MattyCollector "Mattel Hoverboard" discussion

Dude, what is your obsession with standing on the thing?

I think more than a quarter of your total posts involve discussion of standing on the Matty board.

-Nick

I wonder after bobs remarks if Mattel feels they owe it to the fans to make a version 2 ACCURATE board?

Ocean Software did this once back in the '80s...rushed out a version of 'Street Hawk' to fulfil an agreement they had with 'Crash' magazine (some subscriber offer), it was so god-awful that Ocean were hugely embarrassed and went away and made a new version which was absolutely superb (in fact probably the best TV/Movie tie-in game of its time, certainly the most faithful to the source material).

But no. Mattel will not do a version two. They won't feel like they 'owe the fans anything' in fact they probably feel it's OUR fault this has gone wrong . Because they had it all planned out, were claiming it to be screen-accurate, they had their visit from Bob Gale and co to back them up...and now WE, the fans, have kicked up a huge fuss and ruined everything. I doubt this one will even get another run....funny how the current one hasn't sold out yet. Didn't the Ghostbusters props sell out faster? No, I think this one is not selling as well as they thought, and Scott's line about 'on track to sell out' is pure BS. The true BTTF fans who would buy it have seen how s*** it is and will be staying away. Bob Gale's public apology has not helped matters.

I wonder what happens now to the mini-boards from the cancelled pre-orders? I bet they will end up packaged in with some of the regular sale boards....

To Bob Gale: I think I can speak for everyone else when I say, no-one at the RPF will be throwing eggs at YOU. It will not be YOUR head on the dartboards. It will be Scott's.

And if anyone at Mattel is reading this: since it's too late to do anything about the boards, the biggest favour you can do yourselves is to fire Scott Nietlich...to paraphrase Alec Baldwin in 'Glengarry Glen Ross', fire his sorry ass because a loser is a loser. The man comes across as an unbelievable d*che and an embarrassment, and you can't even begin to regain the trust you've lost while this guy is still on the payroll.

Here's what I believe the real problem with the board is: it doesn't know who its audience is.

If it's audience was die hard fans, as it was initially implied, then accuracy is the currency we value most. We want an item that looks IDENTICAL to the screen used, so that we can put it on a shelf or in a case and display it. The board falls apart on the accuracy front though, so it can't possibly be for us.

If it's audience is nostalgic mid-20's to early 40's guys who want this as a piece of their youth, then FUN is their currency. They want something either like an executive toy (so a magnetic hovering base would fit that bill) or one with small wheels in the magnets so they can scoot around on it a bit, living out their childhood dreams. The thing, instead "glides" and not well by all accounts. This seems to be the audience that would be most intrigued by the "sound effects" feature of the board, but overall it fails to meet the criteria for that audience as well.

If it's for children, then accuracy and novelty could go right out the window for the same of functionality. Ditch the magnets, throw some skateboard wheels on it and let little Johnny ride around on it while dad gets to say his son owns a Hoverboard. But it has ZERO functionality, so it can't possibly be for that market.

The only audience that MIGHT possibly be interested in this are toy collectors, and there aren't many who collect 1:1 toys, and by packaging the main piece they might want -- 6" scale board -- INSIDE the box that's glued shut (and box destruction is a no-no in their world) they have basically shot themselves in the foot for that market as well.

So...who were they making this for again?!

-Nick

My Hero Replica vs Mattel Replica... I paid 120 bucks for a box! I might add that it IS a very cool box. :D

4JxSF.jpg

gvk5f.jpg

RXJ9H.jpg

Anybody in Canada (or Montreal) got their board yet?

They couldn't bother including a shipping#....:rolleyes

I live in Toronto Canada, and UPS first tried to deliever my two hoverboards on December 7th, but I was not home at the time, and I was required to pay $42.28 (GST and brokerage) and got them the next day.
Matty collector also did not provide a shipping number, infact my order says its still "processing"

Long before Matty collector announced this replica I was looking into getting a Hoverboard, all the ones I could find being sold by do-it-you-selfers were charging $200-300 (would cost $311 for one from Hoverboard Replicas, not including tax/customs, a guy on ebay called 123bttf sold his for $250)

So when my hoverboards arrived, and I found out about the inaccuracies I was like "Meh, so what?, still cheaper than the other options, I can live with 80-90% accuracy".
I would of noticed the lack of Lenticular surface, but the other things (strap, magnets too big) i would of been oblivious too if not for the internet.

Regardless Mattel failed to deliver what's promised & failed to communicate the final quality of the product, and now seeing the breakdown of the board, it's not worth the $120 price... So I've signed the petition and will be standing by to see if anything happens next.

Here is what I do not and can not understand, they came out and made the announcement that they were selling one almost a year ago, pre orders started soon there after. With only a limited number available upon release. What other audience could they have been looking at other than us, the hardcore fans, I mean I'm not sure how far out their marketing reached, but if you didn't know follow BTTF stuff how would you have found out about the board till after it came out. Add in the price and the fact that very few if any people are going to pre order their kids christmas presents that early in the year, or anything unless they really want it who did they think they would be selling to?

Also, I think that its funny they are having a hard time selling out of the board even though only a "limited number" were going to be released that weren't pre orders, so I'm betting cancelled pre order board like mine are in the to be sold stacks now :p.

And, one final observation. They said the board would be more expensive if you didn't pre order, its $10 more! That's all $10 I wonder if the low price hike is just a way to stay true to their original statement, but desperately try and sell more boards?

Not to beat the topic of the lack of lenticular material into the ground, but Scott Nietlich said that it proved too costly. You mean to tell me they had done no research into how much it costs BEFORE they conceived the product, announced the presell, and promised the use of this material? That they just promised away, and only AFTER they had everyone's money they decided to see what it would actually cost to live up to their word?

Sounds about right. :angry

The most impressive thing about it, is the glide feature, when you glide it across carpet, it does look like its hovering, the rest well, they missed the mark, it would seem also that Scott Neitlich has worked on his customer relationship skills over the past few days.

Cool pics Clock88. And that lenticular on your board looks closer to lavender than pink. Sorry, couldn't help m'self.

It is pretty lavender in the movie at times. In person the board looks pink and the camera flash adds a blue hue to it. If I were to take a photo of my board at sunset it would look red. The stuff is weird...

549gX.jpg

ejgun.jpg

Also, when pink is dark (no light in the lenticular honeycombs) in naturally looks purplish. Here is the actual board pink color just darkened in photoshop for comparison...

utHb0.png

Clock88, Have you considered starting a kickstarter campaign to be able to mass produce the Lenticular hoverboard and thereby enabling you to sell them for a lot less maybe $50.

The most impressive thing about it, is the glide feature, when you glide it across carpet, it does look like its hovering, the rest well, they missed the mark, it would seem also that Scott Neitlich has worked on his customer relationship skills over the past few days.

His customer relationship still sucks. He has been silent all day and when he does respond, he is very snippy.

I live in Toronto Canada, and UPS first tried to deliever my two hoverboards on December 7th, but I was not home at the time, and I was required to pay $42.28 (GST and brokerage) and got them the next day.
Matty collector also did not provide a shipping number, infact my order says its still "processing"

Long before Matty collector announced this replica I was looking into getting a Hoverboard, all the ones I could find being sold by do-it-you-selfers were charging $200-300 (would cost $311 for one from Hoverboard Replicas, not including tax/customs, a guy on ebay called 123bttf sold his for $250)

So when my hoverboards arrived, and I found out about the inaccuracies I was like "Meh, so what?, still cheaper than the other options, I can live with 80-90% accuracy".
I would of noticed the lack of Lenticular surface, but the other things (strap, magnets too big) i would of been oblivious too if not for the internet.

Regardless Mattel failed to deliver what's promised & failed to communicate the final quality of the product, and now seeing the breakdown of the board, it's not worth the $120 price... So I've signed the petition and will be standing by to see if anything happens next.

hopefully I won't have to pay that 50$ custom charge...:sick

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

If you wish to reply despite these issues, check the box below before replying.
Be aware that malicious compliance may result in more severe penalties.
Back