MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

I unpacked mine tonight and even though this thread prepared me I'm really struggling to feel good about the purchase.

In the plus column the sticker application is mostly good. The design of the foot pad with bearings gives the disc a nice feel when rotating. Thats all I've got here.

The sound effects are worse than you think. This really is puzzling. The power down sound has a low pitch wobbly hum that does remind me of the film. The only problem is the idling hover effect is nearly all higher pitched whine. If there had been a broken hoverboard in the film I would expect it to sound like Mattel's version. The directional change swish sound is okay but a bit too overwhelming. From the power down sound alone it is clear this hardware is capable of a better overall effect. If they really took the original sound effects from the film they never bothered to properly mix them to compensate for the small speaker. Did they even watch the movie?

For me I was hoping the sound effects would save it, a feature I had thought could be exciting. Couldn't care less about the packaging. They bother to include a photo of another color board but not the yellow one in the movie. Bob Gale nailed it, the package could have warned us that they don't work on water. And that's on a long list of missed opportunities when it comes to Mattels Hoverboard.

My post about Gizmodo was to dispute Scott about getting good press. I am so disappointed at this effort or lack of. The board as a static display piece is dull, the elements like the lenticular and fur would have been so much nicer. Mattel has all the resources at their disposal, they take their customers for granted.

Most of what I am reading in regards to the negativity really comes down to passion for BTTF, or the lack there of. They don't get it because they don't really care. It is just a product for them after all.

Did they even watch the movie?

It was probably a requirement to be on the design team. Their screening was probably in a board room, watching the DVD on a TV and listening through the TV speakers - no decent sound much less THX sound system here :(

I would also suggest that a few weren't even old enough to say "hover board" in 1989 (if they were even born), so they they probably think they did a really good job.

Is there a designated day for a mass return?

I haven't been keen on opening mine after the disappointment described by others. I'm considering returning 'em, and if I do I wanna make the most of that statement.

Mine has been sitting in the same city that I live in for 3 days now. It says on the tracking its in Minneapolis. Will they hold it to ensure it shows up on the estimated delivery day.

A couple things I have notice the Clear stand does lock on to the battery box. Look at the battery box and on one side the are 2 indendtion in the middle and one the other side the are outr near the edge. This will make the stand more stable.
My board stay 3 days 40 minutes from my house also. Cornerstone is a big thrucking co. I can only guess they are shipping to stations then they go to USPS. That is who delivered mine. OK Well 1st they delivered it to some one esle. They were honest enough to give it back.
Mark

Well today is the first official delivery by date (13th -17th) seeing as how it has been in my city since the 11th I have no idea why it would not be delivered today.

Has anyone found a way to mount/hang it on a wall with out altering the board itself. I don't have the extra shelf space right now so the wall is looking like the best place for it.

So guys I'm not sure if I should return the board. As I said, in a couple of pages back, my front magnet is actually falling off because there's not screws. Yup. No screws. Didn't come with it. For now, I just moved a screw from the other side to just to hold it in place. Not sure if I should return it or just go out and buy screws.

Razorwing, I think that is kind of up to you, Honestly i think that is a HUGE quality control issue if you got your board like that, I would defeneatly take pictures and post them on the mattycollector forum website. The fact that it got to you like that is inexcusable. However what shape is your board in, the stickers and what not. I have heard reports of them being all kinds of jacked up, so whos to say if you ship your board back and when you finnaly do get one back it will not be one of the jacked up ones. Personaly if that was the only "problem" I would just go down the the hardware store and get the replacement screws. Its messed up but that way you dont have to deal with shipping it back and forth. But for sure let them know and be public, very public about it. It sounds like Mattel found a crappy factory in china to make these that did a horrible job. Would not be surprised if they used lead paint or something. I have been looking around on various websites and dispite what mattel says there has been HUGE backlash from fans. This a PR nightmare for them and it will be interesting to see how the mattycollector line reacts.

Its sad to say but this could easily be the end of matty prop replicas. The suits are going to say naw we cant make a MOTU sword because look how they reacted to the hoverboard.

I have decided when I get mine I am going to keep it just due to the fact it was made by mattel and that is something i guess from a collector point of view. However belive me any defects they will hear about it and if there is any I plan on taking pictures and making a BB complaint.

Speaking of the BB complaint. Anyone know how to properly word it so I don't sound like im nitpicking? If you could post what you sent them I think uniformity in what we are reporting to them would be a major factor in there investigation.

Speaking of the BB complaint. Anyone know how to properly word it so I don't sound like im nitpicking? If you could post what you sent them I think uniformity in what we are reporting to them would be a major factor in there investigation.

id focus on the promise of lenticular decals , they promised that all over the place as a major selling point

I'm probably not gonna return as it is such a hassle, probably just go to the store and pick up some screws. I don't usually touch screws, but which ones would I be looking for there?

since you have already take on out of the board to move to the other pad. I would take that one out, put in a plastic bad (learned that lesson the hard way) and take it to your local hardware store, they should be able to directly match the screw and get you all the replacement screws you could ever need. Its a simple fix but it is insane that you have to do that for something you paid $120 for.

I did not pre-order so I paid 130. Although I am secretly hoping that with all the canceled preorders they might throw in a mini-hoverboard with mine.

:: also for all of you talking about a class action lawsuit, Mattel has stated many times that if you are not happy you can return it for a full refund. I think if they were not doing returns like that you would have a case but since they are doing returns there is not much legal ground to stand on. The judge would just say well you got your money back.

The Next Best Thing to a Flux Capacitor - NYTimes.com
Got featured on the NY Times, they mentioned the lack of lenticular as well.

And they mention Bob Gale as being a consultant without any mention that he retracted his endorsement. :thumbsdown

There is legal ground here. False advertising. Mattel continues to market this as a "prop replica" when it is clearly not. There is plenty of evidence to make the case from the web videos alone where Scott repeatedly makes the promise of accuracy and the lenticular design when the final product was changed without notice to the consumer.

8270493884_bfe2b92ab8_b.jpg

Last edited:

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back