Melted Vader Sculpt (Rise of Skywalker Version)

MasterEdi

Sr Member
RPF PREMIUM MEMBER
So after a lot of encouragement from a lot of folks here on the RPF, I’m starting a new Melted Vader Sculpt tonight. I hope to improve on my V2 TFA sculpt (pictured here to the right) and to add/change the sculpt to match the Rise of Skywalker Version... But I will need your help. If you know of any great reference of the helm, please let me know. So far I have the Rise of Skywalker visual dictionary and a few trailer screenshots but that is all... any help would be appreciated. Post any details you might have noticed that we’re different.

Please, Please, don’t post interest for a run here on this thread, they will not be noted.... I am just sculpting and building here.

.... (taking a deep breath and let the build begin)
E1711C5F-B38C-42DA-BD47-8B788889AE50.jpeg

Awesome! this will be great to watch the progress on this and super interesting as well.
Missing this run was my worst prop regret so far!
good luck and looking forward to see your work (y)

I went through someone's offscreen footage (plus a tv spot) to pull whatever extra references I could from it.

The way it's shot in this movie it looks possibly a tad darker than the TFA prop was.
TFA prop was painted relatively light to be shot in a dark room. Maybe this one is a little darker since it was so well-lit this time? What do you think? Will this affect your painting method?
Some real nice burnt umbers going on too, more-so than before I think. And pretty matte overall, except for a little shine on the grill/tusks and edges of the cheekbones (and a few other edges). Lovely looking prop.

Ad6JHcz.gif

First front view (off screen)
exRnBbZ.png

Good closeup showing paint (off screen)
KwkPO5y.png

Side profile (off screen)
Dow7fcC.png

Front view (off screen)
MWVJRxo.png

Side through the eye (tv spot shot, so more accurate colors)
ndtDUmY.png

Silhouette of the bottom side (off screen)
RmvDmNz.png

TV spot (shows color better)
4vxdSZI.png

Isolated tusk and peekaboo hole (off screen)
IZ2MlVg.png

In the snow (off screen)
uZHch2v.png

I went through someone's offscreen footage (plus a tv spot) to pull whatever extra references I could from it.

The way it's shot in this movie it looks possibly a tad darker than the TFA prop was.
TFA prop was painted relatively light to be shot in a dark room. Maybe this one is a little darker since it was so well-lit this time? What do you think? Will this affect your painting method?
Some real nice burnt umbers going on too, more-so than before I think. And pretty matte overall, except for a little shine on the grill/tusks and edges of the cheekbones (and a few other edges). Lovely lookin
Agreed on coloring! Thank you for those screen pics! Definitely, darker and more umbers in these pics. The Visual Dictionary appears lighter, but could be just the exposure of the photo. ... definitely a new version of the prop there are differences from the TFA version in position of certain elements, as well as different wire directions , their prominence and positioning.

.... also a new element hidden in the left cheek. Can anyone help me to identifying what this is or could be???
72E2A19A-FBA5-4EF2-9A7E-E999A3A8D7CF.jpeg

Last edited:
Yup what are those things? I used to think they were Vader's voice amplifiers but now I think they are something monitoring his breathing from his nose as they are pointed towards his nostrils.
IMG_4276.JPG

This thread is more than 4 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. This thread hasn't been active in some time. A new post in this thread might not contribute constructively to this discussion after so long.
If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back