compound.

Yea I sanded with 1500 grit and then did the turtle wax polish. I was just doing some research on some auto forums and they said to leave it on for about 10 minutes. I was leaving it on for considerably less time so tomorrow morning I'll try leaving it in for longer and see how that works.

I think you skipped some steps. After the 1500, you really need to pick up a good Rubbing compound. This will get the big scratches out. Then a couple rounds with a good Polishing Compound. Then, if you even need to, you could apply a wax.

Right now you're pushing wax into a sanded surface. It's never going to look good.

I did go over the sanded surface with the turtle wax polishing compound but not the rubbing stuff. Maybe Ill go back and try again with some rubbing compound

I've been following all of the Captain America shield tutorials, and they all look fantastic. I've started making my first one using the sled, but I've run into a bit of a snag. How did you clamp your sled down while you cut the outer ring off? No matter how many clamps I use or where I clamp it, mine shifts around every time I turn the jigsaw on and start cutting.

Thanks!

This thread is more than 6 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back